Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#971069 - 01/07/17 09:25 PM license frustration today
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
Wanted to take a young man I mentor fishing for Steelhead today somewhere in grays harbor. He lost his license so we set out to pick one up at Big 5.

Reprint continually brought up an "Oh deer." error screen with a picture of a deer. The girl said it was funny the first 4 times but now it just makes her mad. Waited around probably 20 minutes for them to finally give up. She was very persistent, licensing phone support system had some problems but she finally reached someone and they opened a ticket for the location after being unable to troubleshoot it over the phone...

Went to Dick's to find out the state hadn't come over to setup their machines yet.

Went to Freddys in Tumwater, waited 10-15 minutes to pay for a reprint only to not receive a catch card. I spoke to a guy in front of us who was equally frustrated as demonstrated by his choice of language.

Gave up and decided to fish lakes... realize they're all frozen. Go to harbor freight instead. Frustrating day.

#971083 - 01/08/17 09:54 AM Re: license frustration today [Re: thaxor]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Jesus

I did a similar thing last week. Took out a friend visiting for holidays. Took too long to get a temp license for him, his first fishing license ever.

Plus, We actually got checked and the warden was so prickly that my buddy pretty much doesn't want to go again. Warden was trying to make really sure I wasn't a guide because I said I was showing my friend around. He wanted to know if I was paid and all this [Bleeeeep!]. I was like, all I said was I was showing him the ropes never said guiding. But of course warden is digging hard for anything like all fishermen are criminals. The warden never considered that since this guy had a single day license maybe he should treat him nicer like a customer rather than the bad guy. He just lost a future customer for WDFW.

The last two times I was checked the warden was talking to me like I was caught doing something wrong and should be gong to jail. I never ever break the rules and continually try to get othe fishermen to do the same. It's frustrating.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#971085 - 01/08/17 10:04 AM Re: license frustration today [Re: thaxor]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

On a recent razor clam dig I had a couple truck loads of family along for the ride, and clamming, and we couldn't find a functional WDFW computer from Olympia to Aberdeen. Big 5 in Oly and Aberdeen, Monte Square, 2 Dennis Co. locations and the Walmart in Aberdeen. The walmart computer was apparently spitting a license out every twenty minutes or so. Frustrating especially considering all the other disfunctional shi.t WDFW pulls. We ended up getting a couple licenses through their website which was barely functioning. Half of us dug clams, the other half struggled with the WDFW website.

#971089 - 01/08/17 10:10 AM Re: license frustration today [Re: thaxor]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
And this is a better system/operator? Let's pay more for licenses.

#971094 - 01/08/17 10:30 AM Re: license frustration today [Re: thaxor]
Silver1 Offline
Fry

On December 28th I went to a well known sporting goods store to get a winter crab catch record. Had my license already. After 15 minutes of trying, the experienced woman helping me gave up and called WDFW support because she could not print it. After another 15 minutes on hold, support was unable to help. Support told her to tell me to crab without a record and if I was checked to tell them that I had spent almost 45 minutes trying to get a catch record printed. As it turned out the wind came up and we did not go. Was actually looking forward to a confrontation with enforcement and venting my frustration with the process. Sounds like I'm not the only one that has had trouble.

#971098 - 01/08/17 10:38 AM Re: license frustration today [Re: thaxor]
ClearCreek Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Mtn. west
I assume they had to except the lowest bidder when the licensing service was advertised for bids.

Is the service provided by a private sector company?

May not be the WDFW's fault on this one, it could be a private company that is causing the issue. A similar thing happened in Wyoming last summer when the first come/first serve licenses went on sale. The credit card company could not process the credit card transactions fast enough and it became a real mess, with the system getting shut down. Of course the Wyoming Game and Fish got the blame, when it fact, it was the private sector credit card company that was at fault.

ClearCreek

#971102 - 01/08/17 11:16 AM Re: license frustration today [Re: thaxor]
Silver1 Offline
Fry

And to add, now I don't know whether I need to report my catch or not. Does the system say I have a CRC? No CRC document number to log in with, etc. I'll have to call WDFW to get it straightened out I'm sure, or risk penalty for non reporting. Also, "confrontation with enforcement" may be a bit strong, it may have went fine if they are aware that the system is broken and have seen it in the field before. Wonder how much missed opportunity there has been with people not willing to take the risk?

#971118 - 01/08/17 12:24 PM Re: license frustration today [Re: thaxor]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
WDFW actually recommended that you crab without a CRC and tell Enforcement that you had tried to get one but the system wouldn't let you? That seems like really bad advice. And, some really good arguments for court.

#971152 - 01/08/17 03:04 PM Re: license frustration today [Re: thaxor]
Silver1 Offline
Fry

Not sure if WDFW does the support for the new system but, yes. Whomever was on the other end of the phone recommended I go ahead with my plans. I had a license to crab and probably a winter CRC in the system but no hard copy. Their issue, not mine was the reasoning. Like I said, an encounter with enforcement may have been interesting.

#971163 - 01/08/17 05:14 PM Re: license frustration today [Re: thaxor]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
The entire state is seeing efforts to go to COTS (custom off the shelf) software. A directive that I believe started in the governors office. DOL is in the process of rolling out their new system which was purchased from FAST enterprises, replaces vehicle licensing, drivers licensing, and Prorate fuel tax (~8 year plan).

Here's hoping those implementations go better than this WDFW one. I guess next time we'll buy online.

#971185 - 01/09/17 08:07 AM Re: license frustration today [Re: thaxor]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

This seals it. Not buying a 2017-18 license. If I get checked, I'll just tell them I have been trying for days to get my license, but the systems haven't been working right. (Just barely tongue in cheek.)

Go ahead with your plans and blame the system is NOT healthy advice for WDFW employees (or any contract employees) to be giving, especially with huge increases on license fees looming. How many will simply opt to take their chances if they know there aren't likely to be real consequences?

#971218 - 01/09/17 02:59 PM Re: license frustration today [Re: thaxor]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
I'm not sure my catch has ever been checked on the boat.... I have had my license checked maybe a scant few times, but I'm not sure anyone ever asked to look in my holds.
I want to be a fisherman.

#971307 - 01/10/17 07:06 PM Re: license frustration today [Re: thaxor]
RowVsWade Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Island Time
Looking forward to not having to deal with their (WDFW) chit show this year.

I already got my annual fishing and hunting license......in Alaska.

Fuuck the WDFW!

If you don't like our prices bring your wife down and we'll dicker.

#971309 - 01/10/17 07:23 PM Re: license frustration today [Re: RowVsWade]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: RowVsWade

Fuuck the WDFW!

I like it.......send a copy to the Director and all the other management people !!!!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#971396 - 01/12/17 10:10 AM Re: license frustration today [Re: thaxor]
Misguided Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SWWA
Does a WDFW officer have the authority to check for PFD's on a boat?

2nd Generation Army Veteran and Damn Proud of it.

Misguided was the name of my 1st drift boat, I am not to be associated with LAWLESSNESS!!!!

#971398 - 01/12/17 10:19 AM Re: license frustration today [Re: Misguided]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: Misguided
Does a WDFW officer have the authority to check for PFD's on a boat?

Yep, and many other things also....

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#971399 - 01/12/17 10:24 AM Re: license frustration today [Re: thaxor]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
They have the same authority as any police. They can check registration, licensing (Drivers, boat card), safety gear, etc. They also have the authority to arrest, and seize.
I want to be a fisherman.

#971401 - 01/12/17 10:29 AM Re: license frustration today [Re: thaxor]
Misguided Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks Drifter.
I was anchored by Ramies Island the other day when a Gamie followed some plunkers in & was checking their license. They were on the up & up so he felt compelled to ask if I had PFD's on my boat......I know he wanted to check my license but he did not ask me to come ashore (which I would have told him to meet me at the ramp after I was done fishing)...

Misguided was the name of my 1st drift boat, I am not to be associated with LAWLESSNESS!!!!

#971402 - 01/12/17 10:35 AM Re: license frustration today [Re: RowVsWade]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: RowVsWade

Fuuck the WDFW!

Fuuuck Alaska (Ok, WDFW, too) is my mantra. The fishing's only better there because they steal our fish.

Good for you in that you'll enjoy better fishing, but I hope you haven't lost sight of how much ransom you're paying to take back opportunity that has been stolen from you, nor the fact that you'll be stealing from the rest of us from now on.

Instead of flocking to Alaska and BC, we should be boycotting them... unless it's true that all we care about is ourselves and how many fish we can catch... wait... is that true?

#971403 - 01/12/17 10:45 AM Re: license frustration today [Re: thaxor]
Misguided Offline
Returning Adult

No FF, we are going north to get a % of OUR WA fish that have been taken from us for decades. I'm going to sell my boat, DR's & most all taclke and use the proceeds to fund freezer filling excursions to Alaska because the fishing experience here in Wa sucks. At my age I figure I may have 8-10 years left to fish so the thrill is gone... I'll take my grandchildren with me to show them how it used to be in the lower 48.
WDFW reported that Alaska & Canada intercept 48-49% of the fish destine for the Chehalis watershed.

Edited by Misguided (01/12/17 10:46 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |