Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#632369 - 11/03/10 12:25 AM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: Red Neckerson]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

I fish all my giant flies tied on MAGNUM Waddington shanks in the hangback style.

I bend the rear loop "down-eye" and the front loop "up-eye" and the thing effectively fishes like a tube fly. I tie a 1.5 -2.0 inch Perfection Loop into a 2 ft length of 40# Max UG. Loop a Sickle Octopus/Big River Bait single hook on there and thread the free end of the leader backward thru each "eye" of the fly. The hangback is achieved in a very simple manner. The bulky knot of the Perfection Loop hangs up in the rear "eye" to keep it from pulling all the way thru to the hook.

The 40# makes a great cushion to guard against bite offs from toothy bucks. Also gives me something meaty to grab when it comes time to de-hook.

I tie in a short piece of 15# Max UG between my bite tippet and the end of my T14... pre-planned fail zone for when I snag up so as not to lose the entire Skagit head and tip when I try to break it off.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#632374 - 11/03/10 12:57 AM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: eyeFISH]
Red Neckerson Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: WA
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
I fish all my giant flies tied on MAGNUM Waddington shanks in the hangback style.

I bend the rear loop "down-eye" and the front loop "up-eye" and the thin effectively fishes like a tube fly. I tie a 1.5 -2.0 inch Perfection Loop into a 2 ft length of 40# Max UG. Loop a Sickle Octopus/Big River Bait single hook on there and thread the free end of the leader backward thru each "eye" of the fly. The hangback is achieved in a very simple manner. The bulky knot of the Perfection Loop hangs up in the rear "eye" to keep it from pulling all the way thru to the hook.

The 40# makes a great cushion to guard against bite offs from toothy bucks. Also gives me something meaty to grab when it comes time to de-hook.

I tie in a short piece of 15# Max UG between my bite tippet and the end of my T14... pre-planned fail zone for when I snag up so as not to lose the entire Skagit head and tip when I try to break it off.

Absolutely, but I don't use the UG due to its color, just a "me" thing. I'm hung up on YoZuri Hybrid 30 lb. your idea of a fail point is right on. I used to get so frustrated, tying tip after tip after it getting short.

#632398 - 11/03/10 02:21 AM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: Red Neckerson]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
One additional benefit to using the hangback method on spoons, both saltwater and fresh, is the fact that by using a swivel to set the hook back, it also allows that hook to rotate 360 and set into a fish. A hook rigged with just a split ring will rotate about 180 degrees, with difficulty. You'll miss some fish because the hook was pointing the wrong way and/or reacts less to where the fish hit your offering. Setting the hook back and allowing the hook to rotate on a swivel will increase hookups by allowing that hook point to rotate freely to a place to set into the fish based on where pressure is first applied to the hook. Even with pressure applied to the back of the hook, it will flip right around to a pressure point and might find home, and you'll end up hooking more fish that way.

For lines, straight 12 or 15# monofilament to the spoon all the way.

"look ma, no hands"

#632404 - 11/03/10 03:48 AM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: Sky-Guy]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Ryley, when I say hangback, I mean BACK..... as in 4-5 inches back BEHIND the spoon. I use a length of 50# Max UG and snell an octopus style hook. I tie the free end to a swivel, cover the barrel of the swivel with a hootchie, and place the free eye of the swivel into the spoon's split ring.

Goal is to get a bite on the spoon, but "floss" the fish at the corner of the jaw/maxilla from the outside in with the long trailer.

For a sense of scale, the spoons pictured are nearly 4" long. First coho is hooked in the opposite maxillary plate (hidden from view). Second pic shows just how far I trail that sucker back there.

Attachments
10-01-10 Farrer 16.5# coho headshot.jpg

10-30-10 hangback spoon coho.jpg

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#632416 - 11/03/10 10:24 AM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: eyeFISH]
Olo Offline
Parr

Loc: Seattle
OK, I get it! Ditch the fluorocarbon. I was using it because I was in low, gin clear water targeting summer runs. I'll just go down in test using mono in the future.

Few commented on their hook set technique. I used to swing flies for steelhead and the accepted thought was to give the fish a second to take the fly and turn a bit before setting hard. I have tried to mimic that to a degree because the lure is in front of the fish, pulling both to the side and slightly away like a swung fly. So, if he hammers it, I hammer it. If it stops, I lift the rod moderately and feel for fish. If he is there, then I hammer it up and to the bank side. This has worked in the past but failed miserably this last trip. Maybe a streak, maybe habits from other fish and techniques coming back to haunt me.

#632447 - 11/03/10 01:09 PM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: Olo]
Bigjim Offline
will always be a Juvenile at Sea

Mainline to spoon, Pline CXX Ive been running 8lb. and after banging off rocks, never retying and just being a big meanie to it I have still been hogging in fish on it. I will beef up to 12lb. probably for winter but that stuff is gold its great. HAWGQUEST!! Dirka Dur!!

#632450 - 11/03/10 01:14 PM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: Olo]
Bigjim Offline
will always be a Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: Olo
OK, I get it! Ditch the fluorocarbon. I was using it because I was in low, gin clear water targeting summer runs. I'll just go down in test using mono in the future.

Few commented on their hook set technique. I used to swing flies for steelhead and the accepted thought was to give the fish a second to take the fly and turn a bit before setting hard. I have tried to mimic that to a degree because the lure is in front of the fish, pulling both to the side and slightly away like a swung fly. So, if he hammers it, I hammer it. If it stops, I lift the rod moderately and feel for fish. If he is there, then I hammer it up and to the bank side. This has worked in the past but failed miserably this last trip. Maybe a streak, maybe habits from other fish and techniques coming back to haunt me.

WOw, the accepted thought for hooksetting with flies is the same for snagging pinks.

On a sidenote, fish bites.. set hook as hard as you can.... hog fish around.... make sure reel is set to decent drag.... hog fish more.... use Pline and all of Plines products cause on Hawgquest we use Pline Products. And I cant exemplify the importance of setting the hook mean as you can.... I brain whitefish, trout launch 5 ft. or more depending on size. Set the hook, no doubt.

#632471 - 11/03/10 02:09 PM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: LoweDown]
OPfisher Offline
The Golden Boy

Loc: wa/ak
Originally Posted By: LoweDown

I rock 40lb PP straight to the swivel. I also use a pretty aggressive hookset. Sometimes fish come off, it's part of the program.

when he speaks you listen wink
Fish hitting spoons, plugs spinners, arent that shy...

http://www.olympicpeninsulaoutfitters.net/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Olympic-Peninsula-Outfitters/

#973179 - 02/13/17 11:19 PM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: The Catcherman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: The Catcherman

Can someone please explain "hangback", preferably with pictures?

The DEFINITIVE steelhead spoon-chucker's version of the hangback....

https://outdooraddictions.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/the-trailing-hook-method/

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#973180 - 02/13/17 11:26 PM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: Olo]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Nice article, and even better thread resurrection! I'm going to give that method a go this spring.

#973218 - 02/14/17 12:16 PM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: Sky-Guy]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
I'm going to hang back da double stack this spring. Biatches. <ROD DROP>

Fixed that for you.

(This post was brought you from our sponsor, RVRFSHR, proud makers of the RVRHNGBCKR and RVRDBLSTKRHNGBKR)

#973225 - 02/14/17 01:23 PM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: ]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
Can the long heavy spoons you're now using for an old Fat Max , or an old Steelie Spoon.

I've become a big believer in the 1/2 oz teardrop (Stee-Lee style) spoons recently. Easy to get a good *thump-thump* going in softer holding water.

I've been using 12lb hi-vis mono directly to a snap swivel for ease of switching out spoons, but I wonder if a big brute is going to break the snap one of these days.

#973228 - 02/14/17 02:07 PM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: Olo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

using a snap swivel to attach a spoon is playing with fire... get rid of it... if you must use a swivel, use a duo-lock...

or just use the duo-lock snap as MAD said...

listen to that guy....

also, ditch the high viz...

#973229 - 02/14/17 02:14 PM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: Olo]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Evo has never caught a steelhead on a spoon, so you should totally listen to him.

#973232 - 02/14/17 02:23 PM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: Olo]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
I use the "locking" snap swivels, so not sure if adding the swivel makes it any less secure than just using the duolock itself.

I figure if a fish is going to take a swipe at a thumping, flashing, shiny piece of metal, the neon green line isn't going to turn it off.

#973233 - 02/14/17 02:24 PM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: Olo]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

I've had big hitters bust open those snap swivels, and I wont be that guy again.

50-75lb barrel swivel attached to stout split rings... front and back of the blank. (NOT VISION)

To me its similar to the reasons why I use a 60lb leader for a hoochie, I've had 40-50lb bitten clean off on a strike, and next time I want a chance to land that fish.

#973234 - 02/14/17 03:30 PM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: ]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
Originally Posted By: ReefSkunk
Evo has never caught a steelhead on a spoon, so you should totally listen to him.

ok,
that made me laugh

#973235 - 02/14/17 03:42 PM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: Olo]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

This place is losing its authenticity when it comes to advice. How could no one menation double stacking?

#973238 - 02/14/17 04:44 PM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: Olo]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

C'mon double stacking is so OLD school. Sure, it works..... and here's proof from my cellphone.... a Halloween double stack ( copper on black) was simply too much for this pretty little Skagit spring fish to resist....

But come on, now... that was 8 or 9 years ago. This is how all the COOL kids roll these days....

Just be careful Perry poking it out there with your Skagit short.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#973263 - 02/14/17 09:20 PM Re: Lost Steel on Spoons [Re: Olo]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
As far as losing fish, set the hook towards the bank low and to the side. It's a trick I learned swinging flies and it does seem to help. And don't pull too hard until the fish has made a run. A run away from you will get the hook buried nicely. Nothing I hate more than a fish that goes nuts in one place, I almost always lose those.

As far as line, I've been using Pline CX green 15# for 3 years now as my spoon line. It's about the diameter of 10# UG but a lot stronger. No need for leaders or any bs just tie on a spoon and go. I used braid and decided I like a little flex when I set the hook. I felt the braid ripped the spoon out and it didn't provide a nice lift to the spoon when I wanted it.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 993 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |