THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#971024 - 01/07/17 10:48 AM Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming???
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
While I don't do much fishing in the ocean during the winter, I have tossed a line or two for perch or walked down the jetty. Does anyone have any idea why this came about or of any discussion about it? Maybe I missed it. I see no justification in the release. It just seems like they feel like doing it so they do. No reason needed.

FISHING RULE CHANGE
WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
January 6, 2017

Sport fishing for bottomfish to close through March 10 off the Washington coast

Action: Close recreational bottomfishing in Marine Areas 1-3 and Marine Area 4 (west of the Bonilla-Tatoosh line) through March 10, 2017. Reopen the coastal recreational bottomfish fishery the second Saturday in March through the third Saturday in October (March 11 through Oct. 21, 2017).
Effective date: Effective immediately
Species affected: Bottomfish
Location: Marine Areas 1 through 3 and Marine Area 4 (west of the Bonilla-Tatoosh line)
Reason for action: The Pacific Fishery Management Council adopted changes to the recreational bottomfish seasons along the Washington coast as part of its groundfish biennial management cycle for 2017-18. The recreational bottomfish season is currently open year round in coastal marine areas, although rough ocean conditions in winter results in minimal fishing effort from mid-October through mid-March.
This new rule changes the coastal recreational bottomfish season from a year round season to one open from the second Saturday in March through the third Saturday in October. It also aligns the recreational bottomfish season with the recreational lingcod season in Marine Areas 1-3, and preserves recreational fishing opportunity in months when there has been significant participation in the fishery (March-October).
Marine Area 4B, east of the Bonnilla-Tatoosh line, will remain open year round as some recreational fishing does occur in this area during the winter. This rule change is necessary to conform to federal action taken by the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS).
Additional information: Bottomfish includes Pacific cod, Pacific tomcod, Pacific hake (or whiting), walleye pollock, all species of dabs, sole and flounders (except Pacific halibut), lingcod, ratfish, sablefish, cabezon, greenling, buffalo sculpin, great sculpin, red Irish lord, brown Irish lord, Pacific staghorn sculpin, wolfeel, giant wrymouth, plainfin midshipman, all species of shark, skate, rockfish, rattail, and surfperches (all saltwater perch are surfperch) excluding shiner perch.
Information contact: Heather Reed

#971036 - 01/07/17 12:04 PM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Krijack]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Good question Krijack.

It seems rather disingenuous to acknowledge that the winter fishery sees minimal fishing effort and then say that the closure will preserve fishing opportunity months when there is significant participation. How does that pencil out?

"Better to look good than be good" comes to mind but WDFW does clearly indicate this is driven by Federal actions.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#971037 - 01/07/17 12:19 PM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Krijack]
Piper
Unregistered

I'm sure this closure doesn't have anything to do with the trawl industries effort to reestablish a rockfish market on the west coast...

West Coast Trawl Industry Anticipates Reestablishing Rockfish Market

#971046 - 01/07/17 01:36 PM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Krijack]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
"the additional fish available could provide an opportunity for the redevelopment of processing and harvesting in those areas of the coast that had been constrained by the lower ACLs for these overfished species.”

We ruined these areas by overfishing before, but now theyre recovering, so we're going to trawl them back into the fvcking ground again....

Smart with a capital S.

Edited by GodLovesUgly (01/07/17 01:36 PM)
I want to be a fisherman.

#971048 - 01/07/17 02:06 PM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Krijack]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Even if it did have to do with the trawl fishery, why include shore fisheries, such as surf perch. And do they really think that sports fisherman harvest enough fish during the winter months to make a difference. My guess is that the incidental take in one day from such a fishery would by higher than the whole take by the recreational fishery during the same time period. Overall, the rule change seems to be arbitrary.

#971052 - 01/07/17 03:09 PM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Krijack]
RICH G
Unregistered

This means that the tribes want to establish a rockfish/lingcod fishery off the washington coast, so guess what, WDFW quickly gets on its knees and unzips the fly and then bends the taxpaying fisherman over pounds them in the bunghole and then demands payment for disrespecting them....

That's exactly what this is.

#971057 - 01/07/17 03:45 PM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Krijack]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Krijack
why include shore fisheries, such as surf perch.

its a pretty stupid rule change that is for sure... the only time i fish for surf perch is march and april during clam tides...

I guess if they can justify closing bass and perch to save the salmon, they can justify closing surf perch to save the yelloweye...

#971058 - 01/07/17 03:49 PM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Krijack]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
That article also attributes the following thinking to the PFMC:

"The Council had confidence in the industry’s ability to change its gear and manage its groundfish and non-groundfish bycatch due to the trawl catch share program and fishermen’s individual accountability."

I have to wonder how the recent discussion of increasing the allowable harvest of canary rockfish from 3 MT to 50 MT ties into this while the limit on yelloweye will stay at 3 MT?

And the recent decision by WDFW to NOT implement a stakeholder submitted rule change proposal to require descender devices be aboard and ready to use when fishing for bottomfish in coastal waters?

And yet we recreational fishers are seeing the elimination of a very limited opportunity under the guise of protecting a productive Spring/Summer/Fall fishery while at the same time the commercials are pushing to get back into the rockfish business using "modified" bottom trawl gear to target upper water column species.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#971073 - 01/07/17 10:32 PM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Krijack]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
I'm seriously considering becoming a scofflaw.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#971075 - 01/08/17 08:35 AM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Krijack]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Seems to me that if the people who manage the fishery actually participated in it, then we would get better regs. Close shore-based perch fishing to protect rockfish makes sense how?

This looks a lot like "We don't want to patrol/monitor/go outside in the winter.

#971076 - 01/08/17 09:06 AM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Krijack]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
I'm surprised that you're surprised.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#971081 - 01/08/17 09:48 AM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Dan S.]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: Dan S.
I'm surprised that you're surprised.

This how I have felt for years.

THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#971082 - 01/08/17 09:50 AM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Carcassman]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Close shore-based perch fishing to protect rockfish makes sense how?

This looks a lot like "We don't want to patrol/monitor/go outside in the winter.

How much damage to the resource is the shore bound angler likely to do during December through February? Why take away the opportunity for surf or jetty fishermen to fish on days when weather conditions permit getting out. Seems like a regulation based on "no science", rather than "best science". The WDFW swamp needs to be drained...

#971091 - 01/08/17 10:12 AM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Krijack]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
It's the same as tying perch fishing in Lake WA to salmon ESA. It makes it more convenient.

#971168 - 01/08/17 07:29 PM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Krijack]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Rich,
I have a relative who is a member of a coastal tribe. He told me this summer the salmon numbers were so dismal that he was going to switch to bottom fishing. The only real question is how efficient they are and how many they end up taking. I have not had an opportunity to ask how he did, but will when I see him again. But be assured, they already are commercially targeting them.

#971181 - 01/09/17 07:51 AM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Krijack]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

This is what happens when queers are allowed, proud, and you are forced to except them.

One of the basic rules of nature is being broken.

It's just a matter of time until the ecosystems wheels fall off.

#971195 - 01/09/17 10:54 AM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Krijack]
cncfish Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: whale pass
don't you understand we are creating jobs!
making 'Mercia great again!
screw the environment we need people to work!

sorry couldn't resist....

all in all it is no longer fun to be a fishermen.

#971200 - 01/09/17 12:30 PM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: cncfish]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: cncfish

all in all it is no longer fun to be a fishermen.

isn't that the sad truth...

#971201 - 01/09/17 12:48 PM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: Krijack]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

You guys should all stop fishing.

#971406 - 01/12/17 12:05 PM Re: Now the oceans closed??? Anybody see it coming??? [Re: ]
geljockey Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: Piper
Originally Posted By: Krijack
why include shore fisheries, such as surf perch.

its a pretty stupid rule change that is for sure... the only time i fish for surf perch is march and april during clam tides...

I guess if they can justify closing bass and perch to save the salmon, they can justify closing surf perch to save the yelloweye...

Go clobber those surf perch! See below:

Fishing Rule Change
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
January 12, 2017
Clarification: This clarifies that Grays Harbor and Willapa Bay are included in a rule change that closed recreational bottomfish fishing in Washington’s ocean marine areas on Jan.6. This also clarifies that surfperch fisheries are excluded from the bottomfish closure.
Sport fishing for bottomfish to close through March 10 off the Washington coast
Action: Close recreational bottomfishing in Marine Areas 1-3 (including Marine Areas 2-1 and 2-2) and Marine Area 4 (west of the Bonilla-Tatoosh line) through March 10, 2017. Reopen the coastal recreational bottomfish fishery the second Saturday in March through the third Saturday in October (March 11 through Oct. 21, 2017). The winter closure does not include surfperch when fishing from the beach.
Effective date: Immediately
Species affected: Bottomfish
Location: Marine Areas 1 through 3, including Marine Areas 2-1 (Willapa Bay) and 2-2 (Grays Harbor), and Marine Area 4 (west of the Bonilla-Tatoosh line).
Reason for action: The Pacific Fishery Management Council adopted changes to the recreational bottomfish seasons along the Washington coast as part of its groundfish biennial management cycle for 2017-18. The recreational bottomfish season is currently open year round in coastal marine areas, although rough ocean conditions in winter results in minimal fishing effort from mid-October through mid-March.
This new rule changes the coastal recreational bottomfish season from a year round season to one open from the second Saturday in March through the third Saturday in October. It also aligns the recreational bottomfish season with the recreational lingcod season in Marine Areas 1-3, including Marine Areas 2-1 (Willapa Bay) and 2-2 (Grays Harbor), and preserves recreational fishing opportunity in months when there has been significant participation in the fishery (March-October).
Marine Area 4B, east of the Bonnilla-Tatoosh line, will remain open year round as some recreational fishing does occur in this area during the winter. This rule change is necessary to conform to federal action taken by the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS).
The winter closure does not include surfperch when fishing from the beach, which will continue to be allowed year round.
Additional information: Bottomfish includes Pacific cod, Pacific tomcod, Pacific hake (or whiting), walleye pollock, all species of dabs, sole and flounders (except Pacific halibut), lingcod, ratfish, sablefish, cabezon, greenling, buffalo sculpin, great sculpin, red Irish lord, brown Irish lord, Pacific staghorn sculpin, wolfeel, giant wrymouth, plainfin midshipman, all species of shark, skate, rockfish, rattail, and surfperches (all saltwater perch are surfperch) excluding shiner perch.
Information contact: Heather Reed, (360) 902-2487
Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license, appropriate to the fishery. Check the WDFW "Fishing in Washington" rules pamphlet for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing rules are subject to change. Check the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500, press 2 for recreational rules. For the Shellfish Rule Change hotline call (360)796-3215 or toll free 1-866-880-5431.
Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email (dolores.noyes@dfw.wa.gov). For more information, see http://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility/reasonable_request.html.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |