Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#972034 - 01/25/17 01:01 PM Spawned Hatchery Fish
Isaac Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle
Does anyone know what happens with the spawned hatchery fish in our hatcheries? Do they go to a rendering plant? I know that some go to food banks but it seems that it would be good if spawned hatchery fish and many other (non-spawned fish) could at least be required to go back into the river.
I believe that there should be a certain number of required fish (from each salmon and steelhead species) put back into the system as dead carcasses spread throughout. The odor of rotting carcasses is something that signals a healthy river and it is rare that I get to smell that anymore. It would help tremondously with the outmigrating parr/smolt survival.

#972035 - 01/25/17 01:05 PM Re: Spawned Hatchery Fish [Re: Isaac]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

You demonstrate too much common sense.

Please move along.

Nothing to see here.

#972039 - 01/25/17 01:51 PM Re: Spawned Hatchery Fish [Re: Isaac]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

Volunteers are allowed to get bids outside WDF&W process to sell them AND the funds go back into the resource. State hatcheries are required to utilize the state wide contract that WDF&W puts out to bid with the key element being the contract is for state hatcheries and must take the carcasses be it morts or a bright. After that the largest share of the funds go to the RFEG volunteers to be put back in the resource.

As to back in the stream ( carcasses ) that is something that we did in GH and Ron Craig headed up in Willapa. Requirements ( mostly developed to stop such a thing ) will make you and Jack Daniels close friends. Why? Well mostly because is something WDF&W does poorly to be kind so they do not like it and if CM sees this he can post up the bloody near mountain of BS I contended with. Bottom line good idea but lord you will take up drinking! Oh did I mention you will fail long term as the BS will never stop and you will get old before that concrete plalace in Olympia changes.

#972041 - 01/25/17 02:57 PM Re: Spawned Hatchery Fish [Re: Isaac]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, WDF embarked on a program to return carcasses to streams.

First point is that it is illegal under the CWA to put biological materials into a stream so cleaning fish into the water is illegal. So, we developed some (I thought) pretty simple protocols to take them out and spread them. Damn conservative as it turns out, but it was something. Over time, WDFW decided (apparently) that others could do the process better so they "upgraded" the process, regionalized it, and put out significantly fewer carcasses.

The program was even featured in a BBC film! Which was a great presentation of the hows and whys for large spawning escapements.

Don't know what they are doing now, but if Rivrguy says it is a World Class Goat Roping Rodeo I believe him. Goat rodeos are what they do best now.

#972048 - 01/25/17 05:19 PM Re: Spawned Hatchery Fish [Re: Isaac]
Blu13 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I stopped by the Sol Duc hatchery last fall and they had Hatchery workers, Prisoners, Guards and who knows who else pulling fish out. They also had big totes with Ice and a Trailer Truck there to hall the fish away. I talked to the driver for a few minutes who was waiting to be loaded. It was an operation in progress.

#972088 - 01/26/17 12:59 PM Re: Spawned Hatchery Fish [Re: Isaac]
Misguided Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SWWA
Why don't they offer the fishermen to harvest (one per person) with a punch card? We paid for the MFres.

2nd Generation Army Veteran and Damn Proud of it.

Misguided was the name of my 1st drift boat, I am not to be associated with LAWLESSNESS!!!!

#972096 - 01/26/17 02:07 PM Re: Spawned Hatchery Fish [Re: Isaac]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
And have that count against the NI share? That would make it simple. If you want a salmon, go to the hatchery. No need to patrol, be on the water, etc.

Has been tried in some states and even here where I think some tribal hatcheries gave away fish.

As noted, those fish do support RFEGs, some go to feed prisoners, and the rest are income to a basically bankrupt agency.

#972118 - 01/26/17 07:05 PM Re: Spawned Hatchery Fish [Re: Isaac]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
The state has a contract with a buyer for fish. Usually gets the fish early in the return timing when they are still decent. They have to take everything offered. Hens bring more money than bucks. As said, the income goes back into the RFEGs and some of the meat goes to feed prisoners (salmon burgers). Some tribes also have access to a limited amount of fish if they are helping with the hatchery costs - feed, etc. Carcasses at the hatchery I volunteer at also go back into the river for nutrient enhancement.

#972219 - 01/29/17 12:20 PM Re: Spawned Hatchery Fish [Re: ]
Misguided Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SWWA
I do, they are not worth eating and if possible I want them to return and give me a chance to catch it again.

2nd Generation Army Veteran and Damn Proud of it.

Misguided was the name of my 1st drift boat, I am not to be associated with LAWLESSNESS!!!!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 319 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |