THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#963467 - 08/27/16 04:50 PM Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp.
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

I was out for a jog and a guy in a van pulls up near me at Box Car Park and asks if I want to buy some salmon. A little while later when I get to the Everett boat ramp, there he is again; this time parked in front of the out take lane 9 or so, hollering salmon for sale.

He was trying to sell Coho and Chinook at the Everett Boat ramp today out of his van. He said he caught it Friday at Tulalip and it looked like it-- a Chinook and about 6 silvers slightly shriveled and not on ice. He moved on after being yelled at by others that were upset, just before the police showed up.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#963469 - 08/27/16 06:35 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
bhudda Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: S River central
is that illegal?

#963470 - 08/27/16 06:38 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
bhudda Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: S River central
couple years ago in China town. .a guy pulls up to the corner of Jackson and 12th ave in Seattle. .full truck bed of chum.. $5each whole fish..was gone in 5 min!

#963476 - 08/27/16 07:50 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: bhudda]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: bhudda
is that illegal?

He was probably acting nervous according to this year’s LOAF agreement signed 5/26/2016 showing he probably jumped the gun on harvesting hatchery Coho and not releasing wild Coho in the Tulalip area.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/tribal/2016-17agreement.pdf

#963541 - 08/29/16 02:57 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

WARNING: DO NOT READ BELOW IF YOU ALREADY HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE

After seeing this tribal member selling Coho, I went home and read the Sport fishing regulations July 1, 2016 to June 30,2017 edition, to see if the Tulalip bubble was going to be open for sport angler Coho retention like tribal retention between 9/ 11 to 10/29. I also read the LOAF and saw a contradiction.

What I saw was Sept 10-Sept 25 Sat. and Sunday only for sport anglers which looked like one month less fishing time available compared to our counterpart the tribes being able to harvest hatchery Coho. But no, the LOAF takes precedence, according to WDFW staff today over the phone and he said that contradiction was caught and put on their website awhile back. Not only do we sport anglers get less than a month direct fishery for Coho like the tribal members, but sport anglers get no direct fishery for/or Coho retention fishery in the Tulalip Bubble. This being while the tribes have a direct hatchery Coho fishery that doesn’t specify that they can’t take wild Coho along with the hatchery Coho in that direct fishery.

Now isn't that special!

#963549 - 08/29/16 05:34 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
The Puyallup also has a coho fishery, the Green and Lake Washington have ceremonial fisheries along with monitoring to open up if the numbers allow.

#963550 - 08/29/16 05:51 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
In common with.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#963567 - 08/30/16 07:43 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Disappointing things from the phone call to staff.

1) He didn’t know about the tribal direct Coho fishery at the Tulalip Bubble until I pointed it out and if anybody should have known it should have been him. Unnamed for now.

2) There is no in season mechanism to open this area up to sport anglers if a larger than projected run show up this year. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS

3) The time between 9/11-10/29 the bubble is open to tribal members only to harvest Coho-- clipped and apparently unclipped. Apparently if a tribal member uses one type of gear and a set net that would mean they could fish up to 5 days a week that still leaves the bubble open to retain a hatchery Chinook for sport anglers on Sat and Sunday between 9/10-9/25. NO Coho—
ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

4) This year only clipped Chinook could be kept by sport anglers but clipped and non clip Chinook could be kept by tribal members--- The skeptical side of me says if this rule stands we will be seeing more accidently unclipped Chinook from their hatchery in the coming years.

#963571 - 08/30/16 08:23 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
The clipping is done in an automated trailer owned and operated by NWIFC and is operated by a non-tribal lead and crew. It is highly unlikely that clip rates will change. Also, the automated trailers are leaps and bounds more accurate in clipping than the hand-clip trailers.

I have seen first hand some of the clip percentages that are coming out of Wallace Hatchery and they are NOT pretty.
I want to be a fisherman.

#963572 - 08/30/16 08:50 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: GodLovesUgly]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

The entire situation is NOT pretty.
I'm afraid that this ridiculous situation has come to a point where only some kind of a very serious disruption will have any chance of leading positive, for the sportsman, change.

In common with.

#963573 - 08/30/16 10:23 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

This seems to boil down to are these conservation issues between the tribes and sport angler where the tribes are catching non clipped Chinook and are going to harvest Coho on a poor projection run year?

If these are conservation issues, it could expose the tribe’s rhetoric about being conservation minded. Apparently then the Tulalips are conservation conscientious only if conservation doesn’t get in the way of their fishing.

If this is not a conservation issue by the Tulalips harvesting wild Chinook and having a direct harvest fishery on Coho in the Tulalip Bubble, then obviously it should be open to sport anglers as well.

#963574 - 08/30/16 11:49 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
This is not a new revelation.....what is new is that the conservation crisis is making the hypocrisy very apparent. What is also disturbing is the lack of WDFW Staff awareness of what they have agreed to with the tribes to the detriment of the resource and their constituents. Do they really wonder why we are frustrated?

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#963582 - 08/30/16 12:27 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Larry B]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Frankly I would be surprised if WDFW is not aware of what their agreement with the Tribes means to the resource and to the sport fishermen, some of them are probably even troubled by the situation.
The fact is most institutions are going to take the path of least resistance, if we want policy and regulation change in our favor we will have to cause WDFW and their directors more pain than the other interests do when they don't get their way.

#963709 - 09/01/16 12:11 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

With the department agreeing that there was not a conservation concern to a direct hatchery Coho tribal net fishery in the Tulalip bubble, then where is the corresponding sport angler Coho fishery that could be selective in the bubble—especially with all the closures providing much less pressure on these fish in the state this year compared to previous years.

#963726 - 09/01/16 06:51 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
steeleywhopper Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: snohomish county
I about cried two weeks ago when I had to release a solid 10lb hatchery coho that smashed a green glow coyote spoon right before dark. This was in the Bubble and it hurt..

#963737 - 09/02/16 01:31 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Pretty senseless!

#963767 - 09/03/16 08:07 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

It is beyond amazing and poor judgment of the Tulalip tribe to require a direct hatchery Coho net fishery when protection measures totally surround that fishery that is snuggled in between the Stilly River on one side, the Snohomish River on the other and all of area 8-2 in front of Tulalip. All these surrounding areas of the Tulalip bubble are closed to fishing to protect Coho on a very low projection year.

Conservation is for everybody but the Tulalip tribes in this part of the sound.

#963780 - 09/04/16 08:47 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

How are other tribes fairing for Coho, does anyone know? I know Tulalip had its best Chinook catches in 10 years this season, and so far the coho are coming in more abundant and much larger than they have seen in several years.

I think it is high time for some investigation and an in season update by the state. We could at least salvage some river seasons.....

#963783 - 09/04/16 10:23 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines NOT Seattle
Just heard that the Muckleshoots have filed intention to fish the Green and Duwamish.

If true, I am not surprised and called it months ago. If this is true I believe the state should open up all the Sound and rivers immediately to hatchery Coho and Chinook.

Co-management....LMAO

#963784 - 09/04/16 10:38 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

i emailed WDFW about them opening up the Puyallup/Carbon after Voights makes escapement, you know, the places UP RIVER of where they net... they said no, there will be no Coho fishery this year, they need every fish back to the hatchery that they can get, and every other fish spawning on the gravel...

few questions...

if you only need 2400 for the egg take, why do you need 6, 7, 8 9k fish back?

whos going to pay to raise those fish?

why are nets in rivers if you are trying to protect something?

#963786 - 09/04/16 02:06 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: ]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
Originally Posted By: GodLovesUgly
How are other tribes fairing for Coho, does anyone know? I know Tulalip had its best Chinook catches in 10 years this season, and so far the coho are coming in more abundant and much larger than they have seen in several years.

I think it is high time for some investigation and an in season update by the state. We could at least salvage some river seasons.....

The state can only make predictions, usually a sad set of boom and doom numbers. Try and get them to give actuals as, or after the returns have happened ! They will not, or cannot. Over 2k of wild steelhead in the Nisqually in the the last few seasons says it all.......

To me this just shows how screwed up the WDFW is. In season management is a must and should be used instead of the stupid [Bleeeeep!] out dated policies they have in place now.

On a side note, just went down to the Duwamish....Loaded with Coho, fish are jumping every where...Soon you'll see Wild caught Silver Salmon ferrrr sale at a store nearest you. Thanks to the Co-Management efforts.

#963799 - 09/04/16 09:22 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

If anyone wonders if we are being screwed, just look at the notes for the Skagit where is says there will be no opening for treaty fisheries for abundance without both sides talking, then look where the tribes reserved the right to fish the Green if an abundance exists, without the agreement of the state or the right to open for both sides. It is apparent to me that the Puyallup and Green fisheries were worded to allow only one side the right to fish upon higher returns. The state obviously knows how to insist on other terms, but chose to allow the tribes to get away with this.

#963803 - 09/05/16 08:38 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Krijack]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Yes, apparently the Puget Sound tribes ten year average of harvesting 70% of PS Coho has not been enough for some tribes, after reading through this year’s List of Agreed Fisheries (LOAF) which derives from negotiations between WDFW and the tribes .

#963804 - 09/05/16 09:14 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
It is interesting how many salmon management experts are on this site and taking part in this thread.

I wonder how you folks would have fared say last year if you were in charge of the management of our salmon. As many of you no doubt recall the coho fishing this time of year last year was off the charts. The various beach fisheries were about as good as it gets and the creel checks also indicated exceptional fishing. Presumably if we are going to make early in-season adjustments in fish runs the sport catches are were we would likely look; with high catch rates (especially if there is substantial effort) would equate a large run (more fish??).

As you may recall the Snohomish forecast for wild coho (driven by record estimates of wild smolt abundances) was approximately 50,000 fish. By all counts the coho fishing last August and most of September was exceptional and the creel checks at Everett confirm that excellent fishing. Huge number of boats being checked with high catch rates. In fact in the last 30 years those kinds of numbers have been seen only twice. In both of those years the wild coho escapement on the Snohomish were in excess of 1/4 million spawners. Also keep in mind that the wild smolt numbers were 3 million and the parent escapement (the spawners that produced the 2015 adults was 130,000). Would you internet biologist updated the 2015 run size to something larger than 50,000???

Most of you seem more than willing to adjust this year's run size on much more shaky information - incidental angler reports and number of jumping fish. The harsh reality is that the only potential in-season coho model run size adjustments (especially for wild fish) require terminal net catches (tribal) in late September and early October to make any realistic update. Does anyone think with little harvest in front of the terminal areas that early returns might be skewed from past years?

The other issue is that folks seem to have problems with the 2016 forecasts. Again looking at the Snohomish wild coho where the 2015 escapement was 13,000 with a potential total runszie of between 18,000 and 26,000. Given that the ocean conditions in the spring of 2015 (the year that this years adults went to sea as smolts) was much the same as 2014 and the total number of wild smolts were less than 60% of the 2014 numbers (1.6 million verus 3 million) what would you have forecasted.

Anyone willing to offer up their 2015 updates or 2016 forecasts which surely would be substantially better than those produced be the co-managers?

Curt

#963808 - 09/05/16 10:32 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie
It is beyond amazing and poor judgment of the Tulalip tribe to require a direct hatchery Coho net fishery when protection measures totally surround that fishery that is snuggled in between the Stilly River on one side, the Snohomish River on the other and all of area 8-2 in front of Tulalip. All these surrounding areas of the Tulalip bubble are closed to fishing to protect Coho on a very low projection year.

Conservation is for everybody but the Tulalip tribes in this part of the sound.

The Tulalips must think that conservation has no business getting in their way by meddling with their quest to harvest Coho.

#963812 - 09/05/16 05:25 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Smalma,
The issue for me is that the tribes are being to independently assess the run and then open a fishery, while it appears the state has no say in the decision, and no way to adjust for an in-season rec. opening if needed.. They had no problem insisting on it for the Skagit system, but apparently waffled when it came to the Lake Washington and the Green and Puyallup systems. I have no idea where the numbers will come in at. I do, however, know that allowing the tribes to go alone on both the decision and the harvest is not in the rec's best interest. My guess is that given the lack of fisheries else where, the numbers will look fairly as compared to previous years.

#963861 - 09/06/16 11:13 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

The shaky information is probably a lot more reliable than [Bleeeeep!] numbers the state has used for years and can't seem to get correct. Year after year after year......IT'S FRICKEN BROKE.

Year after year I see shaky info come to light and be reality..Last year was one of those. The signs were there mid way thru the season that the fish were small, weak and lacking in numbers just like the Pinks.

Everyone talks about conservation and saving the last salmon until it comes down to the tribes walking the walk. They should not be netting those fish. Yet, it's going to happen and the state can't do chit about it. What's good for the goose should be good for the rest. No reason the rivers should be closed where there is good numbers of hatchery Summer Steel or hatchery Chinook. There are several rivers right now that have both and nobody but the tribes can fish.....[Bleeeeep!]!!!!!!!!!

GREAT MANAGEMENT

#963987 - 09/07/16 03:10 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: GodLovesUgly
The clipping is done in an automated trailer owned and operated by NWIFC and is operated by a non-tribal lead and crew. It is highly unlikely that clip rates will change. Also, the automated trailers are leaps and bounds more accurate in clipping than the hand-clip trailers.

Yes, the current agreement is to clip 100% instead of 70% like it once was.

So that must mean then that the non-clipped Coho being caught at Tulalip by the Indian , then being sold at the Everett boat ramp, were wild Coho that was passing by or stacking at the Tulalip area and more than likely were from the Stilly River and/or the Snohomish River system.

So now it appears that not only will the Tulalips have a direct Coho fishery in the Tulalip bubble catching tribal hatchery Coho, not open to sport anglers, but also catching in the Tulalip bubble, non-tribal hatchery Coho and wild Coho from other river system(s), that are closed to sport anglers for conservation purposes.

What a screwed up mess!

#963996 - 09/07/16 08:35 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Correct. Any of the non-clipped encounters are likely non-tulalip fish, or are double index fish.

I know that one fisherman alone had over 140 fish to the dock last week.

#964074 - 09/08/16 10:00 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

The sport angler is not only foregoing harvesting Coho by being excluded from the Tulalip bubble of Coho coming back from eggs supplied to the Tulalips by the state run Wallace hatchery, but sport anglers this year are foregoing harvest again, so Coho can get back to Wallace hatchery for their needs and to supply this year’s eggs to the Tulalip hatchery.

If there is enough Coho to harvest by the Tulalips in the bubble this year, then the Tulalips should supply their own eggs before harvesting just like their state co manager counterpart do with the state’s hatcheries.

The Tulalip bubble should be opened in this area for sport anglers to complement the tribal harvest, since the state has signed off on this fishery not being a conservation issue.

Edited by Lucky Louie (09/09/16 08:15 AM)

#964371 - 09/14/16 05:55 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov

September 14, 2016

Hatchery coho can be retained in Tulalip Bubble fishery

Action: Hatchery coho can be kept as part of the daily limit in the Tulalip Bubble fishery.

Effective Date: Saturday and Sundays only, effective Sept. 17 through Sept. 25, 2016.

Species affected: Salmon.

Location: Waters west of Tulalip Bay and within 2,000 feet of shore from the pilings at Old Bower's Resort, to a fishing boundary marker approximately 1.4 miles northwest of Hermosa Point.

Reason for action: The Tulalip Bubble is currently open to salmon fishing on Saturdays and Sundays. There are sufficient hatchery coho returning to Tulalip Bay to allow the retention of hatchery coho while not increasing impacts on wild chinook and wild coho.

Other information: The daily limit is 2 salmon, release wild chinook and wild coho. Anglers may fish with two poles if they have a Two-Pole Endorsement.

Anglers can fish for coho and chinook in Marine Area 12 (Hood Canal) and Sinclair Inlet. Anglers can fish for chinook in Marine Area 7 (San Juan Islands). Marine Area 8-2 is scheduled to reopen in November for chinook.

For specific regulations, anglers should consult the 2016-17 Washington Sports Fishing Rules pamphlet available online at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/.

Information contact: Ryan Lothrop (360) 902-2808; Jenni Whitney (425) 775-1311

#964375 - 09/14/16 08:05 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
chrome/22 Online   content
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
Net's in on the Duwamish

#964442 - 09/16/16 08:25 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: chrome/22]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: chrome/22
Net's in on the Duwamish

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE

September 15, 2016

Fishing for coho, game fish to open Sept. 16 on a section of Green River

Action: Opens the portion of the Green (Duwamish) River from 1st Ave. South Bridge upstream to I-405 to fishing for salmon, trout, and other game fish.

Effective dates: Sept. 16 through Oct. 31, 2016.

Species affected: Salmon, trout, and other game fish.

Locations and dates:

Green (Duwamish) River (King County, from 1st Ave. South Bridge upstream to I-405) will be open from Sept. 16 through Oct. 31, 2016, to fishing for:

Salmon: Minimum size 12 inches. Daily limit 2 salmon. Release chinook.
Trout: Minimum size 14 inches. Daily limit 2.
Other game fish: Statewide minimum size/daily limit.
Other Information: All species: night closure and anti-snagging rule are in effect.

Reasons for action: This area had been closed under a state and tribal co-manager agreement to protect coho salmon. Early season test fisheries have indicated that the coho return is strong enough to support limited sport and tribal fisheries in the lower Green River.

WDFW will continue to monitor the coho run and may keep the river open for coho retention after Oct. 31. Any announcements about additional recreational fishing openings on other sections of the Green River will be posted on WDFW's fishing rule change website at https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/

Information Contact: Mill Creek Regional Office, (425) 775-1311

#964443 - 09/16/16 08:30 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Now it will be interesting to see what the co managers do with the Snohomish R system that usually has the highest Coho returns in Puget Sound with its mouth about 10 miles down the road from the Tulalip bubble were the Tulalips have stated that their returns have been more than expected to date.

Edited by Lucky Louie (09/16/16 08:46 AM)

#964446 - 09/16/16 10:20 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm *really* hoping (a) the coho return to the Snoho system is as good as the most recent openings seem to suggest, and (b) they open it up to sporties. The Duwamish is technically closer to me, but I always fish the Snoho/Sky.

Are there any tribal test fisheries planned for the Snoho?

#964457 - 09/16/16 12:30 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: MPM]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: MPM
I'm *really* hoping (a) the coho return to the Snoho system is as good as the most recent openings seem to suggest, and (b) they open it up to sporties. The Duwamish is technically closer to me, but I always fish the Snoho/Sky.

Are there any tribal test fisheries planned for the Snoho?

According to the Tulalips, they are working with the state co-managers to continue to evaluate both Tulalip hatchery and the other Coho run sizes for the Snohomish and the Stillaguamish to see if there is any reduction or opportunity to expand both state and tribal fishing opportunities.

#964546 - 09/19/16 07:01 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

If I counted right the opening of the Tulalip bubble for sport caught Coho is 4 days for sport and 35 days for tribes.
It appears that the state should have the upper hand in a negotiation with the tribes on opening the Snohomish R system and the negotiation should include opening the bubble on weekends through October for this year to compliment the tribal season since no other salt water Coho fishing is available in this area.

--OR—

If the Tulalips are still possessive of the Coho they produce out of their Gobin hatchery with shared eggs from the state Wallace hatchery then that should reflect in the state being possessive of the Coho coming back to the Snohomish system to their Wallace Hatchery.

Any appearance of inequity this time around is all on WDFW.

Edited by Lucky Louie (09/19/16 07:03 AM)

#964642 - 09/20/16 08:00 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
tydy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Snohomish.,Wa.
absolutely. As a "Native of Washington State" for 58 years , born and raised, of French Canadian,Swedish and Blackfoot descent , my families traditions of fishing for Coho Salmon in our usual and accustomed places, has been trampled on and eliminated by bad science. unfortunately , the citizens of this state are not deemed to be equal under the laws we have created and now have to live by. The Tribes can GFTHEMSELVES. I will not support them in any way in the future.

#964647 - 09/20/16 08:38 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
According to the Tulalips, they are working with the state co-managers to continue to evaluate both Tulalip hatchery and the other Coho run sizes for the Snohomish and the Stillaguamish to see if there is any reduction or opportunity to expand both state and tribal fishing opportunities. [/quote]

Sure would like to see a Stilly fishery this year if numbers support it! By the time both parties/co-managers get this "situation" figured out it will be all over for the year> Figures... confused

Old saying FUBAR applies here unfortunately mad

#965111 - 09/28/16 06:23 PM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE

September 28, 2016

Snohomish River opens for coho salmon fishing

Action: Opens the Snohomish River to fishing for coho salmon Sept. 29 through Oct. 2, and Oct. 6 through Oct. 9.

Effective dates and times: Night closure in effect (fishing is open one hour before sunrise to one hour before sunset). Open to coho fishing Thursday through Sunday, Sept. 29 through Oct. 2, and Thursday through Sunday, Oct. 6 through Oct. 9.

Species affected: Coho salmon.

Locations and rules:

Snohomish River (Snohomish County) from the mouth (Burlington-Northern Railroad bridges) (including all channels, sloughs, and interconnected waterways, but excluding all tributaries) upstream to confluence of the Skykomish and Snoqualmie rivers.

Night closure.
Anti-snagging rules apply.
Salmon, minimum size 12", daily limit 2 coho only.
All species other than coho must be released.
Reason for action: The Snohomish River was originally closed to all fishing under a state and tribal co-manager agreement to protect coho salmon. The co-managers agree that the coho return is strong enough to support limited sport and tribal fisheries. The co-managers will continue to monitor this fishery and may make adjustments in the coming weeks.

Information contact: Jennifer Whitney, district biologist, (425) 775-1311, ext. 107.

Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license, appropriate to the fishery. Check the WDFW "Fishing in Washington" rules pamphlet for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing rules are subject to change. Check the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500, press 2 for recreational rules. For the Shellfish Rule Change hotline call (360)796-3215 or toll free 1-866-880-5431.
Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email (dolores.noyes@dfw.wa.gov). For more information, see http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/reasonable_request.html.

#965280 - 10/02/16 09:03 AM Re: Coho are in--4 sale at Everett Boat ramp. [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Recap of this thread:

The Tulalip tribe came out of the North of Falcon negotiations with a direct Coho fishery that included 100% allocation of the Coho going to the tribes on what was supposedly a closure of Puget Sound for conservation purposes with a wait and see approach by some negotiated ISU’s in various areas that was agreed upon in the LOAF.

There was an in season adjustment of 4 days opened to the sport angler that usually was open 8 days in September in prior years. So that means on the non equitable scale was advantage tribes 35 days to 4 days sport angler with the tribe still harvesting close to 100% allocation.

The last time I checked the Tulalips harvest showed a 90% clip rate, which means at least 10% wild plus some hatchery Coho are from other systems that were closed for conservation purposes.

I’m not here to promote the bubble since there are other places I would prefer to fish and see open in Puget Sound, but just showing the mentality and selfishness of the Tulalips in this area that have a MOU agreement with the state to share eggs between both their respective hatcheries—but the Tulalips are not sharing the returning Coho.

Next NOF, there needs to be some serious talks about equitable allocations and putting ISU’s in place for those areas of Puget Sound that need them like Port Gardner just to name one area.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |