Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#965513 - 10/06/16 05:53 AM fNp fillet VIDEO
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

I introduced my longstanding signature fillet method to the cyberworld back in 2004. It has since been published in STS, SSJ and the Seattle Times. After many years of requests to do a video, fishin' bud and supreme auto mechanic BB Butch stitched together this short clip on how it's done. He caught it, shot it with his iPhone, edited and posted to GoPro.

https://splice.gopro.com/v?id=B6WglzN68

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#965514 - 10/06/16 06:58 AM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: eyeFISH]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Beautiful! That's how you do it! Thank You! Never could understand the rinsing and wasted collars and bellies by some of the methods witnessed at cleaning stations. I even like de scale before filleting. Gets the slime at the same time.

Edited by RUNnGUN (10/06/16 07:03 AM)

#965517 - 10/06/16 08:06 AM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: eyeFISH]
Cozmo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Ballard, Wa
Holy smokes, that's incredible.

#965518 - 10/06/16 08:24 AM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: eyeFISH]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Fillet like a surgeon! I gotta' try that next time.

#965519 - 10/06/16 08:25 AM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Seen you do it before, but it was worth another look. Next request: show me how to get that annoying membrane off the belly sections. I like my salmon seasoned (with salt and pepper), and that membrane prevents seasoning from penetrating the flesh beneath, and while the flesh still tastes good without it, some salt in there really gets the taste buds hopping.

I usually just slowly, painstakingly use my fillet knife to get just under the surface and peel it away. This works, but it's a pain in the arse. Any solutions to offer (besides cooking it, peeling it, and adding salt later, which does NOT deliver the same, bacon-like results)?

#965525 - 10/06/16 09:16 AM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: eyeFISH]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Nice video of your technique Francis, Butch made a nice edit. I always use your method when I know I am going to smoke the fish, I divide it up into smoker sized chunks on the round and then just peel it off using the techniques above. It saves a step.

Shad, I haven't figured out the belly membrane, but I always eat the bellies seared rare. So what I do is grill hot/fast flesh down (including the membrane) then flip and peel back as much membrane as I can as it is cooking (with fingers or small straight edge tongs). Then quickly paint on melted butter and pepper and close the lid until done (couple more minutes). The butter has enough salt for me. Sort of messy, but the best way I have found. It loses the sear marks, but they were on the membrane anyway.

#965526 - 10/06/16 09:29 AM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: eyeFISH]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Nice work with the knife doc. This method does retain a lot of meat that even the best filleter would miss using a traditional cut from the head to tail along the spine. Thats the best benefit from your method IMO, you can retain the entire size and shape of the fillet, and de-rib-bone in the process!

#965527 - 10/06/16 09:37 AM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: FleaFlickr02]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Seen you do it before, but it was worth another look. Next request: show me how to get that annoying membrane off the belly sections. I like my salmon seasoned (with salt and pepper), and that membrane prevents seasoning from penetrating the flesh beneath, and while the flesh still tastes good without it, some salt in there really gets the taste buds hopping.

I usually just slowly, painstakingly use my fillet knife to get just under the surface and peel it away. This works, but it's a pain in the arse. Any solutions to offer (besides cooking it, peeling it, and adding salt later, which does NOT deliver the same, bacon-like results)?

broil and eat

#965531 - 10/06/16 10:56 AM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks for the belly membrane tips, all. If I ever catch another salmon (seeming in doubt lately, but maybe the Doc can help me out Monday), I'll get back to the drawing board on that one.

#965544 - 10/06/16 03:30 PM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: ]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
Nicely done !

Do you have to gut clean the fish first or can you leave it in the round before filleting ?

In the round is fine, but the kidney is a tremendous reservoir of residual blood so be prepared to do a little extra wiping. Also you have to make an additional longitudinal incision about 2-3 inches up from the ventral midline (just past the distal extent of the ribs) in order to release the belly pieces. You'll be left with a nice long succulent 4-5 inch wide belly strip containing both ventral fins

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#965549 - 10/06/16 06:55 PM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: eyeFISH]
Swami Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Everett,Wa
Great video thanks for sharing.

#965553 - 10/06/16 08:37 PM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: eyeFISH]
BGR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Marysville, WA
Good stuff. Looks like I have some practicing to do. Thanks for sharing!

#965574 - 10/07/16 09:28 AM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: eyeFISH]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
I like it.
Always wondered how you did this, the video is a great help.

#965584 - 10/07/16 11:59 AM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: Paul Smenis]
Kinetic Kwik Offline
Spawner

Loc: sum x wet,sum x dry WA 4 Life

#965587 - 10/07/16 12:46 PM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I usually cut around the ribs like Mr. Shay there, but I'm not nearly as quick as he is, and while they're not bad, my fillets usually don't look as good as his.

#965880 - 10/11/16 09:37 AM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: eyeFISH]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Thanks Doc. Great video! I’ve been using this technique for the past several years. The video confirmed what I’ve found.

It is a great way to fillet fish, especially larger fish (15+lbs). The wastage is zero. However, it is slow. Really slow. I can fillet a salmon using the traditional method in about a minute. This technique takes much more time. Your video confirms that my laborious 5+ minutes per fish just about matches yours.

Also, your collar cuts are much deeper than mine. I usually go around the gill plate rather than starting a few inches back. So my collars are much narrower. I may try to start the collar cut a few inches back to provide a little more meat on those bones, as you suggest. Also, I always smoke the collars. Does anyone do anything else with them? I’ve never tried grilling the collars, but with more meat on them, it might be worth a try.

Lately, on larger salmon I’ve been trying to fillet out the cheek meat (ala, halibut). It takes some good knife skills to get all the cheek meat; and it’s never a lot of meat. The cheeks end up in the smoker, along with the collars.

Thanks again.

#966096 - 10/13/16 08:22 PM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: Kinetic Kwik]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Kinetic Kwik

The fish at 2:45 is a harelip salar

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#966104 - 10/13/16 11:11 PM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: eyeFISH]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Always good stuff, Doc. I do it a tad differently because I lack patience and love the fin meat. wink

For quickly banishing slime and scales, have always hit 'em with a garden hose from stern to bow when processing at home. Blows the stuff right off in a few seconds.

#966153 - 10/15/16 01:29 PM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: Driftin']
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Driftin'

For quickly banishing slime and scales, have always hit 'em with a garden hose from stern to bow when processing at home. Blows the stuff right off in a few seconds.

I too believe in a good powerwash against the grain, but that only works on ocean fish or the freshest pre-transition fish that haven't hardened off in the bay/river yet.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#966156 - 10/15/16 02:45 PM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: cohoangler]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: cohoangler
Also, I always smoke the collars. Does anyone do anything else with them? I’ve never tried grilling the collars, but with more meat on them, it might be worth a try.

Cook up the collars any way you would any other piece of the fish. My favorite is a simple seasoning of salt MSG and cracked pepper.... rubbed with a little EVOO after sitting at least 15-20 minutes to let the salt penetrate a bit. Into the broiler for 5-7 minutes depending on the size of the collar.

If you're a marinade kinda guy, try this....

Kind of just whip it up in what feels like appropriate Ornamental proportions… into a ZipLock bag and rotate/massage periodically over the next 12-24 hrs.

Lee Kum Kee Oyster Sauce
Brown sugar or honey
Soy sauce
Sesame oil
Fresh ground pepper
MSG
Minced garlic
Minced ginger
Minced green onion (white bottoms) save the fine green tops for garnish after cooking

Once cured, this would also make a great smoked product with an Ornamental flair. Light rinse, air dry, and smoke to your preference

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#966809 - 10/27/16 12:33 PM Re: fNp fillet VIDEO [Re: eyeFISH]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Nothing more painful than having to watch Doc do surgery on a fish. wink

I just butterfly fillet 99% of all my fish. Sometimes I keep the collars on bigger fish and sometimes I don't.

I can sleep at night knowing that I left a mm of fish meat on the bones.

I'll use the Doc fillet method on really big kings...but since I can't keep any when I'm fishing with him, haven't had to use that technique in a long while.

smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |