THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96515 - 09/23/00 02:12 AM WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Of all the lines out there, you certainly have alot to choose from. My favorite is Maxima ultragreen for mainline on levelwinds and all leaders. On spinning reels I use Stren magnathin in the moss color! What are the hot choices and why???

------------------

#96516 - 09/23/00 02:16 AM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
salmontackler Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Sunny Salmontackler Acres
Maxima UG, there is no other line worth considering for baitcasters, or salmon reels.

#96517 - 09/23/00 02:43 AM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
I like "soft" mainlines. Also, I respool with fresh line so often I need something relatively cheap. So I mainly use Ande or BigGame. If I feel like splurging I'll pick up a spool of Tournament Ande or G-Line. For leaders, I cannot hedge here. Maxima UG from 4-30 lb test.

#96518 - 09/23/00 03:00 AM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I change my line lots like Hoh, so I also want quantity with my quality....Ande Green for my baitcasters

------------------
Marty
Steelheader.net marty@steelheader.net

#96519 - 09/23/00 09:44 AM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
B Mac Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Graham,WA, USA
I have to agree with the other posts and say Ande for my baitcasters. Respooling often is a must, and you can't beat the price of Ande. I have many freinds who have lost the only fish of the day, and find out later they are using the same line they had on their reels the previous year. For my summer run fishing with spinning gear I have been using Berkely ultrathin and have not had any problems. Good fishing!

#96520 - 09/23/00 10:53 AM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
K B Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Woodinville WA
I have been using IZOR On a bait caster it works great and it is very strong and holds knots well. The price is right also. I landed a 32# king on 8# test WOW that was fun !!

#96521 - 09/23/00 12:03 PM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
This year in the salt, I started using #25 Stren High Impact in high vis green. It's wonderful, very tough, and abrasion resistant, but also soft enough to work with. I strongly recommend it. I will be using it for my river slamon fishing as well. As for leaders, it's Max. UG all the way.
As for steelies, Mx UG once again... T

The line debate is very similar to the hook debate.... they are both such small prices to pay considering the prices you have paid for everything else.

TH

www.thcustomrods.com
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#96522 - 09/23/00 01:08 PM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
tule Offline
Alevin

Loc: Vancouver, WA USA
I work at a large sporting goods store. We've ran various tests on maxima vs. trilene, on the breakage scale 15 lb. maxima ultra green broke at 18 pds, while trilene xt broke at 22 pds. Although the maxima is the larger diameter and more expensive, trilene is as abrasion resistant, limper, and cheaper, which is great for baitcasting reels and changing your line often. Big Game is another great line, a little bit limper, but larger diameter. Our boss is sure to tell us not to argue with maxima guys, because they have been using it so long. So no offense.

#96523 - 09/23/00 05:37 PM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
Suzuki Sandman Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Lacey,Washington
MAXIMA, MAXIMA, MAXIMA...... It is the BEST!!
I use both UG and Chameleon. I used to use UG only and it does work great, good breaking point and soft enough to work with. I switched to Chameleon and boy is it strong.. A little harder to work with at first. I tied on a 2oz weight and put about 30 cast's on it and it seemed to ease up on the stiffness.
Either Way, MAXIMA Baby!!!

#96524 - 09/23/00 06:14 PM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I also like Maxima U.G. for bait casters and I've been using Izorline this year on my spinning reels....both are tough lines that don't break easily. For a super limp line Excaliber by Silver Thread is hard to beat.

#96525 - 09/23/00 09:19 PM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
Bruce(Coho@TheRefuge) Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bothell, WA, USA
Trilene XT.... good abrasion resistance. I always used it in salt now use it in rivers too. Only thing I wish is that it was more visible in low light conditions. I use Maxima for leaders.

[This message has been edited by Bruce (edited 09-23-2000).]

#96526 - 09/23/00 09:28 PM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
MAXIMA MAXIMA!!!!MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMAMAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAMAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMAXIMA MAXIMAMAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMMAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMA MAXIMAA

[This message has been edited by Timber man (edited 09-23-2000).]

#96527 - 09/23/00 09:59 PM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
Hammer Bob Offline
Fry

Loc: Yolo, Ca. USA
Years ago I had terrible luck with Maxima. When fishing in the ocean if you got within 20 ft. of a piece of kelp it would break. For ocean fishing I have gone with Big Game and for backbouncing I really like using the Fusion line with mono leaders. I do miss the shock absorbing properties of mono but this can be offset with a lighter drag and a calloused thumb.

#96528 - 09/23/00 09:59 PM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
like the hook debate it boils down to having confidence in my gear, Maxima is a great line and I have alot of confidence in it. Trilene or Ande I would call a close second.

#96529 - 09/23/00 10:42 PM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
Aerofly Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle
Like Maxima very much, but have to choose Tectan for all my reels now. or the Steel power both from a german company called DAMYAL. Still will use maixima for my leaders.

#96530 - 09/23/00 10:43 PM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
EricW Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Aberdeen,WA
OK, I'll enter the card game here.

I've used maxima forever but switched totally to trilene xt for about 5 years because I had to cut off about 10 ft. of maxima whenever I hung up and broke off because the maxima got weak from stretching so far up the line.....it was getting to be an old story so I switched to trilene.

However, the green trilene xt is damn near impossible to see in low light and that was also getting to be an old story.

So.....I now use maxima crystal ivory and I am totally happy with it. Holds up well but offers decent visibility above water without the neon "loudness" of some other bright lines.

Only downer is the stuff is darn near impossible to find in a store so I order mine through bass pro. Good price too......$11 something for a thousand yards!

#96531 - 09/23/00 11:16 PM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
TK Offline
Parr

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
My vote goes to Crystal Ivory Maxima for main line as well, for baitcasters. You get 5 times as much as Ultragreen for the same or less price. You get good visibility above water. I use the same strength Izorline leader (10 and 10) and the Izor is slightly weaker, you don't have to drop to 10 and 8.

I took Jigman's advice and tried the Excalibur for my spinning reels and it is very good line, in my opinion.

TK

#96532 - 09/24/00 01:11 AM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
DavH12 Offline
Egg

Maxima is great until you hook a big fish. It stretches and loses half its strength. I'd have to go with Trilene although im trying McCoy right now. We'll see how it does.

#96533 - 09/24/00 03:48 AM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
hogtide Offline
Alevin

Loc: warren, Or.
MAXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXIMAAAAAA !!!!!!!!
....unless Trilene XT is on sale.

#96534 - 09/24/00 12:45 PM Re: WE TALKED HOOKS LETS TALK LINE!!!
steelyhorn hunter Offline
Smolt

Loc: eastside
MAXIMA!!! I've tried the rest and always returned to the best; Maxima!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 524 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |