Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#965295 - 10/03/16 06:42 AM Grays Harbor
OLYBEAV Offline
Alevin

Loc: Lacey, Wa
Anyone fish Grays Harbor over the weekend and willing to share a report?

#965345 - 10/03/16 06:02 PM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: OLYBEAV]
yelloweye Offline
Juvenile at Sea

We found a couple of coho today in the south channel. Didn't see a whole lot of action.

#965347 - 10/03/16 06:59 PM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: OLYBEAV]
OLYBEAV Offline
Alevin

I appreciate your response yelloweye. Just trying to get an idea if it's
worth the trip down there.

#965364 - 10/04/16 09:56 AM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: OLYBEAV]
Winterun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tac/Puy
OLYBEAV,
Well, I'll chime in here since I've posted a response on FB, and another fishing website. Since its been radio silence on your post.

But first noticed your from Lacey, your a heck of a lot closer to GH than me, that would be the first reason to go. Second, it was the opener, and if you've have fished it in the past, it should be an annual pilgrimage!!!

Lastly, since I'm in the fishing industry, and sell terminal tackle(especially sharp pointy one's) I encourage folks to get out and fish, if anything to share in the experience with family, fishing buddies, and to just get out from behind that computer, and breath the fresh air!!! It's good for one's soul!!!

OK, here's my report. The tides weren't the best, the weather didn't cooperate at times, and you could only keep 1 salmon. But, the wind did lay down for the best hour of the day, The High Water Bite!!! Come on, if you've experienced that you know what I'm talking about right!?!? When the Golden hour did come, boats were getting sideways everywhere, nets flying as if it were national net day, and a considerable amount of fish came over people's gunnels!!! In fact in one pass, we got sideways 3 times, and we only needed one more to get off the water so we could support the local economy and get some lunch!!!

Too bad we couldn't retain 2, 1 of each, but that's for another thread!!! Would it have been worth it to come and keep 2 sure. But for only 1 fish, maybe, would it be worth my time??? That's probably why I only counted 40 boats at any given time fishing. For the lucky ones that did catch fish and for the "Chosen People" that made the effort to come out and fish and catch their limit. To share it with their families, and there fishing buddies, and to have stories to tell there co-workers, other fishing friends that didn't come out that were on the fence, and down the road to tell the story to their grandkids.....I fished the opener at Grays Harbor in 2016, wish you could have been there!!! Well.......that's priceless!!! Don't waste your opportunity.

In closing "OB", we fished opening day, our boat had 7 bites, landed 4, and killed 2, since it was just me and the skipper. All on whole brined herring.

If you decide to go....Good Luck and Good Fishing,
Winterun

Edited by Winterun (10/04/16 10:10 AM)

#965370 - 10/04/16 11:36 AM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: Winterun]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Quote:
Too bad we couldn't retain 2, 1 of each,

GHMP has a clause that did not allow Chinook keep other than hatchery. If you kept Coho any differently you would have had a two week season maybe. With low Coho it was 5% of run impact. Your lucky the Chinook forecast was what it was ( on paper ) or we would have been lucky to get the bay open at all.

#965387 - 10/04/16 03:36 PM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: OLYBEAV]
osprey2015 Offline
Fry

I am below the Satsop a few miles on the Chehalis and did not see much being caught-alot of effort with boats and anglers.

Alot of rain past few days so it couldn't get worse.

#965393 - 10/04/16 04:30 PM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: OLYBEAV]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

More rain on the way, and a lot of it. If it settles down again, it will be as good as it's going to get (which I hope is a heck of a lot better than it's been for me on the river).

#965397 - 10/04/16 07:18 PM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: OLYBEAV]
OLYBEAV Offline
Alevin

Your point is well taken Winterun. Like most of us, there are plenty of demands on my time so I try to make the best use of it. Wasn't needing a "hot" report to feel like a trip was worthwhile. I would have given up on my hunting and fishing endeavors long ago if it just was all about the catching and killing. I do appreciate when people are willing to share reports. I have tried to do the same when I could. Unfortunately for me today would have been my last chance to go until the middle of the month and I didn't do. Best of luck to all!

#965404 - 10/04/16 08:30 PM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: FleaFlickr02]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
More rain on the way, and a lot of it. If it settles down again, it will be as good as it's going to get (which I hope is a heck of a lot better than it's been for me on the river).

+1

Thanks heaven for "jacks", some Wild Chinook and Wild Coho but no legal adults in my boat. I've tried eggs, plugs, spinners, twitching, spoons....oh no, am I going to have to go back to trolling???????

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#965410 - 10/04/16 09:58 PM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: OLYBEAV]
Cozmo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Ballard, Wa
Fished the Satsop today and it's hot...for sucker fish! Our boat must of hooked 20+ between twitching, spinners and eggs. No coho, no kings. Hell only saw one fish roll from the West Fork to the Highway. Dumped rain on us all day but at least the beer was cold.

#965427 - 10/05/16 07:38 AM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: OLYBEAV]
jgreen Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Elma, WA
Well, the rain has arrived here. Looks like the Satsop is up around 1500. Here come the fish. Finally.

#965434 - 10/05/16 09:25 AM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: OLYBEAV]
Winterun Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tac/Puy
Originally Posted By: OLYBEAV
Your point is well taken Winterun. Like most of us, there are plenty of demands on my time so I try to make the best use of it. Wasn't needing a "hot" report to feel like a trip was worthwhile. I would have given up on my hunting and fishing endeavors long ago if it just was all about the catching and killing. I do appreciate when people are willing to share reports. I have tried to do the same when I could. Unfortunately for me today would have been my last chance to go until the middle of the month and I didn't do. Best of luck to all!

Hey OLYBEAV!
I hope you didn't take this the wrong way, just wanted to get people jazzed about getting outdoors! My reply was just to get folks "thinking" and getting out and doing what we all have in common and that's fishing, with what little opportunities we have. But yeah, I understand how "life" gets in the way also. So we try to maximize our time outdoors, as best we can, of course when we have the chance to take advantage of it.
In fact with all this rain in the forecast, it should get things moving this week hopefully. But unfortunately, when things are starting to make that turn, and possibly look good for this weekend or maybe next week. I'll be out of town for work, go figure!!!
See you folks out there,
Winterun

#965436 - 10/05/16 09:56 AM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: OLYBEAV]
Henry Ganno Offline
Alevin

OLYBEAV Fished below the Satsop yesterday lots of fish in the river biters not so many. I put one hatchery king in the boat and had a few missed opportunities seen a few others caught

#965437 - 10/05/16 09:57 AM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: jgreen]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: jgreen
Well, the rain has arrived here. Looks like the Satsop is up around 1500. Here come the fish. Finally.

According to the forecast, mud and whole trees will likely make their appearance very soon as well. Hope a few stay within the fishing boundaries until it settles down.

#965441 - 10/05/16 11:03 AM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: OLYBEAV]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

This reads like an FBI server investigation.

#965452 - 10/05/16 12:40 PM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/weather/10_day.cgi What is coming is not pretty but more to come. http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/rfc/ and you can pick your area by forecast rain on the map on the 240 hour tab.

Edited by Rivrguy (10/05/16 12:40 PM)

#965453 - 10/05/16 12:54 PM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: OLYBEAV]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

#965463 - 10/05/16 01:57 PM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: OLYBEAV]
Cozmo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Ballard, Wa
Oh and if you haven't fished from the West Fork to the Highway in a while, the river is completely different by Stormy's property. We were able to dodge the stumps in the low flows but I'd imagine it could be alot more challenging with more water.

#965485 - 10/05/16 04:31 PM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: Cozmo]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: Cozmo
Oh and if you haven't fished from the West Fork to the Highway in a while, the river is completely different by Stormy's property. We were able to dodge the stumps in the low flows but I'd imagine it could be alot more challenging with more water.

No camera in the boat?????? Would have been a perfect time to snap some pictures of the "Stormy's property area".

Hard to tell from the East or West Satsop roads just how the river flows in this area....

Edited by DrifterWA (10/05/16 04:35 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#965487 - 10/05/16 04:46 PM Re: Grays Harbor [Re: OLYBEAV]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Good call, Cozmo. Has that reached a point where you can't go down what used to be the main channel to the right? Maybe at more normal flows, that would be the ticket? Stormy's backyard looks pretty inhospitable at normal fall flows, to your point.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 300 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |