Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#970192 - 12/22/16 02:23 PM Tribal Logic
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Am I the only one that thinks the tribes will continue to harvest everything to extinction only to force our government to buy back their harvesting rights one place at a time for excessive prices???????

#970195 - 12/22/16 02:37 PM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Back in the second Supreme Court review of Boldt the court held that the Tribes were entitled to 50% of the harvestable or a moderate living, whichever was LESS.

State stakeholders implored at least WDF to take this to court to determine what was meant by "moderate living" as they felt that the harvests then met that standard. The State would not take them to court.

One might conclude that the State felt Tribal catch at that time was not up to the moderate living standard so I can see a suit that says "you (state) are trying to destroy our fishing economy as you even admitted that in the best years it wasn't a moderate living and now you've made it worse".

#970197 - 12/22/16 03:26 PM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Another perspective might be that individual tribes would be determined to actually have exceeded a moderate income (as compared to their non-tribal neighbors) and see a reduction or elimination of those rights. At the least it would be interesting to actually have a court mandated window into tribal finances.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#970200 - 12/22/16 03:50 PM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
River Nutrients

It might. But since the state would not pursue it one might assume that even the wealthiest fishermen were not making a moderate living.

#970227 - 12/23/16 08:55 AM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Here is a scenario.

They net the Clearwater.
The fish are crappy to eat.
The market for them sucks.
Regardless of this and the fact the river is full of native fish they rape it anyway.

The only way to stop the destruction of yet another run would be for the tribe to sell their rights back to the government.

Sounds extremely profitable to me.

#970230 - 12/23/16 09:53 AM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
paguy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

What about the Indians fishing the salt, They make far more than most people. Between the gooey duck,urchin,crabing,halibut,bottom fish and salmon they are making serious coin.

#970232 - 12/23/16 10:36 AM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Buying tribal rights, even for an absurd amount, would be a great purchase. The long term benefit would outway any dollar amount paid. The problem, at least around here, is that the tribes aren't willing to do it.

#970234 - 12/23/16 10:43 AM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
I think a buy back is a great solution! Actually, the Feds might even allocate some monies. But it would have to be across the board, Tribal not individual.

The State did have a buy back program in the past for non-tribal commercials. But after spending A LOT of money to buy back licenses. The lobbyist got involved and the state not only stopped, they actually sold more licenses then they bought back and for less money!

The entire system needs a MAJOR OVERHAUL!

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#970313 - 12/24/16 07:22 AM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
The commercial buyback was a joke as the allotment of fish stayed the eame.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#970314 - 12/24/16 08:11 AM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
River Nutrients

They buyback was, as I recall, intended to keep the Cowboy fleet profitable. There were way too many boats competing for the fish. The idea was that fewer boats would be left, catch would stay the same, but they would individually be more profitable.

What the tribes and sporties don't seem to really understand is that they numbers are growing. In some parts of BC, the First Nations represent the fast growing segment of the population. Regardless of source (wild or hatchery) there is an upper limit to what can be killed. Send out more people, catch fewer.

The Cowboy commercial fleet is capped; it can only shrink as licenses are retired. Of the 3 groups, it is the one with the most sustainable business model.

#970317 - 12/24/16 08:36 AM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Don't kid yourself. If a buyout were to occur today, you can bet they would claim it back in the future. With the Courts, Congress, and most of the public on their side it would happen.

#970320 - 12/24/16 09:15 AM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: RUNnGUN]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
Don't kid yourself. If a buyout were to occur today, you can bet they would claim it back in the future. With the Courts, Congress, and most of the public on their side it would happen.

I've chewed on this "Public perception" piece for some time. Like when the netting was going on inside the fish ladder at the locks and tourists were taking pictures of the Nobel Native fishing as he has for thousands of years!

In this day of everybody having a camera, and multi-media why can't we start a "Here's the Real Deal" campaign? I know someone here has the talent to create a website, and with thousands of guys in the field to take and post pictures and stories there would be lots of things the "Public" can take a look at. The abandoned nets, the dumped fish, heck, might even get a shot of some native fish dead in nets! We have Facebook, Instagram, twitter (Hell it works in politics). Why not???

The tribes always run back to this "Champions of Conservation" anytime they start the BS. It's time we tell the real story.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#970325 - 12/24/16 12:57 PM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: Carcassman]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Originally Posted By: Carcassman

What the tribes and sporties don't seem to really understand is that they numbers are growing. In some parts of BC, the First Nations represent the fast growing segment of the population. Regardless of source (wild or hatchery) there is an upper limit to what can be killed.

This fact is all too true and troublesome. The tribal commercial fleets are exploding with no cap on the number of "licenses" available. Available days are getting shorter, and success in monitoring is getting worse (if that's even possible). The Tulalip tribe for instance is discussing a marina expansion needed to accomadate the rapidly growing fleet. It's hard to believe MORE commercial rights would be pouring in to a dwindling resource but the proof is in the puddin. Things are at a tipping point from almost every perspective you view.
I want to be a fisherman.

#970328 - 12/24/16 03:06 PM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
River Nutrients

In some ways the situation in BC is worse because most of the rights there are for subsistence. So, each and every member is "entitled" to fish for subsistence. Here, not every member may wish to fish.

#970329 - 12/24/16 03:53 PM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Subsistence is a non issue. If the tribal fisheries were subsistence only we wouldn't even be having this conversation because none of them would even be fishing...
I want to be a fisherman.

#970350 - 12/25/16 12:24 PM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: GodLovesUgly
Originally Posted By: Carcassman

What the tribes and sporties don't seem to really understand is that they numbers are growing. In some parts of BC, the First Nations represent the fast growing segment of the population. Regardless of source (wild or hatchery) there is an upper limit to what can be killed.

This fact is all too true and troublesome. The tribal commercial fleets are exploding with no cap on the number of "licenses" available. Available days are getting shorter, and success in monitoring is getting worse (if that's even possible). The Tulalip tribe for instance is discussing a marina expansion needed to accomadate the rapidly growing fleet. It's hard to believe MORE commercial rights would be pouring in to a dwindling resource but the proof is in the puddin. Things are at a tipping point from almost every perspective you view.

As a friend of a powerful tribal leader in the PNW, I feel it is worth mentioning that tribes have been aware of this problem for decades. Tribal elders have been trying to teach the youth that commercial fishing is not a good living for a long time.

With all the Indian generalizations I read online, I feel it is important to remember that this is still tragedy of the masses just like with us non tribes. Those within the tribes trying to make change often do so at their own peril.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#970380 - 12/26/16 06:15 PM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
Jason Breeezy, I'm calling BS on that. So the elders say, "Do as I say, Not as I do" and the youth believe that, as the elders launch their crab boat to get 1000 crab, or string nets to sell to out-of-state interests while their sacred Orcas starve? Maybe the legendary totem poles should have skinny orcas on them to show the results of their fishing practices ("their"= ANY Puget nets, Cowboys included)
Gimme a break.

#970396 - 12/27/16 07:42 AM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Man's greed wont turn off.

The only way to have change is to have the runs become sooo bleak that it is no longer profitable to rape the resource or to outlaw raping the resource.

The second option only works if enforcement is adequate.

#970400 - 12/27/16 09:53 AM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
Man's greed wont turn off.

The only way to have change is to have the runs become sooo bleak that it is no longer profitable to rape the resource or to outlaw raping the resource.

The second option only works if enforcement is adequate.

It would be very interesting if we could find out, for both treaty and non-treaty commercials exactly how many are REALLY relying on fishing as a means of lively hood as opposed to a supplemental income?

Is there any way possible?

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#970404 - 12/27/16 11:16 AM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
River Nutrients

We had this argument occasionally at work. The fish don't give a flying **ck how they die at the hands of man. Dams, development, nets, hooks; they end up dead.

We (the Royal We) are killing too many and it needs to stop. As long as we keep killing them, the runs degrade.

#970502 - 12/28/16 08:01 PM Re: Tribal Logic [Re: ned]
LocalTalent Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: ned
as the elders launch their crab boat to get 1000 crab

You must have seen Port Susan recently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jose, sky
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 982 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |