Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#965065 - 09/28/16 10:50 AM Ketchikan self trip
Ofishal Bizness Offline
Smolt

Loc: Poulsbo, WA
Greeting all,

I am in the beginning stages of planning a self done trip to Ketchikan early next July.

Plan so far is to take our 3/4 ton Dodge, 8' cabover camper, towing 20' Alumaweld Blackhawk from Kitsap to Prince Rupert, board the Alaska marine highway ferry for a 6 hour ride to Ketchikan.

Once in Ketchikan we will stay at the Clover Pass resort, they have RV parking, launch and moorage facilities and will quick freeze your catch for the trip home.

Has anyone done this type of trip to SE Alaska before using the ferry system up there?

Any tips, tricks, advice, cautions are most welcome.

TIA!

Member PSA Sno-King

Alumaweld Blackhawk 202 - Merc 150 Optimax - Ofishal Bizness

#965066 - 09/28/16 10:58 AM Re: Ketchikan self trip [Re: Ofishal Bizness]
dwatkins Offline
I'm Idaho!

Originally Posted By: Ofishal Bizness
Greeting all,

I am in the beginning stages of planning a self done trip to Ketchikan early next July.

Plan so far is to take our 3/4 ton Dodge, 8' cabover camper, towing 20' Alumaweld Blackhawk from Kitsap to Prince Rupert, board the Alaska marine highway ferry for a 6 hour ride to Ketchikan.

Once in Ketchikan we will stay at the Clover Pass resort, they have RV parking, launch and moorage facilities and will quick freeze your catch for the trip home.

Has anyone done this type of trip to SE Alaska before using the ferry system up there?

Any tips, tricks, advice, cautions are most welcome.

TIA!

sounds like a freakin blast. good luck

#965068 - 09/28/16 11:28 AM Re: Ketchikan self trip [Re: Ofishal Bizness]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Sounds like a great trip! It is just over 1,000 miles to Prince Rupert - I checked having considered towing there and then running to Alaska by boat. I like your approach better.

You might want to be sure Canada won't give you any problems with the boat/trailer braking system. Seems that is a difficult thing to pin down as to where the dividing line is on what requires more than a surge brake system.

Another thing to consider is that you can have frozen fish shipped home via Alaska Airlines. That airline also has cold storage at its freight terminal at SEA-TAC although not sure how long they will hold it or have family/friends pick it up.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#965080 - 09/28/16 12:05 PM Re: Ketchikan self trip [Re: Ofishal Bizness]
Ofishal Bizness Offline
Smolt

Thanks Larry. I had read something about the trailer brake issue up there as well so we will check into it as we get further along.

I had toyed with the idea of towing to Prince Rupert and then running the boat up from there but there is a lot of open water between the two for our boat, plus I like the idea of having the camper as a home port to fish out of once we are there so I think the ferry gig is the better option for us.

Although when i get the "next" boat I might play with the idea more seriously. :-)

We have 2 100 qt and 1 75 qt coolers so I was thinking we would have the resort freeze the fish then throw it in the coolers with dry ice for the trip home. We will bring the vacpack up with us so everything will already be processed.

Edited by Ofishal Bizness (09/28/16 12:06 PM)

Member PSA Sno-King

#965086 - 09/28/16 12:30 PM Re: Ketchikan self trip [Re: Ofishal Bizness]
luckydogss Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton
I've been going up there for 20 years, I keep a boat up there. I go in June for kings and Sept for silvers, July and Aug are mostly pinks & chums unless you want to take a long run to POW. I wouldn't recommend that option in 20' boat. I don't know how long you plan to stay but if you're leaving before silvers show up, you're missing some awesome fishing.
Halibut is easy all summer.
I'm happy to answer any questions you might have and if you're in town when I'm there, I can show you some remote spots to fish.
Pick up a chart and make sure your Gps plotter has a detailed card for that area. Without it, you'll be lost! I'd also make sure you have good safety equipment, especially a good radio.
Regarding getting the boat there, I sent mine by barge. You might want to get a quote and see if it makes sense financially.
That area is absolutely beautiful and fantastic fishing.
Pm me if you want some info.

#965097 - 09/28/16 02:02 PM Re: Ketchikan self trip [Re: Ofishal Bizness]
Ofishal Bizness Offline
Smolt

Thanks Luckydogss.

Planning on first week of July, I'm thinking there should still be some kings around and a few silvers starting to come in and we will do quite a bit of bottom fishing as that's our preferred eating fish.

We've been up there a couple of times, the last in 2013 where we spent a week in Misty Fjord in mid-July with Capt Rob on Classic Alaskan Charters. Awesome trip to an awesome area. We caught pinks until I couldn't hardly hold a rod any more, limited on hali and rock fish and jigged up a bunch of silvers as well. Brought back 85lbs of fillets between my wife and I, the other three family members brought back about 50 lbs a piece. No shortage of fish and incredible scenery to top it off.

Thanks for the offer to answer questions, I'll PM you some.

Member PSA Sno-King

#965226 - 09/30/16 05:44 PM Re: Ketchikan self trip [Re: Ofishal Bizness]
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
I was just up there! I fished out of Knudson's which is just a bit North of Clover Pass resort.

Bob and Dave

I was hoping for 6 fish days but it wasn't red hot. Still caught quite a few and came home with 2 50# boxes of filet's.

I have a buddy who pays $2+ per pound and just drops his fish off at Clover. Not me. I did my own. Takes some time, but I think it's part of the game. Knudson's has 2 chamber vacuum packers so if you wait until the crowd is gone vacuuming fly's. The freezer is right next to the vacuum packers. Only thing I didn't like about that setup is they wanted you to use their bags at $.75 each. I found a 1000 bag's for $45 online. I sure like those chamber VP's

I might get tempted to take the same trip.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |