LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#966934 - 10/29/16 03:38 PM ESA-listed hatchery salmon? Is the for real?
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

#966943 - 10/29/16 08:01 PM Re: ESA-listed hatchery salmon? Is the for real? [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

After all the closures and confusing politics...

I just wanna fish. Hope this means more opportunity.

#966944 - 10/29/16 08:14 PM Re: ESA-listed hatchery salmon? Is the for real? [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
JustBecause Offline
Juvenile at Sea

This is not new, it’s just the latest round of updates identifying hatchery stocks that are part of the listed salmon and steelhead population. It happens with every 5-year status review, the latest of which (2015) came out earlier this year.

It’s been in place since the final “Hatchery listing Policy” in 2005: http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov/publications/frn/2005/70fr37204.pdf

#966999 - 10/31/16 08:07 AM Re: ESA-listed hatchery salmon? Is the for real? [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

So now we're back to believing hatcheries can be used to recover stocks, eh? I'm sure it will work this time, now that we're so much "better" at making hatchery fish.

Not much in that article made any sense to me, so I may have missed a key point, but what I gathered was that hatchery salmon are now eligible for protection unde the ESA. Apparently, they have been for 11 years. Whether this is news or not, anyone thinking this might lead to better or more opportunities for sport fishing might consider two things:
1. This brilliant bit of "science" comes from NMFS, the same folks who brought us the sort of wisdom that prescribes indiscriminate, open ocean fishing on all stocks, with zero awareness of which stocks are being impacted most.
2. Have you ever known the acronym "ESA" to be associated with increasing sport opportunity? It won't be this time, either.

One could hope this would mean restrictions on open ocean fisheries, to protect the precious hatchery stocks, but considering that our opportunity is whatever's left on paper AFTER commercial (tribal and NT) impacts are accounted for, that would be naive at best. Far more likely, they'll use the increased production to justify sustaining ocean harvest, then close sport fisheries where the protected hatchery stocks originate when the returns come up short.

Protected hatchery fish can only mean less opportunity in terminal areas. That's the way I read it.

I think this is just setting the stage for the eventual abandonment of wild salmon recovery efforts. With only hatchery fish, environmental protections will slide by the wayside, clearing the way for more development. Fisheries management (as regards salmon) would get really easy without protected, wild stocks to try and avoid; just let 'em fish to a number. Tribes won't care, as long as there are enough hatchery fish left so they get theirs, too.

Should we expect anything different when our natural resources are managed by the Department of Commerce?

#967009 - 10/31/16 09:29 AM Re: ESA-listed hatchery salmon? Is the for real? [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks for the link, JB. Here's the link to the new statement:

http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov/mediacenter/81fr72759.pdf

I can see why the article says nobody has commented on it. It's dense as hell.

I don't have the policy chops to know if the language that applies directly to me (Puget Sound) is actually just housekeeping, or if the proposed changes to descriptions are carefully-laid landmines. Probably the latter.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |