Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#963025 - 08/18/16 01:28 PM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
Take-Down Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I was wondering the same thing. The WDFW webpage says "quota reached' for both MA 9 and MA 10, but is that accurate, or was it just 'season ended' in MA 10? WDFW reported only half of the quota caught a week prior to the end of the season and I didn't see very many fish being caught in the last week around Jeff Head/Shilshole. I would have preferred an extended MA 10 season over a 2 fish increase in the last week.

Relatedly, if you've ever seen the historical Ballard lock fish counts for Chinook, it's pretty clear that the tribes do a fantastic job of closing down the Chinook season in MA 10 a couple weeks (or earlier if quota met) before the Lake Washington Chinook return to the locks in healthy numbers. Would be nice to see an increased emphasis on carving out effective seasons (as opposed to just 'opportunity') in MA 10 in the coming years. 'Opportunity' is good for tackle stores and boat sellers. Effective seasons are good for families.

#963033 - 08/18/16 01:51 PM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
"Effective season" setting is the reasoning behind the 10 increase in limit, and then closure, rather than just extending the season. They are worried about incidental encounters with the "imperiled" coho stock....

... what remains to be seen is what our actual coho escapement numbers will look like.
I want to be a fisherman.

#963044 - 08/18/16 02:39 PM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
The issue at the heart of this matter is that within the List of Agreed fisheries, MA10 was scheduled to close on that date, regardless of the recreational anglers ability to meet the quota. This year, the MA10 Quota was left on 8/15 at 76% with 1064 of 1395 fish caught.

#963083 - 08/19/16 08:15 AM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
Take-Down Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks for the numbers Sky-Guy. Probably have only myself to blame as I have never seriously considered trying to participate in the NOF process. That said, I think MA-10 gets treated like an after-thought relative to MA-9, and that's not right as the run timing is different. One can only hope that in future years when Coho numbers are back up and we don't have encounter issues, we could stretch the MA-10 hatchery Chinook season by 2 - 4 weeks to provide for better fishing. If necessary, I'd support MA-10 starting a couple weeks after MA-9, if the hatchery Chinook season in MA-10 could then stretch through Labor Day.

#963095 - 08/19/16 11:17 AM Re: Salmon quota updates [Re: SaltyDawg27]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Not sure of the actual coho encounter risk but it surely was a factor in setting Chinook seasons. But note that MA 11 will close early -Friday midnight - based upon adult Chinook encounters (as I understand it). Guess everyone wanting to fish "locally" should make the run to south Hood Canal.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1059 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645360 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |