Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#969448 - 12/06/16 10:08 PM cabover camper and launching boats
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
I'm looking into buying a truck and complimenting with a cabover camper. I'd also like to be able to tow and launch my raft, maybe a sled in the future.

The more consideration I give this the more I think it's potentially not very feasible. Places I fish, OP/Grays harbor, Kalama primarily. I know this setup will limit certain launch options.

Hoping for some insight into this endeavor from people that have already made the mistakes so I don't have to.

Edited by thaxor (12/06/16 10:09 PM)

#969449 - 12/06/16 10:10 PM Re: cabover camper and launching boats [Re: thaxor]
larryb Offline
The Rainman

Loc: elma washington
i have seen guys put a hitch on the front bumper to launch with rigs like that

#969453 - 12/07/16 06:36 AM Re: cabover camper and launching boats [Re: thaxor]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: thaxor
I'm looking into buying a truck and complimenting with a cabover camper. I'd also like to be able to tow and launch my raft, maybe a sled in the future.

The more consideration I give this the more I think it's potentially not very feasible. Places I fish, OP/Grays harbor, Kalama primarily. I know this setup will limit certain launch options.

Hoping for some insight into this endeavor from people that have already made the mistakes so I don't have to.

Had that option for a number of years; 10 foot camper and drift boat. You know the reality - that camper will limit your ability to launch (easily) at some locations and it is all about trade offs. We used the camper as a family RV but if it had just been for no more than two guys fishing I would certainly stay with an 8 foot length to avoid the drop at the back end and need for an extended bumper to tow and be sure to check truck gross vehicle weight limitations.

Sure nice to have a warm, dry place and hot food when and where you want them.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#969456 - 12/07/16 07:22 AM Re: cabover camper and launching boats [Re: thaxor]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Loc: around
I've had 3 truck campers, first was regular 8.5 foot camper. Found out real quick that I couldn't get in to alot drift boat launches and Shuttle drivers were scared to drive it when icy at all. Sold that and bought a low profile popular camper with removable Jacks. It worked great for drift boat launches and going off road anything. Downfall to that camper is u have to put the top up and down everyday. No big dea til u are launching at crazy hours in the morning and get sick of the extra time and effort it takes when your that tired. Sold that one and went back to a regular truck camper as I'm don't use my drift boat near as much as my sled and I have yet to find a launch I couldn't use with camper and sled. Make sure you have a daily driver also so u don't have to take the camper off often. Otherwise you won't use it

#969467 - 12/07/16 09:24 AM Re: cabover camper and launching boats [Re: thaxor]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: thaxor
I know this setup will limit certain launch options.

Just eliminate, what you think might be a problem launch. There is nothing worse than to get to a boat launch and see a person trying to launch and not able to get the job done.

I like all the above answers......front hitch is a good one, for sure you can see soooo much better, with this setup.

Good luck .........

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#969473 - 12/07/16 12:00 PM Re: cabover camper and launching boats [Re: deerlick]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: deerlick
I've had 3 truck campers, first was regular 8.5 foot camper. Found out real quick that I couldn't get in to alot drift boat launches and Shuttle drivers were scared to drive it when icy at all. Sold that and bought a low profile popular camper with removable Jacks. It worked great for drift boat launches and going off road anything. Downfall to that camper is u have to put the top up and down everyday. No big dea til u are launching at crazy hours in the morning and get sick of the extra time and effort it takes when your that tired. Sold that one and went back to a regular truck camper as I'm don't use my drift boat near as much as my sled and I have yet to find a launch I couldn't use with camper and sled. Make sure you have a daily driver also so u don't have to take the camper off often. Otherwise you won't use it

Was the truck a full size 8' bed? Any idea who the manufacturer of your pop-up was?

#969480 - 12/07/16 02:02 PM Re: cabover camper and launching boats [Re: thaxor]
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Loc: around
yes 8' truck bed. its not a truck if its shorter, imo, and definetly wouldn't want a shortbox with a camper. my pop up was a jayco sportster but they harder to find. look into palomino campers

#969484 - 12/07/16 03:36 PM Re: cabover camper and launching boats [Re: thaxor]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

I currently have and use for towing an 01 Dodge Quad Cab Diesel 4x4 with a 10' camper on. Have and tow both, a drift boat and 21' No River Seahawk. The only limitations for drift boat launches are overhead obstructions or super rough access. That being said it's not a Toyota p/u for turning radius, so limitations exist. The No River obviously only gets launched on slab launches. Years of backing experience using mirrors only is a must for both, and can still be a challenge. It's not a small setup and larger truck driving experience helps. Most buy the super hitch style extension to get the receiver/ball beyond the camper bumper. I have an 18" extension purchased from Torklift in Kent. They also make the "Superhitch". I modified/reinforced the 18" extension with side chain turnbuckles and it works great on the No River. It weighs 5000#. I did move the trlr axles forward a foot to take some tongue weight off. On Forks DB trips, I fortunately have a buddy that lives there for a base camp. I generally take the camper off to prevent limitations there. Fishing aside, my family of 4 have had many great camping trips all over the NW and West Coast. Have had this setup for 15yrs and used the [Bleeeeep!] out of it. Wouldn't have done it any other way.

#969624 - 12/10/16 10:17 AM Re: cabover camper and launching boats [Re: thaxor]
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
I had an 11' extended cab over camper for several years and used in conjunction with both drift oats and my jet boat. I added airbags to the F250, for weight which were excellent and a four foot stinger for the hitch.
The only issue I ever had was height, with tree branches limiting access to some launches, especially over around Forks, and other coastal rivers.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |