THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#964820 - 09/24/16 09:37 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: BossMan]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Originally Posted By: BossMan
When is he going to declare a sports fishing failure?

That there might be the $64,000 question> NEXT crazy

#964821 - 09/24/16 09:45 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: FleaFlickr02]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
"What does "commercial fishing failure" mean?"

I'm pretty sure that it means. "Hey Mr. Presindent I've been doing everything that I can to keep the pawns in line and to support your administration, and not without spending some of my own political capital. So you see now that I have an election coming up I could use a little help, maybe you can send us back some of those dollars that my States taxpayers have been sending your way, then hopefully my stupid voters will be deceived into thinking that I got some free federal dollars, and if enough of them think that and reward me with their votes we can keep this scam going. Jay Inslee"

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#964826 - 09/24/16 10:49 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: blackmouth]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: blackmouth
"What does "commercial fishing failure" mean?"

I'm pretty sure that it means. "Hey Mr. Presindent I've been doing everything that I can to keep the pawns in line and to support your administration, and not without spending some of my own political capital. Well you see now that I have an election coming up I could use a little help, so how about you send us back some of those dollars that my States taxpayers have been sending your way. Then hopefully the stupid voters in our state will be deceived into thinking that I got some free federal dollars and if enough of them reward me with their votes we can keep this scam going. Your servant Jay Inslee"

Yep

#964844 - 09/25/16 08:49 AM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
I just want to touch on the NOF participation issue for a moment:

I too have spent a lot of time attending fisheries meetings, both as a boat fisher and as a bankie. I find it no coincidence that a very large portion of the sport fishers in attendance are boaters. Here's my thoughts.

The meetings are held during the week and at times that most younger guys and gals are having to work. They are also held for time periods the take up the whole day.

Older guys (retirees like myself) and others have less pressure and financially are in better positions in life to both, own a boat and have time to participate. Of course, there are always exceptions.

Is this by design? Perhaps. But I can say, I really think this may explain why the majority of participants are boat owners.

The bigger concern is WHY are the negotiations that are done with the tribes closed to the public? I'm sure we would all take off from work to sit in on those!!

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#964876 - 09/26/16 08:11 AM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I would go to the Mill Creek NOF meeting and it was held in the evening-- the commercials would meet earlier that day.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#964924 - 09/26/16 05:52 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Piper
Unregistered

I'm curious to know what affect if any, the lack of fishing in puget sound had on the local economy, specifically revenues generated in Puget sound area tackle stores, marinas and boat launches...

I'm also curious if the lack of opportunity actually generated more spending in terms of longer trips to areas open to salmon and other types of fish.

For me personally, I spent $400 on a new tuna rod, reel and bait on an out of town trip that I would have spent locally on salmon gear and supplies (bait gas, hooks, line) had it been open.

#964928 - 09/26/16 06:27 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Blu13 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Regional NOF meetings seem to be weekday evening. Mill Creek, the last few years has been held on a Saturday.

#964955 - 09/26/16 09:25 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Originally Posted By: Piper
I'm curious to know what affect if any, the lack of fishing in puget sound had on the local economy, specifically revenues generated in Puget sound area tackle stores, marinas and boat launches...

I'm also curious if the lack of opportunity actually generated more spending in terms of longer trips to areas open to salmon and other types of fish.

For me personally, I spent $400 on a new tuna rod, reel and bait on an out of town trip that I would have spent locally on salmon gear and supplies (bait gas, hooks, line) had it been open.

Good question Piper. On thing for sure, Jay Inslee doesn't' know or give two shits about sport anglers.

It was very odd out searun cutthroat fishing this past weekend and seeing hardly any boats out on a beautiful fall weekend. Had things not be closed, lots of folks would have been out and about participating in the Everett Derby.

I really feel sorry for the tackle retailers, especially smaller shops like John's and Ted's. They should be able to apply for aid if the commercials can.

I know I've spent a heck of a lot less money this summer. I usually feel like I'm funding the state's ferry fleet. I cancel my vacation this year which is usually my nine day September coho bender.
SF

Edited by stonefish (09/26/16 09:25 PM)

#964964 - 09/27/16 07:55 AM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Jerry Garcia Offline

I planned my retirement so I could beach fish coho in August and Sept. Instead I spent that money at Lowes.

Lonnie Gane

#965023 - 09/27/16 04:23 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Yeah that ^^^ My yard looks great and the freezer is empty. Driving me nuts to drive across the Snohomish and see all those nice fat silvers plugged in there with no opportunity to go get them. Nov 1 will be awesome but I'm sure gonna miss my October silver fishing not to mention September in the sound. Oh well - closed a few more deals at work so I guess that and the lawn are the silver lining.

#965025 - 09/27/16 04:42 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
My new goal is to catch and release some beach coho come Nov 1st when things open back up.
It won't be easy that late in the season, but based on the size of some of the coho I've seen jumping this year the effort will be worth it.
SF

#965031 - 09/27/16 06:27 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Sounds good Brian.

Lonnie Gane

#965055 - 09/28/16 06:53 AM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Waterboy Offline
Returning Adult

The Skagit is open for coho!!!!

Skagit and Cascade rivers open to coho and gamefish; Sauk River opens for gamefish

Action: Open the Skagit and Cascade rivers to fishing for coho salmon and gamefish. Open the Sauk River to fishing for gamefish.

Species affected: Coho salmon and gamefish.

Effective dates: Sept. 28 through Nov. 30, 2016.

Locations for salmon:

SKAGIT RIVER: From the mouth to the Cascade River Road (Marblemount) Bridge. Coho daily limit 4, of which no more than 2 may be wild. Bait prohibited. Anti-snagging rule, and night closure in effect.
CASCADE RIVER: From the mouth to Rockport Cascade Road Bridge. Coho daily limit 4. Anti-snagging rule, and night closure in effect.

#965058 - 09/28/16 07:42 AM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Jerry Garcia Offline

4 coho daily limit? What might the limit have been if this had been a strong return?

Lonnie Gane

#965062 - 09/28/16 09:35 AM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Nice to see the Skagit finally open! Never really wanted to fish Puget Sound salt and I love that upper Skagit river as it truly is a magical place. Some years up there it was a two fish limit and when run assessment was done it bumped up to 3 a few years back and in good years past it has been 2 hatchery and 2 wild! Epic days up there :-)

#965090 - 09/28/16 12:51 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
4 coho daily limit? What might the limit have been if this had been a strong return?

After salt water harvests?????

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#965094 - 09/28/16 01:48 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Ofishal Bizness Offline
Smolt

Loc: Poulsbo, WA
While the issue is complicated the answer is really easy and has been done before in other fisheries.

Striped bass on the Atlantic Coast and Chesapeake Bay
Redfish in the Gulf of Mexico

Make salmon a game fish and stop all commercial harvesting.

"If you want to eat wild seafood you should have to catch it and kill it" Yourself, personally.

We no longer have market hunting for wild game, even the tribes can't do it.

The treaty tribes can still have their 50% of the harvestable fish, they just can't sell them on the open market. They can sell/trade them amongest the tribes but not outside.

I realize the economic impact of this but the fact is if your business model is overharvesting a finite resource then your business is doomed to fail at some point. Buffalo hunting comes to mind. Not to mention the economic gain that would be seen from the increase in sports fishing $$ spent and tourism.

The issue is far more complicated than this I know but as far as I am concerned that should be the ultimate goal and we should work with the tribes to accomplish it.

Impossible you say? It worked for market hunting and it also worked for striped bass and redfish. Now those are two awesome sport fisheries that bring in millions of $$.

Member PSA Sno-King

Alumaweld Blackhawk 202 - Merc 150 Optimax - Ofishal Bizness

#965095 - 09/28/16 01:54 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
This year is unique in that there were no substantial marine impacts on Coho before the tribal nets went in. The WDFW told advisors last week that the Muckleshoot had netted over 14K coho in the green so far this year.

My question is: Since w have no "upstream" impacts in marine areas this year, what is the department doing to ensure that recreational interests get their fair share of the surplus? Who is advocating on recreational fishing interests behalf within the department, and to what degree?

Knowing that sport fishing has not come close to the catching the amount of fish the tribes have thus far, shouldnt the nets be immeadiately pulled from the water to ensure that recreation fishermen and women can catch their fair share? We are supposed to get 50%, right, and this year we are trending to get about 10%.

Where is the emergency tribal closure to ensure equity in allocation? Where is the Co management?

#965096 - 09/28/16 02:01 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Loc: around
Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
This year is unique in that there were no substantial marine impacts on Coho before the tribal nets went in. The WDFW told advisors last week that the Muckleshoot had netted over 14K coho in the green so far this year.

My question is: Since w have no "upstream" impacts in marine areas this year, what is the department doing to ensure that recreational interests get their fair share of the surplus? Who is advocating on recreational fishing interests behalf within the department, and to what degree?

Knowing that sport fishing has not come close to the catching the amount of fish the tribes have thus far, shouldnt the nets be immeadiately pulled from the water to ensure that recreation fishermen and women can catch their fair share? We are supposed to get 50%, right, and this year we are trending to get about 10%.

Where is the emergency tribal closure to ensure equity in allocation? Where is the Co management?

exactly

#965099 - 09/28/16 02:40 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Steeldrifter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Pierce county
Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy

Spot On!

They did open the lower green and will be opening higher stretches of the river in October and increased the limit to 3 adults though. Perhaps that's how we are supposed to get our 50%?

Edited by Steeldrifter (09/28/16 02:42 PM)

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1004 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |