River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

August 15, 2016

Elwha, Nisqually rivers designated gene banks to protect wild steelhead

OLYMPIA –The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) today designated the Nisqually and Elwha rivers as wild steelhead gene banks to help conserve wild steelhead populations.

Under that designation, both rivers will be off-limits to releases of steelhead raised in state hatcheries, which can pose risks to native fish through interbreeding and competition for spawning areas. Fishing will be allowed if wild steelhead runs to those rivers are strong enough to allow it.

Both rivers meet the criteria for gene banks established in the Statewide Steelhead Management Plan to help reverse the long-term decline of wild steelhead returning to rivers in Washington state, said Jim Scott, a special assistant to the WDFW director.

"The Nisqually and Elwha rivers can play a major role in the recovery of wild steelhead populations in the Puget Sound area," Scott said. "This new designation, along with other conservation efforts already underway, will help us reach that goal."

WDFW presented both rivers as possible options for wild steelhead gene banks during a series of public meetings and an online comment period during the summer of 2015.

Other options included the Skagit and Sauk rivers, but WDFW delayed designating a wild steelhead gene bank in northern Puget Sound pending further review. The department expects to make that decision after consultation with a new advisory group and area treaty tribes, Scott said.

Under a 2014 court settlement, WDFW agreed to stop releasing early winter hatchery steelhead in the Skagit River through 2025. Scott noted, however, that WDFW is considering a proposal to release steelhead raised from local stock at the department's Marblemount Hatchery.

"Most public comments received by the department support the designation of the entire Skagit River as a gene bank, but some are concerned about the potential impact on fisheries and the local economy," Scott said. "We are committed to establishing at least one wild steelhead gene bank in North Cascades region, but plan to convene an advisory group to discuss the options in greater detail before proceeding."

None of the sites WDFW proposed as wild steelhead gene banks in the Puget Sound area drew more public support than the Elwha River on the north side of the Olympic Peninsula. While still recovering from the removal of two large hydroelectric dams in 2012, the river now has more than 40 miles of additional spawning and rearing habitat, much of it inside Olympic National Park.

In addition, studies have found that the river's native winter steelhead population remains genetically distinct, despite releases of early winter hatchery fish conducted until 2011. An interim hatchery program currently operated by the Lower Elwha Klallam Tribe to restore the river's steelhead population is scheduled to end once river conditions improve and restoration objectives for wild steelhead are achieved.

The Nisqually River, which flows into southern Puget Sound, was also a strong candidate for a wild steelhead gene bank – in part because of the ongoing efforts by the Nisqually River Council to protect and restore fish habitat on the river, Scott said. No hatchery-origin winter steelhead have been released into the watershed since 1982, and the number of wild steelhead spawning in the river increased to more than 1,000 fish in 2015 and more than 2,000 in 2016.

With the addition of the Nisqually and Elwha rivers, WDFW has now designated 14 wild steelhead gene banks in watersheds around the state.

Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email (dolores.noyes@dfw.wa.gov). For more information, see http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/reasonable_request.html.

#962824 - 08/15/16 11:14 AM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Oh congrats to all the wild fish folks.
Another great river that soon will be stuffed full of wild steelhats!!

#962849 - 08/15/16 06:01 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Considering how well the wild Nisqually steelhead have responded to no stocking and no recreational fishing for, what, 20 years I have to wonder about when the tribe will cease its hatchery operation given this little "oh by the way" qualifier: "(A)n interim hatchery program currently operated by the Lower Elwha Klallam Tribe to restore the river's steelhead population is scheduled to end [b]once river conditions improve and restoration objectives for wild steelhead are achieved[/b]."

Have those objectives been established? Are they reasonable given obvious non-river limiting factors affecting other systems?

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#962852 - 08/15/16 07:16 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: Larry B]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Larry B
Considering how well the wild Nisqually steelhead have responded to no stocking and no recreational fishing for, what, 20 years I have to wonder about when the tribe will cease its hatchery operation given this little "oh by the way" qualifier: "(A)n interim hatchery program currently operated by the Lower Elwha Klallam Tribe to restore the river's steelhead population is scheduled to end [b]once river conditions improve and restoration objectives for wild steelhead are achieved[/b]."

Have those objectives been established? Are they reasonable given obvious non-river limiting factors affecting other systems?

Read NMFS Section 7 Biological Opinion and see for yourself. The steelhead program along with viability parameter triggers are discussed on pages 18 & 19.

NMFS Elwha Hatchery Biological Opinion

#962864 - 08/15/16 11:14 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: OncyT]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

So many issues, so much material.....thanks.

#962874 - 08/16/16 09:27 AM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Don't worry the wild steelhead won't ever be back like they think.

WDFW is simply studying for a test they will fail.

#962886 - 08/16/16 12:52 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

That Biological Opinion is dated late 2012 and makes for an interesting read. There is more Elwha info in para 2.2.2 starting on page 62.

#962896 - 08/16/16 01:53 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

I saw that Jim Scott had tossed out the 1,000 fish in 2015 and 2,000 in 2016 on the Nisqually. If those numbers are accurate and are sustained into the future that is good news. Would be even better if all P.S. rivers were seeing such improvements.

Now, the issue of tribal fishing on those (recovered) wild stocks while recreational fishers are excluded is another matter.

With all of the discussions recently about proposed license fee increases and GF decreases I took particular notice of the list of WDFW taskings at the end of the Biological Opinion and, particularly, of those related to steelhead (since there is no NT fishery).

#962901 - 08/16/16 02:23 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

A doubling? That would be great but, again, the other qualifier is sustainability.

#962928 - 08/16/16 09:07 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: Larry B]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Larry B
I saw that Jim Scott had tossed out the 1,000 fish in 2015 and 2,000 in 2016 on the Nisqually. If those numbers are accurate and are sustained into the future that is good news. Would be even better if all P.S. rivers were seeing such improvements.

Now, the issue of tribal fishing on those (recovered) wild stocks while recreational fishers are excluded is another matter.

With all of the discussions recently about proposed license fee increases and GF decreases I took particular notice of the list of WDFW taskings at the end of the Biological Opinion and, particularly, of those related to steelhead (since there is no NT fishery).

I'm not sure if it will be set forth in the same manner, but we pay for steelhead plants on the skok. It's closed to us but up for natives to fish. I doubt this will be any different .

I'll talk to my supervisor's wife, she's the daughter of the Nisqually chief.

#962931 - 08/16/16 09:25 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: RB3]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: RB3
I'm not sure if it will be set forth in the same manner, but we pay for steelhead plants on the skok. It's closed to us but up for natives to fish. I doubt this will be any different .

I'm pretty sure that releases of hatchery steelhead in the Skokomish River designated for harvest was ended in 2004. Since that time there has been a small integrated recovery program in the Skokomish, Duckabush and Dewatto Rivers. To my knowledge there has been no treaty or non-treaty fisheries in Hood Canal rivers since the release of Chambers Creek derived steelhead was stopped.

#962939 - 08/17/16 10:03 AM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Back in the days the Dewatto had a good run of steelhead there was better habitat and less people targeting steelhead.
Hhhhhhhmmmm.........................I wonder if those factors correlate with the decline?

#962945 - 08/17/16 12:01 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

The Nisqually is a good wild gene bank candidate river because of its history of very few hatchery steelhead being stocked. It is great news that the escapement is up significantly this year, but that is following the trend of improved wild steelhead escapements in PS this year. A good escapement in one year doesn't equal recovery however. Good escapements need to be the rule and not the exception.

The Elwha is the poster child for wild gene bank rivers. I expect rapid and large increases in wild salmon and steelhead production since the river has been re-opened to anadromous access.

#962948 - 08/17/16 12:21 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I hope to proved wrong but I think the Elwha will struggle on in mediocrity as in stream productivity will be kept fairly low. When escapements apss the multi-millions annually then it will boom.

#962950 - 08/17/16 12:36 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

I found it interesting that there were two scientific estimates of historic steelhead returns on the Elwha - one at over 10,000 and the other just over 5,000. I understand there is great difficulty in coming up with that number but it does remind us that we need to have reasonably good numbers as a targeted "recovery" goal. Of course, that is layman's thought.

#962952 - 08/17/16 12:53 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

"The Nisqually is a good wild gene bank candidate river because of its history of very few hatchery steelhead being stocked."

A dammed river, years of hatchery stocking, and wild steelhead sounds like an interesting combination.
Are these fish man made wild steelhead?

#962956 - 08/17/16 02:18 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Don't think so but certainly supports the conclusion that hatchery ERSH don't "contaminate" the genetics of native wild fish to the extent certain folks would have the masses believe.

I will add that I am old enough to have floated the Nisqually in the spring time and those were big, strong fish. Would be nice to be able to do that again.

#962957 - 08/17/16 02:34 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The Nisqualy may have dams but there is some evidence and agreement that there was an impassable barrier now beneath LaGrande. Flows were certainly disrupted but linear habitat is still there.

The loss of Muck Creek, I have been told, was huge. It used to produce tons of smolts. Now, not so much.

As to actually stocking hatchery fish, I think that was only done in a couple of years and certainly not over the long run seen elsewhere.

It is probably the single best PS river (maybe statewide) to make into a gene bank system where the remaining genetics are closest to what was originally there. And, those fish have had access to all the river so they could evolve with it.

#962959 - 08/17/16 03:11 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

In the 70s we would launch the sled at the highest tank bridge and run up river to a big flat below the dam.
Freedrifting our way back down.
The fish were big, wild, and free.

I acknowledge contributing to their demise.
You shoulda been there.

#962961 - 08/17/16 03:40 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: Carcassman]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
As to actually stocking hatchery fish, I think that was only done in a couple of years and certainly not over the long run seen elsewhere.

According to the Nisqually River Steelhead Recovery Plan, hatchery stocking of both winter and summer-run fish was pretty consistent between the late 1950's and early 1980's for WSH and mid-1990's for SSH.

WSH stocking was consistent from 1958 - 1981 with the largest releases in 1972 (204,000+) and 1975 (175,000+). Not including those years the releases were fairly small, averaging ~ 21,000 smolts/year. SSH stocking was consistent from 1964 - 1994, averaging 23,000+ smolts/year.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |