Three Rivers Marine

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#689544 - 06/19/11 03:25 AM Re: CHROME to the bone.... * [Re: eyeFISH]
Man of logic Offline
Spawner

Loc: the moon
Very nice. We must have a doctor on our hands, mr. mendel.

#689545 - 06/19/11 03:53 AM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

chi·me·ra also chi·mae·ra (k-mīr, k-)
n.
a. An organism, organ, or part consisting of two or more tissues of different genetic composition, produced as a result of organ transplant, grafting, or genetic engineering.

Must be a mad doctor out there doing weird science on some of the salmon I catch. smile

#690547 - 06/23/11 11:38 PM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: Keta]
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
44 and 42 lbs. white kings hit the scales here today, getting to be about that time that the big boys show up! :-)

#690570 - 06/24/11 01:14 AM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: AkKings]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Saw another fish with similar sumo wrestler build in an SSJ ad for Queen Charlotte Lodge.... fatty for sure. Almost certainly another Skeena fish, eh?

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#690709 - 06/25/11 12:41 AM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Spoke to the lead chinook biologist for Northern BC today. He made a deal with the QCL to start sampling every king over 40 and he would run the DNA. Turns out over 70% of those giant fish come from two places.... Kalum and Wannock, most of them from Kalum.

Went to the PSC website to research exploitation on the Kalum fish.

Total exploitation in the database is about 39% and escapement sits at about 61% averaged over the past 10 years. In contrast, WA coast indicator stock (Queets) is just the reverse.... half again as much exploitation at 60% with escapement at about 40%.

About 1/2 of the harvested Kalum fish are taken in SE-AK (49 %) the other half is taken in BC (51 %). The cumulative comm/rec split is also pretty close to 50:50.... 51.5 % comm versus 48.5 % rec.

What I found interesting is that no interceptons north/west of SE-AK were accounted for. NONE! It's obvious these fish are low holed in the Bering Sea, Kodiak. and the Gulf of AK.... but there's apparently no accounting for that in the PSC documents.

I have posed the question "WHY" to the chinook bio from BC. Sure seems like a HUGE oversight in the database.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#690809 - 06/26/11 10:56 AM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: ]
GCG Offline
Fry

Loc: Juneau, Alaska
white kings-best salmon I've ever had. Used to get them from a commercial troller when I spent a winter in Wrangell. Cooked 'em on a George Foreman Grill with a litle bit of fish rub. Tres Manifique!

gcg

#970446 - 12/27/16 09:16 PM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
OK... I have the answer to the mystery question....

"Whose giant white kings are getting low-holed in Kodiak?"

I finally sent the DNA off for analysis on Monday (yeah, like 2 days ago) and I already have the answer! Friends in low places I guess?

Here's the response....

You were in luck – we were running some in-season samples today so I got the genotype! I assigned it to the GAPs Chinook baseline and it had a high likelihood of assignment (99.9%) to Lower Kalum River on the Skeena, so it looks like Coastal Canada genetically.

My original thought about what river consistently produces 60, 70, 80-pound caliber chinook was one of three possible places. Kenai, Skeena, or Rivers Inlet. Fraser was thrown into the mix for its propensity to produce a lot of white kings. And we even had a bio in AK comment that he thought these were Fraser origin. But there's no real evidence to support the ability to produce GIANT white kings. Kenai was thrown out because it produces ZERO white kings and even its giant fish are NOT built like that. Rivers Inlet (Wannock River) was thrown out because John Beath (outdoor writer and former Rivers Inlet lodge operator) said their fish don't look like that.

So there you have it... we've come full circle... iron-clad proof it's a Skeena fish!

WOW.... mystery solved.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#970483 - 12/28/16 01:40 PM Re: CHROME to the bone.... [Re: eyeFISH]
Vnam68 Offline
Alevin

My relatives were commercial fisherman (trollers) many years ago. They use to fish the Whites inside the bar at Westport. I remember them saying they would get less per pound for them. They would also fish for fun on the Chehalis (plunk) and they would catch some huge kings. I can't tell you if they were Whites or not (no pics).

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |