Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#971965 - 01/24/17 10:51 AM WDFW commission Appointments
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
What are your ideas on the most effective to compel the governor to appoint recreational-friendly WDFW Commission appointments?

Do any of you know why I am asking?? Go!

#971967 - 01/24/17 11:35 AM Re: WDFW commission Appointments [Re: Sky-Guy]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Let me guess... you want to avoid having WA's commission populated with a bunch of commercial shills like Oregon's?

My jaded opinion is that if we want justice, we'll have to break out our wallets and fork out more than the other interests have been contributing to campaigns. Either that, or withhold our license revenues until we see justice start to prevail. Either one should be effective.

#971969 - 01/24/17 11:59 AM Re: WDFW commission Appointments [Re: Sky-Guy]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Elect a new Governor? One that isn't part of the two-party problem that plagues all states and our federal government?

Said it before....and I'll say it again.

Politics as usual in Washington State.

#971972 - 01/24/17 12:05 PM Re: WDFW commission Appointments [Re: Sky-Guy]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Maybe come up with some strong candidates for an upcoming position and nominate them to the Governor and concurrently push our candidates hard through our legislators.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#971978 - 01/24/17 12:29 PM Re: WDFW commission Appointments [Re: Sky-Guy]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Don't buy any fishing or hunting licenses. Money and only money talks at that level. As long as one continues to buy licenses, one is giving de facto approval that "all is well". This only works when MOST of us don't buy licenses together. Missing millions will turn heads. Missing revenue from just a few sportsman is a rounding error that's not even noticed.

#971987 - 01/24/17 01:50 PM Re: WDFW commission Appointments [Re: NickD90]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: NickD90
Don't buy any fishing or hunting licenses. Money and only money talks at that level. As long as one continues to buy licenses, one is giving de facto approval that "all is well". This only works when MOST of us don't buy licenses together. Missing millions will turn heads. Missing revenue from just a few sportsman is a rounding error that's not even noticed.

I'm not buying, and I support this message.

#972005 - 01/24/17 05:45 PM Re: WDFW commission Appointments [Re: Sky-Guy]
wintersteelheadme Offline
Fry

not buying license's could send the message that interest is fading and cuts could be made within the WDFW. Not only is it money, politics and an attempt at a budget matter also. We, the end user, are the first to feel the issues even though we contribute a large portion of the dollars. No license is not going to make up for the thousands of idiots that only buy a license during Humpy season. It's a bumper year for WDFW and rest assured, they WILL take all the credit for a fish they do nothing to propagate!!!

#972007 - 01/24/17 06:58 PM Re: WDFW commission Appointments [Re: Sky-Guy]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Not buying a license is a no go for me. I don't have any other hobbies that would take up the 100+ days a year I'm on the water.
Besides that, I like to fish for species that don't get the hell netted out of them, require hatcheries or are as poorly managed by WDFW as other species.

No doubt salmon and steelhead are the gold standard in regards to species and their poor management is what pisses people off the most.
If you don't buy a license, how does the state really know the reason you didn't renew was due to salmon and steelhead management?

I know the idea was floated around about individual carch cards for specific species. I buy a freshwater license every year which gives me the right to fish for steelhead. I haven't fished for steelhead in three years after fishing for them for the past 50 years and don't plan to in the future. Yet I'm paying for opportunity to do so. I won't be renewing my Columbia River endorsement this year as I don't plan to fish the Cowlitz this year.

Maybe the a la cart system is the way to go. It would give the state a better idea of how many people are truly checking out of salmon and steelhead fishing versus just not buying a license. Over time and with declining license sales for those two specific species, you'd think they'd get the message loud and clear that people are fed up with the mismanagement of those two species. They should know it by now, but it doesn't appear they do.

I know that what I typed is a slippery slope. Nobody wants more bs when it comes to licenses, fees etc. It may cause some enforcement issues as well, but you could at least speak loudly with your pocketbook in regards to management or lack there of in terms of salmon and steelhead.

No easy solutions, just my thoughts as a WA lifer.
It's a damn shame where we are.
Flame on if you must.
SF

#972022 - 01/25/17 08:24 AM Re: WDFW commission Appointments [Re: ]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Quote:
What are your ideas on the most effective to compel the governor to appoint recreational-friendly WDFW Commission appointments?

Well that is a very good question. With two Commissioners on the block it is a important thing so this. If you know who JT is in the Guv's office then you can address it but if you do not know who JT is then frankly you will not be successful as that indicates the lack of understanding of the behind the scenes efforts by the Governors staff. Yes it is known by many but not talked about but rather shortly I imagine it will when we loose two of the present Commissioners.

Edited by Rivrguy (01/25/17 11:30 AM)

#972023 - 01/25/17 08:53 AM Re: WDFW commission Appointments [Re: Rivrguy]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
Quote:

Well that is a very good question. With two Commissioners on the block it is a important thing so this. If you know who JT is in the Guv's office then you can address it but if you do not know who JT is then frankly you will not be successful as that indicates the lack of understanding of the behind the scenes efforts by the Governors staff. Yes it is know by many but not talked about but rather shortly I imagine it will when we loose two of the present Commissioners.

Ding-ding! we have a winner! If we see the Commission reshaped by loosing recreational interest and knowledge on the commission, our rec fisheries will have taken another Large, long term step further down the drain. We can ill-afford to loose the two commisioners who speak on the recreational interests behalf, and see those individuals replaced by commercial or tribal representatives representing their interests. I'm not alone in scratching a hole in my head on how we can influence this decision in any meaningful way.

#972024 - 01/25/17 09:22 AM Re: WDFW commission Appointments [Re: Sky-Guy]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

The way I see it we stole the land from the native americans in the first place.
I feel bad about that.

Lets just give it and the resources all back.

They can have WDFW too.

#972027 - 01/25/17 11:33 AM Re: WDFW commission Appointments [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Tribes don't want WDF&W as their staffs are superior in the harvest arena to be sure. Tribes slip a bit on science but then WDF&W is technically better but mired in internal politics. Yup tribes would not want them either!

Edited by Rivrguy (01/25/17 11:33 AM)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 910 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645370 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |