LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#968673 - 11/23/16 06:52 AM Interesting article on bar crossings (and more)!
uyellowdirtydog Offline
Parr

Loc: Whidbey

Very interesting article on bar crossings (and more)!
Some good pictures also!
Maybe many of you have seen this article, first time for me!
G

Reading Weather, Bar
& Ocean Conditions for a Small Boater

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Weather_Barcrossing_small_boat.htm

#968725 - 11/23/16 09:26 PM Re: Interesting article on bar crossings (and more)! [Re: uyellowdirtydog]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

I like that rule of 12's... very easy to remember. Also illustrates why the hour on either side of slack is the PRIME time to be fishing.... well at least the brand of fishing I prefer.

The hard part is remembering the LAG between low tide (a low water level) and low slack (a tidal current velocity of ZERO that occurs sometime AFTER low tide). I think we forget about the fact that this lag is dependent on the volume of water being exchanged. The run-out on a big ebb takes LONGER to finally go slack. Can't forget that when making a bar crossing.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#968741 - 11/24/16 08:31 AM Re: Interesting article on bar crossings (and more)! [Re: uyellowdirtydog]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

I was always told "Ocean Squared"; 6', 6 sec. 8', 8 sec. etc. But their are always exceptions! "A good seaman weathers the storm he cannot avoid and avoids the storm he cannot weather". It's the unpredictability that makes me nervous.

Here is one of my favorites.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/vi...mp;action=click

Happy Thanksgiving.

Edited by RUNnGUN (11/25/16 08:47 AM)

#968828 - 11/26/16 07:04 AM Re: Interesting article on bar crossings (and more)! [Re: uyellowdirtydog]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
some years back there was a video of boats crossing the bar at Depot Bay with the Coast Guard boat criss crossing behind the boats on the way in.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#968899 - 11/27/16 07:21 PM Re: Interesting article on bar crossings (and more)! [Re: uyellowdirtydog]
Old Kelpie Offline
Fry

Loc: Lower Columbia
The first time I read that article of LeeRoys' was December of 2013. It paid off big time. Good information for the novice and veteran mariner alike. I pull it up every once in a while to refresh and ingrain his information.

The lag time that eyeFish has referenced is also something I pay close attention to. On the CR Bar it can be as much as an hours difference. A lot of guys who fish there use this site as it calculates those variable into the equation and give a better timing on the slack.

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?site=Clatsop+Spit%2C+NNE+of%2C+Washington+Current+%2815d%29

#969103 - 11/29/16 09:39 PM Re: Interesting article on bar crossings (and more)! [Re: uyellowdirtydog]
gregsalmon Offline
Spawner

Loc: alaska and washington
I used to have a technique where I would drive out till out got rough or not. If rough, go back, if calm, go out.

#969105 - 11/29/16 10:05 PM Re: Interesting article on bar crossings (and more)! [Re: uyellowdirtydog]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Sometimes you get into the thick of things in what seemed like an easily do-able bar crossing, only to find yourself mired in what seems like an ENDLESS series of one chaotic wave after the next.

There is NO turning back.

If you get sideways for a split-second too long, and you're getting rolled over... guaran's.

You either
1) trudge ahead slow and easy because you're confident that you're actually gonna make it thru...
2) attempt to hover in place while waiting for conditions to improve, or ...
3) admit defeat and let the waves slowly push you back into the bay. (Think of it as backtrolling)

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#969140 - 11/30/16 10:05 AM Re: Interesting article on bar crossings (and more)! [Re: uyellowdirtydog]
Old Kelpie Offline
Fry

Loc: Lower Columbia
Going out on a soft bar and finding the ocean to be a bit ruff, then making a decision to return may work out well. Doing a blind run on a bar especially the CR Bar may not work out so well. LeeRoys articles cover the many reasons for timing a bar crossing. There have been a few times where I'm fishing a soft ocean and have found that I must wait and time my incoming bar crossing due to poor bar conditions. Perhaps running out of a location such as a large bay with no bar turning around is a viable option. Turning around on a bar where the conditions have deteriorated is hazardous at best as eyeFish mentioned.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 433 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |