Loc: Kirkland
Take a look at emergency rules. They have closed the Snoqualmie
and Stilly system for the winter. I did not see any post this so thought
I would pass it along

#969340 - 12/03/16 03:38 PM Re: River closures [Re: redlodge]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
More fallout from the WFC/WDFW/NOAA steelhead fiasco.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#969404 - 12/05/16 08:42 PM Re: River closures [Re: redlodge]
Yakutat Jack Offline
Juvenile at Sea

WDFW confirms approx. 30 fish returning to Tokul hatchery this season (from the 2014 smolt breakout).

#969520 - 12/08/16 08:24 AM Re: River closures [Re: redlodge]
Fullhouse Offline
Fry

Loc: Concrete ,Wa
I guess I must be a little slow but from what I understand the reason stated that the stilly is closed is because there is a low return of hatchery steelhead expected to the hatchery from a run they don't want in the river and didn't plant for the last two seasons ? Really !
Is it just me or are those guys at WDFW eating way to many pot infused cookies?

#969523 - 12/08/16 08:58 AM Re: River closures [Re: redlodge]
Fullhouse Offline
Fry

Not sure what they expect . if you don't plant them but continue to net the crap out of them for a couple seasons that is going to be the result . could this whole thing boil down to the fact that the result of the WFC law suit that dosnt allow for planting of early run steelhead is that they are running out of fish and to avoid the tribes from suing the state over not getting their their half is to shut it down to sportfishers saving what ever is left for the tribes ?

#969555 - 12/08/16 07:01 PM Re: River closures [Re: redlodge]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
There were, I believe, 2 years when the suits prevented stocking of smolts. Hence, all the stocking into lakes. It is rather difficult for adults to return when nothing is planted. With 2 years blanked out you can hope for older adults (3 salt) and hope to restart the program. It will take lots of 3-salts to finally rebuild the broodyears.

#969568 - 12/08/16 09:03 PM Re: River closures [Re: redlodge]
fishkisser99 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Eastsound, WA, USA
Sooner or later we'll all be buffalo hunters, basically.

Thing is, with those streams that allowed steelhead retention but nothing else, once the steelhead production is cut, then nobody has any business casting a line there, in order to protect the native species, or in this case, protect the hatchery species, which they otherwise want killed, but only one a day, what are you, you who release that wormy summer tube sock, some kind of anti-poacher-anti-environmentalist? And yeah kinda bummed the one day I had to swing a spoon in the Stilly this year was a bust, as river was blown. For that, I think, I purchased a steelhead license? Sheesh.

Frankly, us Stilly catch-and-releasers were booted off the river this Fall so that the tribal and cowboy catch-and-keepers could get their share. That we're now booted off the river because the state hopes to get returns from fish that weren't planted seems about on par with my dream that, once again, the Stilly will be open for fishing in the winter for hatchery steelhead.

Catch-n-release simply does not compute in the MSY equation. We're buffalo hunters, anymore.

#969605 - 12/09/16 03:35 PM Re: River closures [Re: redlodge]
Fullhouse Offline
Fry

My bad I guess . I was not aware that it was only for two years that they were not allowed to plant winter run fish .
From what I have read my understanding was that it applied until they figured out another source of eggs besides the chambers creek hatchery fish (which was the origin of most all the early fish ) and that the only reason that they ever started planting with the chambers creek fish was because of the timing of the return, which was earlier than most of the natives. Allowing an early sport season with out direct impacts to the bulk of the protected fish which return later in the season.
But then what do I know ? I'm just an upriver guy trying to figure out when or if its ever going to get any better . I live on and fish the Skagit but figure what ever applies to the Stilly this year is what's in my future soon.

#969618 - 12/10/16 12:25 AM Re: River closures [Re: redlodge]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
what i don't understand is how WDFW knows they are in for low escapement year after year, and yet still write seasons in by default in the regs. then, they shut the rivers down when the fish should start showing up. they did this with the nisqually, citing that the return is forecast to be low.

kind of sleazy, if they knew this from the beginning, they should have never had seasons set. better to have an emergency opener than an emergency closure in my opinion. the more cynical side of me says they do this to keep people buying licenses every year(especially you poor saps that live in the north sound).

#969620 - 12/10/16 05:16 AM Re: River closures [Re: redlodge]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
It is a lot easier to have an emergency closure in a case like this, and keep the season on the books, than it is to close it in the books, and have an emergency opener when the time is right.

In this case, even though everyone should know by now that there won't be an opener this winter there, they could have shared this as an emergency rule a month ago, or six months ago.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#969622 - 12/10/16 07:30 AM Re: River closures [Re: redlodge]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
And ER is only good for 90 days. They could have warned folks six months ago (or 3 years ago after not releasing smolts) but that longer timeline is of a permanent (regular) reg.

#969670 - 12/11/16 07:45 PM Re: River closures [Re: Fullhouse]
LocalTalent Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: Fullhouse
Not sure what they expect . if you don't plant them but continue to net the crap out of them for a couple seasons that is going to be the result . could this whole thing boil down to the fact that the result of the WFC law suit that dosnt allow for planting of early run steelhead is that they are running out of fish and to avoid the tribes from suing the state over not getting their their half is to shut it down to sportfishers saving what ever is left for the tribes ?

Please tell us how many net days the tribes have had in recent years on the Stilly and Snohomish systems in recent years for steelhead.

#969672 - 12/11/16 08:50 PM Re: River closures [Re: redlodge]
Yakutat Jack Offline
Juvenile at Sea

WDFW also confirms 74,000 smolts planted in Tokul/Snoqualmie this year. So guess about 700 something expected to return next year.
74,000 is about half of what they historically plant annually (except for 0 plants last year and the 26,000 escapees in 2014).

Wonder if the plan is to placate WFC etc. by planting a severely reduced number which also serves as an attempt to throw a bone to sportfishers? However, this lesser release will result in a low return and thus a short season or early closure...and then the tribes can get an exclusive shot at all of what does return to appease them (?)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 192 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |