THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#973202 - 02/14/17 08:29 AM Re: What opportunity have you lost? [Re: Backtrollin]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

I have recently lost the opportunity to sleep through the whole night and it really pisses me off.
Literally.

#973203 - 02/14/17 08:34 AM Re: What opportunity have you lost? [Re: TedR]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
Originally Posted By: TedR
Man you guys are depressing. A whole thread of negativity. Sure, it sucks, but wallowing in despair isn't gonna solve it.

Get out and enjoy what you have and fight for what you want back. Stay positive. Negativity gets you right back where you started only depressed and drunk. Do better.
i try to remain positive, as someone who likes to fish for steelhead, i'm an eternal optimist. i've noticed that i start hanging up my gear earlier each year. just don't have the willpower to fight the crowds on the coast with all the closures up north these days. i used to have no problem standing in a combat line when the fishing was hot in the peak of a run. off the peak times, one could get some great solitude and still have a shot at a fish. now, the crowds just show up even if there's no fish around -- that's the depressing part. most of the rivers that i fish, require you to keep moving to find the fish. can't do that when there's a guy posted up every 50 yards or less for miles. find myself driving farther and farther to get away from the masses...harder to justify the expense when supporting a family on a budget.

i've found myself getting interested in fishing lakes again like when i was a kid, dragging a flatfish around with my feet up, one hand on the kicker and the other holding a cold beverage. big holdovers can be fun too.

Edited by Chum Man (02/14/17 08:38 AM)

#973204 - 02/14/17 08:39 AM Re: What opportunity have you lost? [Re: Backtrollin]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Deschutes River Steelhead.

Kennedy Creek Steelhead.

Queets River Steelhead, Bait, March-April, above Sam's river.

South Fork of the Toutle River, Bait, winter and summer runs.

I always enjoy eating a tender, hot, moist clam and hope the opportunity is never mis-managed..

#973206 - 02/14/17 08:52 AM Re: What opportunity have you lost? [Re: eyeFISH]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Originally Posted By: War-Paint
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Thank God we still have clams.... gettin to be 'bout the only fishery that hasn't been f'd.

Except for the Bio-toxin levels, sure...

I'll clarify...

...gettin to be 'bout the only fishery that hasn't been f'd BY MISMANAGEMENT

BTW we're about to lose a little more harvest opportunity... I hear rockfish limit is about to go down to 7 fish in the coastal marine areas (1-4).

Already got the rec winter closure set in stone.... now another 30% reduction when we're actually open.

I guess they need to make room for a commercial Sebastes fishery since salmon's gonna suck so bad for the forseeable future.

I'm just bitter.
The three times my wife and I planned to spend the weekend on the coast doing just this it has been closed.

What have we lost?
I can't even legally fish for steelhead in the river in my own back yard that once was one of the premier wild steelhead rivers in the PNW.

There are almost zero coho left which are my favorite fish to catch, almost zero sockeye when the run was in the hundred thousands, most of the spring chinook are netted and trucked to bypass us fishing on the river for them, and fall chinook are pretty much extinct in this area now.

What have we lost?
Well, most everything we put ourselves in charge of.

Edited by War-Paint (02/14/17 08:53 AM)

#973207 - 02/14/17 09:11 AM Re: What opportunity have you lost? [Re: Backtrollin]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Way too many to list.
Probably the one that hurts the most is the Puyallup. It was my home river and were I caught my first steelhead nearly 50 years ago. Seems like only yesterday based on my memory of it. Haven't fished for steelhead in three years now.
Not fishing Puget Sound coho was BS last year.

That said, I probably fish more now then I ever have. The type of fish I'm targeting has changed, but it is also pretty relaxing. I rarely encounter any other anglers which is a nice change from some of the salmon and steelhead clusters I encountered as opportunities for those species diminished.
SF

#973209 - 02/14/17 09:34 AM Re: What opportunity have you lost? [Re: Backtrollin]
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
A few of the main ones...

Lake WA Socks
Area 8.1-8.2 Summer Chinook
Lewis River Springers
Elliot Bay Salmon
Fraser River Socks
Sept Coho fishing in the Sound (repeat 2017?)

Now everytime I buy fishing tackle I wonder if I'll even be able to use it and take that plug out of the package. 10 years ago I would buy the same plug and wonder how long I'll have it in my possession before breaking it off on a fish or snag. I often wonder how much longer the local tackle stores are going to be able to make it. The only fishing I spend money on anymore is chasing springers on the Columbia.

BD

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#973230 - 02/14/17 02:20 PM Re: What opportunity have you lost? [Re: Backtrollin]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

"Cowlitz Smelt Dipping on Hold After Fleet Nets Just One Fish"

Yup.

LOL.

#973401 - 02/16/17 01:17 PM Re: What opportunity have you lost? [Re: Backtrollin]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Loss of access to the Tacoma Head works. They blocked it off for good after 9-11, that's where Tacoma gets their drinking water from. I spent thousands of hours there when I first started Steelhead fishing..pisses me off.

- Albert Einstein.

#973402 - 02/16/17 01:45 PM Re: What opportunity have you lost? [Re: Backtrollin]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
With all the losses, the one that probably upsets me the most is the closing of the beaches where I dig steamers. Open all year round, every time I collected rent or drove out to the peninsula I would try to time it for a lower tide. Didn't have to be low, just below 6' or so and I could pull out a limit in less than 10 minutes. In its peak, I dug up my forty clams with a screw driver in about 5 minutes. Then, all at once, down to two months a year on that and several other beaches. There was some decline in numbers, but I never failed to get a limit in less than 20 minutes, just had to move some. No reasoning, no warning, just gone. From a quick limit as a drive by to now over an hour and a special trip to find a beach with not nearly the numbers. I haven't had time to pull one out this year. Really sucks. Only thing left nearby is squid, and I have been noticing the tribes are starting to announce commercial openings. Probably be limited on that in a year or two too.

#973653 - 02/21/17 06:49 PM Re: What opportunity have you lost? [Re: DrifterWA]
Misguided Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SWWA
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA

Smelt

Miss the ability to go and do "the dip".....another fishery way over fished!!!!

Well you are in luck this year, the WDFW has opened a dip for sportfishers, a LONGGGGG 5 hour opening (yep 5 hours only 8am-1pm) on Feb. 25th. Be there or miss out... lol 5 hours, GOOD GAWD!!!! The commercials got some too before we even got a chance.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/feb2117a/

2nd Generation Army Veteran and Damn Proud of it.

Misguided was the name of my 1st drift boat, I am not to be associated with LAWLESSNESS!!!!

#973655 - 02/21/17 08:09 PM Re: What opportunity have you lost? [Re: Backtrollin]
chasbo Offline
Spawner

Loc: oly
I still regret missing that opportunity with the BOTH sisters that night in Mazatlan, 1972

#973793 - 02/24/17 12:18 AM Re: What opportunity have you lost? [Re: Backtrollin]
Misguided Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SWWA
Sturgeon on the Chehalis!!!

2nd Generation Army Veteran and Damn Proud of it.

Misguided was the name of my 1st drift boat, I am not to be associated with LAWLESSNESS!!!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |