Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#963368 - 08/25/16 07:36 AM Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

WDFW and KING 5 are reporting that the third party software WDFW and most other state wildlife agencies use for license sales has a security vulnerability that has been exploited, leaking an as yet unknown amount of personal data from various databases, including Washington's. Consider the information you provide when you purchase a license, then decide for yourself whether you should be alarmed.

Anyway, license sales have been suspended until such time as the threat has been assessed and neutralized.

Not trying to place blame on WDFW. Just spreading the delightful news.

#963369 - 08/25/16 07:51 AM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
This may gum up my early-season bowhunting. On the other hand, saves some coin.

#963370 - 08/25/16 08:05 AM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Seems it also prevents reporting crab CRC card data.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#963371 - 08/25/16 08:08 AM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Bucket/Good Sport Offline
Kitsap's Crankiest Contractor

Loc: Poulsbo
Time ta go fishin or hunting. Just because THEY cant keep the [Bleeeeep!] secure, shouldn't mean we all lose our rights to fish and hunt.

#963372 - 08/25/16 08:13 AM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: FleaFlickr02]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

"They" could screw up a wet dream.

#963373 - 08/25/16 08:29 AM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Not "could". "Do"

#963380 - 08/25/16 09:54 AM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: FleaFlickr02]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Hold on, folks. As much fun as it may be, we really shouldn't blame this one on WDFW. They didn't develop the software that got hacked, and there's no way they could have been assured before buying it was vulnerability-free. Simply too many people out there with huge brains and zero ethics, who would rather screw you and I out of our money than get a job, for there to ever be any assurance any system is completely secure.

I don't think suspended license sales means any of us who have already purchased licenses can't hunt or fish while this is going on, so most of us only need to worry about the fact that our names, birthdates, addresses, WA license numbers, and Social Security numbers may all have been compromised. This has potential to be the largest PII data breach of this kind in history. Let's hope they didn't get all of it, for every licensed angler/hunter in most of the US....

#963381 - 08/25/16 09:58 AM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: FleaFlickr02]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

So didn't WDFW contract with this company???

In the contracting world the general contractor is liable for his subcontractor's failures.

On the public side no one is responsible for anything and failure is the norm.

#963386 - 08/25/16 10:42 AM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: FleaFlickr02]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I'm no lawyer (you know a great post is coming when those are the first words), but I would venture to guess that contractual liabilities for software that stores personally identifiable information are a much more complicated matter than the liability a contractor in other industries (construction, e.g.) takes on when he/she hires a sub. I would be surprised to learn that the laws around data breaches didn't place ultimate responsibility for protection of the personal data squarely on the end user opting to provide it. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure no technology firm would be willing to take on the risk to develop such systems.

If the government is to blame for this in any respect, I think it would be in that the Feds continue to use SSN as the key to open every door into our life histories. It's stored in so many databases (many not even managed by the govt.) at this point that none of us is safe from identity theft. Seems to me there should be one, read only resource (possibly replicated down from the system that stores the master SS records) that any application that relies on a person's identity must interface with in order to validate SSNs. Once a SSN has been validated, that system should return a code that corresponds to that SSN (but is not an acceptable means of identification for any other purpose), which becomes the value stored in the application database. That way, if a breach occurs, the offender has a set of useless codes that can't be used to steal identities. Of course, that assumes nobody manages to hack the master system, which is not a safe assumption.

Online commerce is a wonderful world that is unfortunately wrought with peril. Enter at your own risk (at least I assume that's what I've done).

#963390 - 08/25/16 11:49 AM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: FleaFlickr02]
geljockey Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA
NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
August 25, 2016
Contacts: WDFW licensing customer service, (360) 902-2464;
Bruce Botka, WDFW media relations, (360) 902-2262;
Andrew Garber, OCS, (360) 407-7995

WDFW offers free fishing while license sales are suspended

OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is offering “free fishing” days through Tuesday while the agency’s license sales system is down.

Earlier this week, WDFW temporarily suspended the sale of fishing and hunting licenses. The agency is working with the state Office of Cyber Security (OCS) to investigate a vulnerability in an outside vendor’s license sales system and is working to restore sales as soon as possible.

In the meantime, WDFW will not require anglers to have a fishing license to fish or gather shellfish in any waters open to fishing in Washington state, beginning today through Tuesday, Aug. 30, said Jim Unsworth, WDFW director. Likewise, the department will not require anglers to have a vehicle access pass to park at WDFW water access sites. Other rules, such as seasons, size limits, bag limits, and closures, will remain in effect.

Before heading out, anglers should also check the current fishing regulations at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/.

Requirements for all anglers to have fishing licenses, catch record cards, and endorsements will be back in effect on Wednesday, Aug. 31.

“We are as frustrated as our customers over the licensing system being shut down, but we want to make sure anglers can still hit the waters over the next several days,” Unsworth said.

Hunters will have to wait to buy licenses until the sales system can be restored, Unsworth noted. The agency anticipates having a sales channel available before major hunting seasons – such as archery deer, elk and cougar – begin in September, he said.

“I appreciate our customers’ patience while we work through this security vulnerability with our license sales vendor,” Unsworth said. “The department is taking the steps necessary to ensure the sales site is secure and our customers’ information is protected.”

WDFW will provide updates about license sales on its webpage at http://wdfw.wa.gov/, and through its Facebook site at www.facebook.com/WashingtonFishWildlife.

Department officials said a Columbia River Salmon and Steelhead Endorsement will not be needed to fish for salmon and steelhead in open areas of the Columbia River. Anglers will not need a two-pole endorsement to fish with two-poles in select waters where two pole fishing is permitted. Crabbers also will not need a Puget Sound crab endorsement through Aug. 30.

Anglers will not be required to complete a catch record card for any salmon, steelhead, sturgeon or crab they catch from Aug. 25 through Aug. 30.

Through Aug. 30, anglers will not need a Discover Pass to park at any of the nearly 700 water-access sites maintained by WDFW. The Discover Pass will still be required to access lands managed by the Washington Department of Natural Resources and Washington State Parks. The parks department had previously announced that it is not requiring a Discover Pass on Aug. 25 to celebrate the National Park Service’s 100th anniversary.

Discover Pass sales will continue at local dealerships and at state parks locations. More information on Discover Pass sales locations is available on WDFW’s website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/discoverpass/.

Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email (dolores.noyes@dfw.wa.gov). For more information, see http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/reasonable_request.html.

#963393 - 08/25/16 12:01 PM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: FleaFlickr02]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
Quote:
Anglers will not be required to complete a catch record card for any salmon, steelhead, sturgeon or crab they catch from Aug. 25 through Aug. 30.

Wow, didn't expect that. I guess if someone had a trip planned for months there's no other way around it.

#963394 - 08/25/16 12:23 PM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: FleaFlickr02]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Hadn't seen the Dept.'s reaction. As much as I don't agree that this is a good argument for going back to pushing paper across desks, I think it's an excellent argument for a paper form that can be filled out (with fees collected) at times when the system is down. Retailers could mail in carbon copies to WDFW for manual data entry when the system is back online. A system under maintenance should never prevent citizens from accessing government services. Pain is one thing; denial of service is quite another.

I'm also not sure it's a good thing that they turned the whole thing into a free-for-all in the meantime. Absent any other means to sell licenses, I guess they don't have much choice, but the potential, lost revenue (especially from out-of-state anglers, who would comprise most of the people buying licenses this time of year) and the "bending of rules" that could occur during this period make it a real bummer.

#963395 - 08/25/16 12:28 PM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: FleaFlickr02]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Sweet. I'm hoping to take my fiance fishing with CanyonMan and Sleddddddder this weekend! Free fishing!

#963409 - 08/25/16 02:16 PM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: The Moderator]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

August 25, 2016
Contacts: WDFW licensing customer service, (360) 902-2464;
Bruce Botka, WDFW media relations, (360) 902-2262;
Andrew Garber, OCS, (360) 407-7995

WDFW offers free fishing while license sales are suspended
OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is offering "free fishing" days through Tuesday while the agency's license sales system is down.

Earlier this week, WDFW temporarily suspended the sale of fishing and hunting licenses. The agency is working with the state Office of Cyber Security (OCS) to investigate a vulnerability in an outside vendor's license sales system and is working to restore sales as soon as possible.

In the meantime, WDFW will not require anglers to have a fishing license to fish or gather shellfish in any waters open to fishing in Washington state, beginning today through Tuesday, Aug. 30, said Jim Unsworth, WDFW director. Likewise, the department will not require anglers to have a vehicle access pass to park at WDFW water access sites. Other rules, such as seasons, size limits, bag limits, and closures, will remain in effect.

Before heading out, anglers should also check the current fishing regulations at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/
Requirements for all anglers to have fishing licenses, catch record cards, and endorsements will be back in effect on Wednesday, Aug. 31. "We are as frustrated as our customers over the licensing system being shut down, but we want to make sure anglers can still hit the waters over the next several days," Unsworth said.

Hunters will have to wait to buy licenses until the sales system can be restored, Unsworth noted. The agency anticipates having a sales channel available before major hunting seasons – such as archery deer, elk and cougar – begin in September, he said.
"I appreciate our customers' patience while we work through this security vulnerability with our license sales vendor," Unsworth said. "The department is taking the steps necessary to ensure the sales site is secure and our customers' information is protected."

WDFW will provide updates about license sales on its webpage at http://wdfw.wa.gov/, and through its Facebook site at www.facebook.com/WashingtonFishWildlife
Department officials said a Columbia River Salmon and Steelhead Endorsement will not be needed to fish for salmon and steelhead in open areas of the Columbia River. Anglers will not need a two-pole endorsement to fish with two-poles in select waters where two pole fishing is permitted. Crabbers also will not need a Puget Sound crab endorsement through Aug. 30.

Anglers will not be required to complete a catch record card for any salmon, steelhead, sturgeon or crab they catch from Aug. 25 through Aug. 30. Through Aug. 30, anglers will not need a Discover Pass to park at any of the nearly 700 water-access sites maintained by WDFW. The Discover Pass will still be required to access lands managed by the Washington Department of Natural Resources and Washington State Parks. The parks department had previously announced that it is not requiring a Discover Pass on Aug. 25 to celebrate the National Park Service's 100th anniversary.
Discover Pass sales will continue at local dealerships and at state parks locations. More information on Discover Pass sales locations is available on WDFW's website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/discoverpass/

Edited by Rivrguy (08/25/16 02:18 PM)

#963419 - 08/25/16 08:32 PM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Jesus fuckin Christ.

A week go I would have bet there was no way I could be more disgusted with WDFW and their bullsh!t.

But I stand corrected.

WDFW should be dismantled, blown up, set on fire, defunded, banished to a desert island, and then nuked from space.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#963420 - 08/25/16 08:54 PM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Dan, might as well throw the WFC in while your at it..... Package deal smile

#963434 - 08/26/16 12:16 PM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

I thought that it was the Leg that set the licensing fees and requirements. WDFW simply implemented them. At least that was what I was told. So, how can WDFW simply say "You don't need a license" even if there is a reason like the whole damn system broke?

#963453 - 08/26/16 10:34 PM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: Carcassman]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
The legislature passes the statutes and license fees. The Commission and/or the Director can set the requirements for when a license is required. I think they're within their scope of authority to authorize "free" fishing days within the current issues with the license vendor.

RCWs > Title 77 > Chapter 77.12

Chapter 77.12 RCW
POWERS AND DUTIES
Chapter Listing | RCW Dispositions

Scope of commission's authority to adopt rules—Application to private tideland owners or lessees of the state.
(1) The commission may adopt, amend, or repeal rules as follows:
(a) Specifying the times when the taking of wildlife, fish, or shellfish is lawful or unlawful.
(b) Specifying the areas and waters in which the taking and possession of wildlife, fish, or shellfish is lawful or unlawful.
(c) Specifying and defining the gear, appliances, or other equipment and methods that may be used to take wildlife, fish, or shellfish, and specifying the times, places, and manner in which the equipment may be used or possessed.
(d) Regulating the importation, transportation, possession, disposal, landing, and sale of wildlife, fish, shellfish, or seaweed within the state, whether acquired within or without the state.
(e) Regulating the prevention and suppression of diseases and pests affecting wildlife, fish, or shellfish.
(f) Regulating the size, sex, species, and quantities of wildlife, fish, or shellfish that may be taken, possessed, sold, or disposed of.
(g) Specifying the statistical and biological reports required from fishers, dealers, boathouses, or processors of wildlife, fish, or shellfish.
(h) Classifying species of marine and freshwater life as food fish or shellfish.
(i) Classifying the species of wildlife, fish, and shellfish that may be used for purposes other than human consumption.
(j) Regulating the taking, sale, possession, and distribution of wildlife, fish, shellfish, or deleterious exotic wildlife.
(k) Establishing game reserves and closed areas where hunting for wild animals or wild birds may be prohibited.
(l) Regulating the harvesting of fish, shellfish, and wildlife in the federal exclusive economic zone by vessels or individuals registered or licensed under the laws of this state.
(m) Authorizing issuance of permits to release, plant, or place fish or shellfish in state waters.
(n) Governing the possession of fish, shellfish, or wildlife so that the size, species, or sex can be determined visually in the field or while being transported.
(o) Other rules necessary to carry out this title and the purposes and duties of the department.
(2) Subsections (1)(a), (b), (c), (d), and (f) of this section do not apply to private tideland owners and lessees and the immediate family members of the owners or lessees of state tidelands, when they take or possess oysters, clams, cockles, borers, or mussels, excluding razor clams, produced on their own private tidelands or their leased state tidelands for personal use.
"Immediate family member" for the purposes of this section means a spouse, brother, sister, grandparent, parent, child, or grandchild.
(3) Except for subsection (1)(g) of this section, this section does not apply to private sector cultured aquatic products as defined in RCW 15.85.020. Subsection (1)(g) of this section does apply to such products.

#963456 - 08/27/16 06:30 AM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

I can se where they can regulate tie, place, and manner (a,b,c). It would seem (o) might be construed that way but if the RCW elsewhere clearly states a license is required over a certain age I am not so sure.

Do you know if the Feel Free to Fish Day is called out in the RCW? How that has been handled would suggest precedent.

Edited by Carcassman (08/27/16 06:33 AM)

#963457 - 08/27/16 07:10 AM Re: Another reason to be glad you bought a fishing lic [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

Off hand I would say they violated the intent of the APA which is the second or third time in the past few months. They will get nailed in court sooner or later.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 310 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645367 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |