Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#963811 - 09/05/16 03:48 PM Poachin'
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Just left Bob Heirman park on the Snohomish. Unless I'm reading the regs wrong, its closed to all fishing until Nov 1. Saw one guy leaving the river and a couple others looking for a spot to fish it. I told one guy it was closed until Nov 1 but he insisted it was open. Said he just talked to a guy who just talked to the warden, who said it was open. Also said he got a couple coho the other day. I didn't argue with him, but I did call the WDFW hotine. Unfortunately it appears you can't report poaching on a holiday unless you call 911.

#963813 - 09/05/16 05:28 PM Re: Poachin' [Re: MPM]
the_chemist Offline
Parr

So call 911? Judging from my past experiences with the Snohomish county police they wouldn't show up.

#963816 - 09/05/16 05:56 PM Re: Poachin' [Re: MPM]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Didn't seem like a 911-worthy situation to me, especially since the guy I talked to was leaving. I do think it would be worthwhile for WDFW to post some notices at the really popular fishing spots.

#963819 - 09/05/16 06:34 PM Re: Poachin' [Re: MPM]
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
Agree they should put up notices.

#963821 - 09/05/16 07:05 PM Re: Poachin' [Re: MPM]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
It would be best to check with WDFW, but it is my understanding that the Sky is open for Cutthroat and Dolly Varden and possibly resident rainbows, but not Salmon. I doubt we will have a Silver fishery this Fall based on current predictions. We could possibly have a complete shutdown, but will have to wait and see.

I will check with Mill Creek on Tuesday on the current regs.

#963824 - 09/05/16 07:22 PM Re: Poachin' [Re: MPM]
the_chemist Offline
Parr

Sorry Sebastes that is incorrect. Anywhere there could be salmon it is closed to all fishing. Last season the sky was closed to salmon and open to game fish. This year the WDFW caved even further and closed it to all fishing.

#963825 - 09/05/16 07:39 PM Re: Poachin' [Re: MPM]
supcoop Offline
Lady Killer Deluxe

Loc: Kirkland
Rumor has it there has been lots of people up at Reiter enjoying closed waters as well.

#963828 - 09/05/16 08:42 PM Re: Poachin' [Re: MPM]
jgreen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Elma, WA
Im not advocating poaching, but at this point you have to understand peoples "I don't give a sh!t attitude".

Its hard for me drive down to Aberdeen and see the nets in killing adult fish, when all we get is jacks. I wonder how well those hatchery chinooks did that took my hooks down their throats because I was fishing for jacks.

It must be harder for you pugetropolis guys, with no fishing period. Again, poaching isn't ok, but I feel for everyone who is getting shafted. 50/50 my a$$. Close it all down or open for all.

I talked to a guy who took a fish a hatchery chinook on the Chehalis the yesterday. Told him it was closed to adults, his answer was "nets are in, I'm keeping fish". He asked if I was going to call WDFW. I said, "no I won't keep em until its legal, but share your sentiment."

#963837 - 09/06/16 06:52 AM Re: Poachin' [Re: jgreen]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
JG your post is 1000% USDA BS. First the QIN ( or Chehalis tribe ) had zero and I mean zero to do with the Chinook season for non treaty it was rules on the state side with a glitch in the GHMP the agency and Commission have refused to address. ( it is called 3/5 ) As for releasing we have jack fishing early on with release adult to protect the straggler Springers and most with half a brain just reach down and cut the leader and unless you get the gills good to go. Regardless our 5% impacts of the wild run size will be in release numbers as other than a few hatchery fish with Coho and Chinook it is a full C&R fishery pretty much similar to Steelhead. After September 16 you can keep clipped adults.

As for the fool you talked to ................... laws prevent the thinning of the gene pool on the human side of the species thing.

Edited by Rivrguy (09/06/16 06:53 AM)

#963841 - 09/06/16 07:55 AM Re: Poachin' [Re: MPM]
jgreen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Elma, WA
1. I understand it was the state who made the no adult rule until the 16th.
2. Do you really think our "Co-managers" didn't have anything to do with that decision.
3. I do cut the hook when deep hooked, I'm not an idiot. Im not going to use a 3/0 or bigger hook for jacks, so occasionally the 1/0 goes a little deeper.
4. I feel for the guy who kept that fish, the fish he should have the right to keep. It was a clipped chinook. Explain, right or not, why its fair for the nets to gobble up adult fish, while we are left clambering for the scraps that are jacks. Doesn't make much sense to me. The guys who were poaching on the Snohomish are probably pissed about the rec closures the same way this guy was. I won't risk the ticket. At least not at this point.

At some point its going to have to take more than meetings and rallies to change how we set seasons and regain our rights as sports fisherman.
The CO-Manager thing does not work. The Qin, the tulips, the Pukes and the state all have their heads so far up each others butt they are cleaning each others teeth.

It has to end sometime. At this point, it might take something less civil to get it done. Ive been saying for a few years now, lets hold a "fish in". No permits, on a "Closed" river. All fishing, regardless of technique, to show our fortitude and what we are willing to do. If 1000 fisherman would have showed up and fished on the Skokomish after that closure, things would have changed.

#963846 - 09/06/16 08:41 AM Re: Poachin' [Re: MPM]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
jgreen:

Must be young???? The battles have all been fought since the Bolt Decision. I went to all the meeting, did the hay and blackberries above the nets.....did no good.

I enjoy jack fishing, hate the idea of having to waste a punch on a fish that will be of limited use at any hatcheries. Was great a few years back when you got a extra punch card free.

I'm the person that asked if the Chehalis could be opened 8/1 - 9/15 for jacks......option was NO FISHING UNTIL 9/16. I'll take a open river any time over closed river......I'm still pissed about WDFW closing of local rivers, 10/15, and then the openings in the upper reaches where the fish should have been "more protected"...

Gear down, light line, small bait of eggs......silver jacks can be fun and for those that hook a Chinook jack in fast water, on light gear, can be a challenge.

What I don't agree on, 3 groups allowed to gillnet 1 river, that is decline of native fish.....time to eliminate 1 of these groups!!!!!!

Better fish while you can.....don't think it looks very good from what I see, grrrrrrrrrr

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#963847 - 09/06/16 08:46 AM Re: Poachin' [Re: MPM]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

I don't blame people for being pissed either.

The WDFW sells lip service.

#963848 - 09/06/16 08:46 AM Re: Poachin' [Re: MPM]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Looks to me like the Sky is in the same boat as the Snohomish (other than the upper North Fork): no fishing between Aug 31 and Nov 1.

As far as sympathy goes, I'm more sympathetic to those who don't know or understand that it's closed than those who simply disagree with the regs or think that others' (e.g., tribal) misdeeds somehow justify their own poaching.

#963849 - 09/06/16 08:48 AM Re: Poachin' [Re: jgreen]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
jgreen,

I agree that "At some point its going to have to take more than meetings and rallies to change how we set seasons." and I believe that it will take some kind of a "crisis" to result in any positive change for the sportsman.
Some kind of a large scale fish in could be part of the strategy, but one and done wouldn't do it. The Tribes engaged in civil disobediance for years before their strategy produced positive results.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#963851 - 09/06/16 09:20 AM Re: Poachin' [Re: blackmouth]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

I assume we can all read so from the GHMP:

1) Annual Fishery Management Review. The Department shall annually evaluate fishery management tools and parameters and identify improvements as necessary to accurately predict fishery performance and escapement.

As a component of the annual fishery management review, the Department shall assess if spawner goals were achieved for Chehalis spring Chinook, Chehalis fall Chinook, Humptulips fall Chinook, Chehalis coho, Humptulips coho, and Grays Harbor chum salmon. If the number of natural-origin spawners was less than the goal in 3 out of the last 5 years (beginning in 2009), the Department shall implement the following measures:
a) The predicted fishery impact for that stock in WDFW-managed fisheries in the Grays Harbor Basin will not exceed 5% of the adult return to Grays Harbor; and
b) If a spawner goal for fall Chinook salmon is not achieved, the Grays Harbor control zone2 off of the mouth of Grays Harbor will be implemented no later than the second Monday in August and continue until the end of September.1) Annual Fishery Management Review. The Department shall annually evaluate fishery management tools and parameters and identify improvements as necessary to accurately predict fishery performance and escapement.

As a component of the annual fishery management review, the Department shall assess if spawner goals were achieved for Chehalis spring Chinook, Chehalis fall Chinook, Humptulips fall Chinook, Chehalis coho, Humptulips coho, and Grays Harbor chum salmon. If the number of natural-origin spawners was less than the goal in 3 out of the last 5 years (beginning in 2009), the Department shall implement the following measures:
a) The predicted fishery impact for that stock in WDFW-managed fisheries in the Grays Harbor Basin will not exceed 5% of the adult return to Grays Harbor; and
b) If a spawner goal for fall Chinook salmon is not achieved, the Grays Harbor control zone2 off of the mouth of Grays Harbor will be implemented no later than the second Monday in August and continue until the end of September.

The QIN had zip to do with the state no retention of Chinook period. We had 13,579 paper Chinook for harvest but the clause above directed a state 5% impact. Coho were in short supply so if one went straight catch and kill the season was almost DOR so C&R. In fact the bay fishery in the South channel is primarily a C&R Chinook fishery as Coho mostly travel North side. C&R is what the state uses to expand or maintain opportunity.

The QIN in recent years have been aggressive about Chinook ( we had substantial returns ) but backed off maxing Coho. Besides guys if you look at Willapa it was managed just the same as GH as to harvest with % to commercial ( QIN is commercial ) vs Rec. Bottom line is the co managers go to MSY but it has only been due to the GHMP & Willapa policies that any restraint was imposed.

Edited by Rivrguy (09/06/16 09:32 AM)

#963853 - 09/06/16 09:49 AM Re: Poachin' [Re: MPM]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

That's great and I appreciate your efforts in this fight.

Now if we could only catch words.............We would have plenty to fish for.

#963854 - 09/06/16 09:56 AM Re: Poachin' [Re: Rivrguy]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Rivrguy

The QIN in recent years have been aggressive about Chinook ( we had substantial returns ) but backed off maxing Coho. Besides guys if you look at Willapa it was managed just the same as GH as to harvest with % to commercial ( QIN is commercial ) vs Rec. Bottom line is the co managers go to MSY but it has only been due to the GHMP & Willapa policies that any restraint was imposed.

That's the hell of it. The only people who suffer when a sacrifice needs to be made are the citizens who pay the lion's share of the costs to produce fish they can't retain. I think it's pretty damned admirable for us sport anglers to be so generous as to pay to produce fish for other people to catch for a profit.

I'm glad the fish have the GHMP and WBMP to protect them; they most assuredly need them. I just wish the sacrifices were shared a little farther up the fisheries totem pole. THAT would result in better fishing in every river where salmon swim, and it would guarantee higher escapements, since we all know anglers can't catch them all, no matter how many are there. As long as we have hatchery fish that MUST be caught, wild runs will continue their downward slide. We need to realize that a spawned-out carcass in a river has infinitely more value to the future of fisheries (and the families that depend on them) than a pair of fillets at the market. That's the restraint that is sorely needed.

#963855 - 09/06/16 10:17 AM Re: Poachin' [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
As long as we have hatchery fish that MUST be caught, wild runs will continue their downward slide.

Good one FF2 but one thing was a little off. Not correcting here but sorta sorting local fact vs state wide. We do NOT have to remove the hatchery fish in the Chehalis basin prior to returning to the facility. Unlike many places here we have weirs that stop the run and allow for the removal of the clipped fish & unclipped CWT HOR adults. ( they CWT but do not clip to do blind test to the harvest model assumptions ) The loss if one did not fish at all is simply the investment in producing them for catch nothing genetic. The HOR recruits will be removed be it by catch or at the hatchery.

Now the Hump is another matter and that one can and likely could drive one to take up drinking. Different river different circumstances.

Edited by Rivrguy (09/06/16 10:19 AM)

#963857 - 09/06/16 10:48 AM Re: Poachin' [Re: ]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
I wonder what Marlin Brando would have thought about this development. I suppose we could just ask Sean Penn. rofl

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#963858 - 09/06/16 10:53 AM Re: Poachin' [Re: MPM]
Mystical Legends Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines NOT Seattle
People are fed up with the [Bleeeeep!] that's happening with the tribes and the WDFW poor management practices. I'd expect to see more of it as time goes on. Right or wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 192 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |