Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#964416 - 09/15/16 05:00 PM Suck it WDFW
Piper
Unregistered

We managed to have a great time fishing this summer despite WDFW shiting on our Puget sound Coho season...

Right out of the gates on the opener, we boated a limit of Chinook along with 10 coho up to 6 lbs, we knew then it would be an epic season filled with the frustration of turning loose hatchery fish we paid for... Kings limits were had most every day along with multiple limits of large hatchery coho that died in a net, not necessarily my net. Kings were running small this year, 6-10# but all hatchery and all dime bright...

With Salmon season over in August, I found myself with plenty of time on my hands and the fantastic opportunity to join my friend Joel on his new (old) 26' shamrock for an ocean adventure we will never forget.

We set out of Illwalco early on a Sunday with a full bait well and a 40 mile trip out to the temperature break where the tuna were hanging out. it was a long run out but the bar crossing was cake and the ocean got better the farther we went out.

Things started off pretty slow, trolling teasers and plugs for two hours before we had the first fish on... But after that it was game on for the rest of the day... we boated 3 tuna in the first bait stop and had a deck bloody enough to make Dracula drool...

Once the sharks moved in, we set off on the troll and less than an hour later, we hit another and started chucking anchovies over the side... After multiple single hookups, a quad hookup, including one that we had to hand line, we now had nine in the boat.

After trolling another hour or so, and within 15 minutes of calling it a successful day, we hit one more fish on the troll but with the bait well nearly empty we still enough for one last bait stop. We fished the live bait right to the bitter end... In fact, the tuna were still biting right down to the last live bait we put over the side, which turned out to be our 18th for the day... It was a fantastic bluewater day and one that I will never forget!

Here is a Video my friend Joel put together of the day... I had never fished for tuna before and never held a gaff in my hand, as you can tell, but I will definately do it again!

#964422 - 09/15/16 06:38 PM Re: Suck it WDFW [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Right on Pipe! thumbs

Those Shamrock boats are really sweet boats. How many feet is that one? Does he want to sell it? wink

Never mind I saw you posted 26'.

Edited by Sol Duc (09/15/16 06:44 PM)

- Albert Einstein.

#964456 - 09/16/16 12:24 PM Re: Suck it WDFW [Re: ]
Steeldrifter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Pierce county
Great video. Way to put the wood to them and the hand line fish was incredible.....

#964464 - 09/16/16 02:46 PM Re: Suck it WDFW [Re: Steeldrifter]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Steeldrifter
Great video. Way to put the wood to them and the hand line fish was incredible.....

thanks! glad you enjoyed it...

The only thing I have to say about tuna fishing is that when the bite is on, it is straight up chaos!! and fun as HELL! this was my first trip, and the second trip for the Shamrock...

We learned a lot, like:

1. Test out the baitwell on dry land in the boat, instead of on a picnic table in the campground the night before. That way, you don't have to figure out why it is overflowing into the bilge while crossing Columbia bar.

2. If you cut off the corrugated end of a manual bilge pump and shove it into the firehose drain from the baitwell it will drain the baitwell just fine.

3. Carry a second gaff so that when the idiot in shorts and flip flops breaks the end off of it, he can keep fishing instead of taking screws out of the dashboard to fix the broken gaff...

smile

#964573 - 09/19/16 12:39 PM Re: Suck it WDFW [Re: ]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Nice work Piper, didja throw away the shorts and flip flops and take a bleach bath afterwards? rofl Ain't never seen too many tooona pics like yours before lol!

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#964578 - 09/19/16 01:21 PM Re: Suck it WDFW [Re: NOFISH]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: NOFISH
Nice work Piper, didja throw away the shorts and flip flops and take a bleach bath afterwards?

had this toona rookie known what to expect, I wouldn't have worn my good work shorts wink

they are now hanging on the wall of fame in the garage... smile

#964589 - 09/19/16 04:32 PM Re: Suck it WDFW [Re: ]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Nice stuff Piper, who needs boots. I especially like the thread title.

#964590 - 09/19/16 05:23 PM Re: Suck it WDFW [Re: ]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Originally Posted By: Piper
Nice work Piper, didja throw away the shorts and flip flops and take a bleach bath afterwards?

had this toona rookie known what to expect, I wouldn't have worn my good work shorts wink

they are now hanging on the wall of fame in the garage... smile

Work shorts rofl You're killing me

so I'm guessing the flip flops are part of the warm blob now? moose

Can that stuff....the searing is good, but the canning is much more bueno!

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#964594 - 09/19/16 05:57 PM Re: Suck it WDFW [Re: NOFISH]
Piper
Unregistered

Work shorts rofl You're killing me

I've been know to push the limits of casual Friday - engineers don't know what to make of me wink

BTW... flip flops survived, but since they're a bright shade of red, I dont have anything to wear them with, I think I'm gonna save them for my secret Santa outfit smile

#964618 - 09/20/16 12:12 PM Re: Suck it WDFW [Re: ]
Idaho Mike Offline
Carcass

Loc: Post Falls Idaho
Nice job! Thanks for posting.

#964620 - 09/20/16 12:32 PM Re: Suck it WDFW [Re: ]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Awesome Piper! That toona fishin' sure is fun huh?

Get yourself some boots man! Not so much for the toona blood....but to prevent your future blood from spilling on deck. Safety first!

#965147 - 09/29/16 11:46 AM Re: Suck it WDFW [Re: ]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Fish pictures?

Cool idea.

Great post.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |