Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#969590 - 12/09/16 10:31 AM The Coastal Caucus and Gillnet Reform
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The State Legislature sent a letter to WDFW specifically endorsing the already agreed upon gillnet reform on the Columbia River.

Noticeably absent are the signatures of the Coastal Caucus, those reps who live in the 19th Legislative District, the area of the lower Columbia that stretches from Longview to Ilwaco.

If you are a sportsman who lives in that district I encourage you to contact your representatives and ask them these questions:

1. Where do you stand on the full implementation of the gillnet reform measures agreed to over the past few years on the Columbia River?

2. Do you recognize that sportfishing in your district is a much larger component of the economic well-being of your district than is the commercial sector, and benefits many more people?

3. What is your stance on another increase in recreational license fees to sportfish in the Columbia River in relation to the implementation of the agreed upon gillnet reforms and the relative economic benefits of sportfishing in your district?

http://tidalexchange.com/2016/12/09/legislators-wdfw-keep-gillnet-promises/

I know that those representatives also represent the lower Columbia gillnet fleet, so no need to tell me that. That in no way changes any of the questions or concerns about the above issues.

It's ok if they represent those folks, too...but make sure that they know that you know that they are doing it to the detriment of the economic well being of their district, to the detriment of the resource, and to the detriment of you, the sportfisherman, who lives and votes in that district.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#969591 - 12/09/16 10:41 AM Re: The Coastal Caucus and Gillnet Reform [Re: Todd]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

On that page, besides finding links to the members of the Coastal Caucus so you can share your views with them (and you do not have to live in their district to do so, it just is more impactful if you are actually one of their constituents...that being said, I fish there a lot and spend a LOT of money with their constituents, and it's not gillnet dollars I am spending)...you will also be able to find all the legislators who did sign the letter telling WDFW that they fully support fully implementing the agreed upon gillnet reforms.

Please find if your own legislators did or did not sign the letter, and send them a note either thanking them or asking them the same questions above that the Coastal Caucus needs to hear.

Fish on...

Todd

#969592 - 12/09/16 11:17 AM Re: The Coastal Caucus and Gillnet Reform [Re: Todd]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Of my three reps, two signed the letters, and one did not. The one who did not is Rep. Tina Orwall, and this is the email I sent her today:

Rep. Orwall, I live in your district and am a member of the sportfishing industry. I also voted for you, and congratulations on your re-election!

Of my three representatives, you are the only one whose name I do not see on this letter:

http://centralpt.com/upload/560/Advocacy/19952_201612-07HouseLetter.pdf

Rep. Gregerson signed it, and Sen. Keiser signed the Senate version of the exact same letter.

I hope it was an oversight on your part, but I would like to know why you did not sign the letter, and if you would like to have my perspective on the issues involved, or need more information to make an informed opinion, I would be happy to provide you with whatever you may need.

Thank you so much for your time, it is very appreciated!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family,

Todd Ripley

Fish on...

Todd

#969610 - 12/09/16 05:00 PM Re: The Coastal Caucus and Gillnet Reform [Re: Todd]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Good stuff, Todd. I'll follow your lead and contact my reps and sen.

Question for any in the know: What happens if WA and OR go different directions? Can decisions to allow gillnetting in the Columbia be made unilaterally, by either state? Would netting be restricted to the OR side if WA went ahead with reforms, or would OR's no vote nullify everything?

#969617 - 12/09/16 11:26 PM Re: The Coastal Caucus and Gillnet Reform [Re: Todd]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

I was shocked to receive an email response from Rep. Mike Sells of the 38th district several weeks back stating that he had signed the letter, considering that he and Rep. June Robinson usually follow the district ring leader Sen. McCoy on these type of issues by distancing themselves as far away as possible. ( Similar to the coastal caucus situation with ring leader Chair Blake I would imagine.)

Rep. Mike Sells got a thank you note and Sen. McCoy and Rep Robinson received this:

I noticed that your name was absent from the letter sent by legislative members to our state Fish and Wildlife department and state F&W commission regarding the bi-state Columbia River fishery reform plan.

According to the state 2015-16 fishing rules pamphlet, there are close to 1.5 million state fish licenses sold annually and rising, and I have learned while talking to staff at WDFW that there is a high percentage of license holders from Snohomish County that trickle down to being your district constituents. Combining this with Everett having the second largest marina on the entire US west coast, hopefully both of these segments of the recreational industry can count on being represented by you on similar issues in the future.

My New Year’s resolution is to try to keep you up to speed on these issues since these are important to a large demographic portion of your district and economic well being of the state.

Please call or email me anytime with questions and looking forward to being invited to our 38th district town meeting tele-conference again this year.

Happy Holidays!

LB
xxx-xxx-xxxx

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#969639 - 12/10/16 08:16 PM Re: The Coastal Caucus and Gillnet Reform [Re: Todd]
Soft bite Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Central Park
FF02, I am not in the know but at the commission meeting today Jim Scott's presentation on the Columbia River Basin Salmon Management Policy C-3620 contained on page 9 some language relating to orderly fisheries.

One bullet says "Congressionally-ratified interstate agreement"

"All laws and regulations... over which the States of Oregon and Washington have concurrent jurisdiction, or any other waters within either of said States, which would affect said concurrent jurisdiction, shall be made, changed, altered, and amended in whole or in part, only with the mutual consent and approbation of both States."

This may be why the room was full of red hats.

#969640 - 12/10/16 09:22 PM Re: The Coastal Caucus and Gillnet Reform [Re: Todd]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Indeed!

Thanks again for the ride, Soft Bite!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#969641 - 12/10/16 10:46 PM Re: The Coastal Caucus and Gillnet Reform [Re: Todd]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

So did the F&W Commission make a decision at the meeting today?

Fish on...

Todd

#969643 - 12/10/16 11:54 PM Re: The Coastal Caucus and Gillnet Reform [Re: Todd]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

No decision today.

It'll happen at the January meeting... with at least one more option to consider

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#969644 - 12/11/16 06:14 AM Re: The Coastal Caucus and Gillnet Reform [Re: Todd]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Thanks, Doc.

Fish on...

Todd

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1030 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645362 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |