THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#963515 - 08/29/16 06:58 AM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Not just the Tribe. The State Park sits on what atlas used to be to primary steelhead spawning area of the Mashel, which was a key area for the watershed. WDFW was also working to limit access, at least during spawning and would probably have been concerned about fishing and other in stream activities in that reach.

#963517 - 08/29/16 07:27 AM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: GPS]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Originally Posted By: GPS
Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
In the 70s we would launch the sled at the highest tank bridge and run up river to a big flat below the dam.
Freedrifting our way back down.
The fish were big, wild, and free.

I acknowledge contributing to their demise.
You shoulda been there.

I assume you mean that you ran your sled from the tank crossing upstream to the Centralia diversion dam. Elsewise I would so love to see you run any sled upstream past the diversion dam up to La Grande Dam, not to mention freedrifting back downstream, even if only from McKenna. There's some gnarly water that chews up driftboats. I'd like to see the sled that freedrifted back down through that. And who "freedrifted" in the 70s? Thought it was only boondoggin' back then.

Salmo,
There was actually a few that free drifted.
Dragging an anchor sucked.
Not to mention there where very few sleds back then.
We would go out to 4 corners in Yelm, take a slight right(Bald hills road?), go out there quite a ways turn left on a gravel road, drop down hill, and head to an old timber structure bridge. The launch was on our side of the river below the bridge. The river from there up to the big tall dam wound through a bunch of alder flats with log jams on the sides.
Your right you would have liked to have seen it and it's obvious you didn't. It was epic and easily runnable with a sled.

The bridge you're referring to could be the Weyerhaueser bridge right above the mouth of the Mashel. They had a little camp area there you could launch from. The roads to it have not been open since like the 80's. I think state parks actually bought it and a park is somewhere in the works. Or it could have been Peissner Bridge, which is closer to Bald Hill road and was used as a launch.

The "Tank Bridge" is miles below, with the impassable diversion dam in between.

Thanks for the information.
I honestly have no clue but will never forget some of the experiences there that I lived as a kid. God stuff.

#963724 - 09/01/16 06:14 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
linestretcher Offline
Smolt

Loc: roy,wa.u.s.
if you actually floated a drift boat from the mouth of the mashelle then you should know that you could go around the diversion dam that is located on Wilcox farmland by usuing the old boat trailer that was left there so you could hand load your boat then pull it over a hundred yards around the diversion dam, if you didn't know that then you never floated it. and there were mass sleds back then too and the NDN's did F up that river with their nets.

#963746 - 09/02/16 09:42 AM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

What????
The internet wizards don't know what they are talking about???

Imagine that.

#963778 - 09/04/16 06:22 AM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: linestretcher]
GPS Offline
Parr

Originally Posted By: linestretcher
if you actually floated a drift boat from the mouth of the mashelle then you should know that you could go around the diversion dam that is located on Wilcox farmland by usuing the old boat trailer that was left there so you could hand load your boat then pull it over a hundred yards around the diversion dam, if you didn't know that then you never floated it. and there were mass sleds back then too and the NDN's did F up that river with their nets.

I'm not really sure what your point is, or if you were referring to my post, but here goes:

The trailer at the diversion dam got to be a useless pos through the years and it became easier to just drag around the dam on the rocks. It was some work to drag a driftboat around it, but definitely do-able.

I never saw or heard of anyone dragging a sled around the dam (maybe some did? -hopefully a very small sled), but I wouldn't try it, personally. And wasn't the post about sleds?

My only point was the earlier post had to have mentioned the wrong bridge. A run in a sled from "the tank bridge" (just above the reservation) to the "high dam" (Lagrand) would be a pretty bad-ass endeavor, especially including the 100 yard drag around the diversion dam (which you'd have to do twice). And some people might actually call it foolish- not only because of the miles involved- but considering there were usable launches on both sides.
But since some people are "wizards", I'm sure you pulled it off.

Edited by GPS (09/05/16 12:47 PM)

#963809 - 09/05/16 01:51 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: Carcassman]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
I hope to proved wrong but I think the Elwha will struggle on in mediocrity as in stream productivity will be kept fairly low. When escapements apss the multi-millions annually then it will boom.

I hope you're proved wrong too; the Elwha has a special place in my heart. Crossing fingers on this one.

Edited by Sol Duc (09/05/16 01:52 PM)

- Albert Einstein.

#964051 - 09/08/16 07:57 AM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: bushbear]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

"But since some people are "wizards", I'm sure you pulled it off."
Believe it or not it didn't take a Wizard to fish the upper Nisqually from a sled.

Sorry the young bucks missed out on the real WA fishery.
They will never get to see the gem things once were around here.
I would recommend they immediately take a trip to remote Alaska so they can see how it once was around here.
Hell Kennedy creek use to be better steelhead fishing than most of today's rivers.

The libatards have sucked the government tut while doing nothing but cashing Uncle Sam's checks.
Now they all want to pretend they are the conservationist who will save it.
WA is ruined.
Get over it.

#964133 - 09/08/16 10:29 PM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
GPS Offline
Parr

"But since some people are "wizards", I'm sure you pulled it off."
Believe it or not it didn't take a Wizard to fish the upper Nisqually from a sled.

Sorry the young bucks missed out on the real WA fishery.
They will never get to see the gem things once were around here.
I would recommend they immediately take a trip to remote Alaska so they can see how it once was around here.
Hell Kennedy creek use to be better steelhead fishing than most of today's rivers.

The libatards have sucked the government tut while doing nothing but cashing Uncle Sam's checks.
Now they all want to pretend they are the conservationist who will save it.
WA is ruined.
Get over it.

yeah. good points.

#964136 - 09/09/16 01:02 AM Re: Elwha & Nisqually steelhead gene bank rivers [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
dwatkins Offline
I'm Idaho!

fu.ck man frown

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (steely slammer, wolverine, 2 invisible), 941 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645366 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |