Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#969846 - 12/15/16 02:02 PM lost a month
onthewater Offline
Fry

Anybody know why we lost a month of salmon retention on the satsop this year?

Thanks

"Hope I die before I get old" - Pete Townshend, The Who, Musician/Singer/Songwriter and Spokesperson of a generation.

#969857 - 12/15/16 06:57 PM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: onthewater
Anybody know why we lost a month of salmon retention on the satsop this year?

Thanks

Not sure I agree....Page 37...Salmon Sept. 16 - Dec 31, unless you are wondering why the season didn't continue until January 31.

NOF was messed up last year....normally the last meeting was in Olympia, didn't happen last year....some things just slipped past those that go to the meetings.

Closing dates, a year ago, for most of the GH rivers was January 31, some how things got changed, time lines were short....needed to get Washington Sport Fishing Rules published.

There was a major mess up in the "jack fishing rules".....won't happen again !!!!!!!

Edited by DrifterWA (12/15/16 06:58 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#969860 - 12/15/16 09:29 PM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Sh!t, lost a month? I'm sitting here wondering if we'll have a 2017 fishery.
I want to be a fisherman.

#969861 - 12/15/16 09:29 PM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
IN Washington.....
I want to be a fisherman.

#969863 - 12/15/16 10:36 PM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
onthewater Offline
Fry

Question was why in years past we could retain through the end of January, while this year only through December? I couldn't find any other GH rivers traditionally open to salmon retention through January that underwent this change. Thought it might be a typo or some sort of give/take deal with the tribe which I wasn't privy to.
Thought somebody here might have an answer. It's only a month but without an obvious reason it just left me scratching my head. I'll make a phone call.

"Hope I die before I get old" - Pete Townshend, The Who, Musician/Singer/Songwriter and Spokesperson of a generation.

#969872 - 12/16/16 07:21 AM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
This last year staff for whatever the reason did not do the review of the Rec Regs with the Advisers. Prior the Rec Advisers would set down with staff and go stream by stream look the Regs over and adj anything messed up. As I said staff chose not to so you get what you got. No way in GH that staff knows the basin & the fishers to get the job done going solo.

#969874 - 12/16/16 07:36 AM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
One of my bosses referred to a particularly inept person as being able to "Screw up a wet dream". That skill apparently remains.

#969905 - 12/16/16 02:49 PM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
onthewater Offline
Fry

I certainly hope Rivrguy and Carcassman are incorrect but I would not be surprised if it were the case this year. We'll consider it a typo then and fish on.....for steelhead of course!

Thanks for the input.

#969927 - 12/17/16 05:55 AM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I lost a year.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#969929 - 12/17/16 08:55 AM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
I certainly hope Rivrguy and Carcassman are incorrect but I would not be surprised if it were the case this year. We'll consider it a typo then and fish on.....for steelhead of course!

Thanks for the input.

What the heck, 12/31.....give it heck until then......The river is "hatchery Coho only".

Hatchery steelhead....can't be many steelhead or Coho around....QIN netting is minimal, tells me something...

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#969931 - 12/17/16 10:12 AM Re: lost a month [Re: DrifterWA]
onthewater Offline
Fry

Quote:
[/quote]Hatchery steelhead....can't be many steelhead or Coho around....QIN netting is minimal, tells me something...[quote]

That's right because there's no fish around anyway!

Lost opportunity and precedent setting behavior based on mistakes/ignorance is what is being brought to light here.

#969993 - 12/19/16 02:15 PM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Question was why in years past we could retain through the end of January, while this year only through December? I couldn't find any other GH rivers traditionally open to salmon retention through January that underwent this change. Thought it might be a typo or some sort of give/take deal with the tribe which I wasn't privy to.
Thought somebody here might have an answer. It's only a month but without an obvious reason it just left me scratching my head. I'll make a phone call.

Because the Indians have a lot of control and very little intelligence. Oh yeah, I forgot they're greedy and they hate our guts even though we had nothing to do with the past and give them millions of dollars.

#970049 - 12/20/16 11:00 AM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
onthewater Offline
Fry

Attached is the letter I sent to WDFW yesterday for those that might be interested. I'll post the WDFW response if I get one.

And to gooybob: I have no evidence that this is a tribal based action. I'm just throwing it out there as another possible cause. I personally think it was an oversight/typo by those writing the regs., but the issue is stuck in my craw now and I have to at least attempt to get a response from those who make the rules.

Good morning and to whom it may concern,

I am a Thurston county based river fisher who enjoys frequenting the east fork Satsop for salmon and steelhead. I particularly enjoy being on the river this time of year, not only for the beauty and solitude but also for the chance at catching some bright, late returning coho or early winter steelhead. So I was surprised and disappointed to see the season length on the Satsop shortened by a month this year(January 31 became December 31).
Looking back several years I see that January 31 has been the traditional end of the salmon retention season for this river. Why the change?

I was hoping your office could provide an explanation for this shortening of the season.

I look forward to hearing back and thank you for the work you do.

Kindest regards,

#970069 - 12/20/16 02:46 PM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
River Nutrients

It can't be an oversight. WDFW has their best minds working on the regulations with the intent of squeezing every last fish legally available to the angler.

We need to trust that they always have river anglers best interests at heart.

#970094 - 12/20/16 09:11 PM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
onthewater Offline
Fry

I'm sensing your sarcasm Carcassman, because you're laying it on pretty thick. I'm also laughing inside(tears of a clown?) because I think your sentiment is probably right on.

But now I REALLY can't wait to hear what the WDFW response to my query is. IF I get one.........

At this point a typo/clerical error would be the best case scenario. However looking at QIN net schedule through the end of the year I think I may have answered my own question.

An education can be a dangerous thing.

#970096 - 12/20/16 09:55 PM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
River Nutrients

I suspect that conservation for coho and the absence of steelhead probably was the actual driver. They (WDFW) have been hit hard over the lack of concern about any sort of escapement goal achievement.

Rivrguy hit that inter-Agency nail squarely on the head. Old WDF used to define "barren water" as a stream without salmon. Hence such gifts to resident fish as Sunset and Tumwater falls fishways. WDG, as was so eloquently stated at a State/Tribal meeting "I am only concerned about steelhead". This attitude also gave us the screens on lake outlets that blocked off some of best coho reading habitat in the state. But it kept the OD trout in the lake!

#970097 - 12/20/16 10:04 PM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
onthewater Offline
Fry

But by the numbers it looks like they have already reached escapement. Conservation is one thing, but when you're catching nothing but hatchery fish, what gives?

#970098 - 12/20/16 10:05 PM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
onthewater Offline
Fry

And let's not forget, the rec season has been hit pretty hard as well. In addition to paying more for the priveledge.

#970119 - 12/21/16 11:35 AM Re: lost a month [Re: onthewater]
River Nutrients

If this was "an accident" that just got missed and ER can (or formerly used to be) easy to do. Less that one full work day from start to finish.

If there was a biological reason then there will be a quick response to inquiries.

If it was social/political decision it may take longer to get explained.

#970385 - 12/26/16 07:30 PM Re: lost a month [Re: Carcassman]
onthewater Offline
Fry

Received a response from WDFW regarding my original question. In a nutshell, here's what I got.

Response was quick(would be happy to post verbatim here if there's any interest), which was appreciated. Reason given was low preseason coho return forecasts resulting in shortened season and reduced bag limits.

Poor reasoning IMO given the fact that other rivers in the Chehalis basin were not shortened(talking Hump and Chehalis), and Satsop's bag limit had been reduced already. Not to mention the fact that the QIN will be gillnetting in the basin at least through the first week of the year with the potential for additional dates. I see very little benefit to shortening a season by 30 days given these factors.

I've concluded that this decision was either politically motivated (worst case), or simply a clerical error which they are trying to sell as science based. Either way it annoys me and I let them know it. I'm hoping that this will help prevent such ill informed and short sighted decisions from becoming policy in the future.

Thanks for hearing me out on this issue and don't hesitate to let them know about it if you agree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |