Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1016901 - 11/12/19 10:57 AM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets ***** [Re: Sky-Guy]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
Still using my Arcteryx Sidewinder coat for all things outdoor. Hunting, fishing, snowboarding, boating, & hikes. Hasnt failed me yet and dont expect it to. I've had it for 4-5 years now and still going strong and feels like I'll have it a long time. Awesome build quality and durabilty, huge pockets, only weighs 1.4 pounds. Love it.

Yea...but does it keep your ass warm?

#1016906 - 11/12/19 11:47 AM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: eyeFISH]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
I tried on the River Salt, and it's a good option (I even like the camo styling), but I'm a cheapskate at heart and found pretty good deals on the two Hodgman options

#1016907 - 11/12/19 12:00 PM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: _WW_]
Happy Birthday The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: World's Best Boat Ho
It seems that everyone has missed the obvious. If I want to keep my ass warm and dry I don't fvcking wade in the water.

This World's Best Boat Ho is one smart dude.......

Best river jacket for myself - hands down the SIMMS G3 Guide Jacket.

Don't have many good things to say about the over-priced SIMM's Pro Guide suit (bibs and jacket) and the G4 jacket....unless you like getting wet and cold.

#1016914 - 11/12/19 01:01 PM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: Denham]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Denham
So does nobody on here use Simms?...

I got a Simms Freestone jacket several years ago. I like some of the features, but I don't like how short it is. Also, some of the waterproof/breathable material appears to be wearing off on the neck/hook area. I tried on a Simms Challenger jacket recently, which was longer, but didn't have the same large chest pocket options.

#1016916 - 11/12/19 01:13 PM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: eyeFISH]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Originally Posted By: MPM
Resurrecting this thread because I'm also in the market for a new jacket to use while fishing and performing other outdoor activities, but I don't like the shortness of many "wading" jackets.

However, I do like to keep one or two lure boxes in my jacket pocket when I'm bank fishing, and a lot of otherwise good rain jackets don't have big enough pockets, D rings, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hodgman Aesis or h5 jackets?

Patagonia River Salt Jacket will give you the length you need plus the large front pockets you seek... all in a sleek uncluttered CLEAN frontal profile. Buy it ONCE and rest assured their iron-clad warranty will have you covered for friggin' ever.

My buddy has the river salt (I think) and got soaked in the front as the water came in through the zipper. I have no idea why they didn't include a storm flap in that design. Serious thunderstorm while fishing the hump in september.

For the "too short" complaints just but a tall size if they have it. Before cabelas eviscerated their warranty the goretex guide jacket in tall was near perfect...

Edited by thaxor (11/12/19 01:15 PM)

#1016920 - 11/12/19 01:18 PM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: Jason Beezuz]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
If you enjoy killing hatchery fish I would consider not wearing or supporting anything from Patagonia. Also if you're a hunter, and support predator management.... same.

I know how much folks around here just LOOOOVE Wild Fish Conservancy. Well good news Patagonia does too!

https://www.patagonia.com/actionworks/grantees/wild-fish-conservancy-northwest/
I want to be a fisherman.

#1016938 - 11/12/19 03:46 PM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: GodLovesUgly]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Yeah, I'm turned off by some of Patagonia's political advocacy (not to mention the price), but I haven't totally written them off yet.

#1016947 - 11/12/19 04:37 PM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: MPM]
avidangler
Unregistered

F!!! Patagonia!!! Complete hogwash propaganda.

Edited by avidangler (11/12/19 04:38 PM)

#1016956 - 11/12/19 08:37 PM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
I’m also in the market for a high end rain jacket. Not many options for someone who is 6’5 without looking like I’m swimming in it. Anyone know of any companies or models that have tall sizes?

#1016984 - 11/13/19 11:41 AM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: Jason Beezuz]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

I will get bitch slapped for this but you should go straight to Cabelas and buy the Guidewear Advanced shell.

#1016986 - 11/13/19 12:46 PM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Happy Birthday The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
I will get bitch slapped for this but you should go straight to Cabelas and buy the Guidewear Advanced shell.

The Cabelas' Guidewear was the best set of bibs I have ever owned...and still own/use. Probably longer than the SIMMS G3 jacket. Never got a chance to use the jacket, though. If it's anything like the bibs, it would be an awesome jacket.

#1016996 - 11/13/19 02:24 PM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: The Moderator]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: elparquito

The Cabelas' Guidewear was the best set of bibs I have ever owned...and still own/use. Probably longer than the SIMMS G3 jacket. Never got a chance to use the jacket, though. If it's anything like the bibs, it would be an awesome jacket.

The the Cabelas GuideWear jacket wicks moisture straight up the sleeves from the cuffs.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1017000 - 11/13/19 05:12 PM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: Jason Beezuz]
ONTHESAUK Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA
I've had good luck with them too.

#1017009 - 11/13/19 10:31 PM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
Cabelas guidewear does appear to have tall sizes. Thanks for the response. Anyone know of any others?

#1017030 - 11/14/19 03:02 PM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
The guide wear is great, BUT now that they are owned by bass pro they do NOT have a life time warranty, you now have 90 days ( i think that is what he said) to return any item with factory defect. They will NOT honor the old warranty, or at least that is what I was told AFTER the buy out when i purchased mine. Crappy timing on my part.

#1017033 - 11/14/19 03:28 PM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: Jason Beezuz]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Plus a lot of their jackets now have the ugly-ass Bass Pro Shops logo prominently displayed, which is kind of a dealbreaker for me.

#1017039 - 11/14/19 06:38 PM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: eyeFISH]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

The the Cabelas GuideWear jacket wicks moisture straight up the sleeves from the cuffs.

Yes. One of the only drawbacks. Depending on conditions you can get wicking up to your elbows. Ass,shoulders and everything else stay dry as a bone. Maybe a neoprene cuff would correct this?

#1017040 - 11/14/19 10:18 PM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: RUNnGUN]
avidangler
Unregistered

I wear a 100 dollar Grundens with neo cuffs and I see no reason to change. It may be a bit warm walking around but I guess I'm just all man!

#1017050 - 11/15/19 06:59 AM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: RUNnGUN]
bobrr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN

Yes. One of the only drawbacks. Depending on conditions you can get wicking up to your elbows. Ass,shoulders and everything else stay dry as a bone. Maybe a neoprene cuff would correct this?

I have the long dark Cabela's guide coat, bought it 5, maybe 7 years ago, neoprene cuffs, NEVER had an issue with water up the sleeves, and I've had my hands in water halfway to elbows with no wicking. Francis commented on it being a nice looking coat at the Monte Launch a few years ago. My previous Cabela's guide coat (stolen, unfortunately) was yellow, an even better coat but wasn't available anymore. Bought it about 10 years ago. Every time a new product comes out from Cabela's it isn't as good as the previous item was that it replaced.

#1017199 - 11/19/19 08:29 AM Re: Sick Of "Wading" Jackets [Re: Jason Beezuz]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
I don't think that is isolated to Cabelas products. Most products in general ain't what the used to be anymore. Industry is pumping out straight crap so we can just go buy more next year.
I want to be a fisherman.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1381 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |