Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#970757 - 01/02/17 10:25 AM C&R can be work
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

Happened to see this and thought some might find it interesting. Having released a Grande ( catching it in a 5 hour battle did tear me a new hole ) you pick up things. What caught my eye here is the team work between the chair / deck hand / skipper and these guys would be great to fish with. Also another reason to love Kona which frankly is one of the greatest places on the planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISD_3xKP_FY

#970781 - 01/03/17 09:41 AM Re: C&R can be work [Re: Rivrguy]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Looks like an easy way to lose an arm.

#970805 - 01/03/17 05:01 PM Re: C&R can be work [Re: Rivrguy]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Somewhere I read that there is a technique about wrapping the line around the hand that lets one "let go" if the fish decides to run. Not something I'd be trying, though.

#970826 - 01/04/17 12:51 PM Re: C&R can be work [Re: Rivrguy]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Wonder what survival rate is on those big marlin that get C&R'd? You'd think a long fight like that has to do some bad things to a marlins blood chemistry...which ultimately kills a fish like a salmonid after a long fight.

I always heard that basically a hooked and touched 1,0000 marlin is a dead fish.

#970837 - 01/04/17 03:16 PM Re: C&R can be work [Re: The Moderator]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

I've never bought the C/R Steelhead mortality rates. I believe it's higher than advertised. How did they come up with that ratio, anyone?

- Albert Einstein.

#970839 - 01/04/17 04:33 PM Re: C&R can be work [Re: Rivrguy]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
By catching, releasing, and recovering fish. In some cases, the fish is held for (say) 24 hours. The problem is that the fish are often assumed to be alive, to have survived, because they swim away. There have been some studies that look at long-term survival (months) and the Canadians did look at survival to spawning in the wild for steelhead.

Some studies on C&R'd Atlantic Salmon, though, showed that while the fish survived and spawned they ended up producing fewer smolts. That is the big black hole in most studies; we don't look at the impact of C&R on spawning success. This is especially critical in fisheries on adult salmon and steelhead as they have very little or no time to eat and recover fitness.

#970948 - 01/06/17 05:42 AM Re: C&R can be work [Re: Rivrguy]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
As has been said on this very forum, no fish ever benefits from being caught whether it's released or not. If you can't live with the effects of your actions, find a new hobby.

"I've never bought the C/R Steelhead mortality rates."
Why?

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.543.8150&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |