Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#973943 - 02/27/17 03:16 PM Ruger 10/22
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

i got bored, and tired of staring at 800+ rounds of CCI Mini Mag, so i started a little build...

the main goal is to use it in bench/silhouette shoots at Tacoma when they get the range done, should be soon...

started out with a base 10/22 carbine, and grabbed a 4-16x42 mm IR mildot scope... the dots will be pointless with this rifle, but thats ok, i didnt buy it for the dots...

i then grabbed a Green Mountain 20 inch barrel, wanted to get a fluted one but oh well, dont really need it, i can always get something else down the road as well..

barrel showed up today, so i went and grabbed a Hogue thumbhole stock, was going to go with the Magpul X22, it felt excellent, but the guy at the store took this out of the package for me to hold it, and it felt as good, plus the texturing ive always liked on the Hogue grips on my other guns..

put it together, and this is what i have... still need to get a trigger, which i have no clue as to what im going to do yet, the stock trigger and stock suck complete ass, Andy has suggested to me that i get the BX trigger, as its a drop in, cheap, and only 3 pounds vs 6-7 on the stock trigger, but, i may just spend the extra 100 bucks and get a Volq, Kidd, or Timney..

i did find a guy on Ebay that will do the "matchgrade" work on the stock triggers, replacing the actual trigger itself, and lowering the pull to benchrest at 1.85 pounds, or i can go 2, or 3.. the work is 60 bucks, with my trigger, or i can buy one from him already done for 100... Volq, PC, Kidd, all are 200 or higher, so i havent decided yet what im going to do, i can get a power customs trigger done tomorrow at the Marksman if i decide im gonna go with a more expensive trigger over the BX... need to message the seller on Ebay to see what his are all about...

anyways, this is what ive come up with... still need the trigger, may get an oversized bolt handle too, but not sure... trigger first, then hopefully the range is done and i can put it to the test...

so far im at 605$, trigger will add either 100, or 2-250 depending on what i do....

#973976 - 02/28/17 05:38 PM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

Thanks Scott, yeah I will spend money on the trigger, I just want one prefect for me, so I'm being cautious..

Took it to the range today, everyone says you are supposed to ruin multiple brands of ammo to see what shoots best, but I only had cci mini mags that are 15 years old... So I shot them, rifle didn't do too bad, most of the groupings were this or a little tighter, which isn't too bad but there's allot of room for improvement, hopefully the aguila match rounds I just grabbed does better.. If not I'll find something that does...

This was my best group of the day, 5 rounds, possibly 6, they called a cold range so I had to stop...

I'll run some new match ammo to see what happens, instead of 15 year old mini mags, although they do shoot pretty well....

#973977 - 02/28/17 06:37 PM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Nice Nate. That's a Bell and Carlson stock isn't it? I just did a very similar build a couple of years ago. For shooting paper with a .22LR, you need to go subsonic for next level accuracy. Regular rounds break the sound barrier and little tiny light .22's will shudder and drift a bit from that. .22's are WAY more apt to fly true if they don't break the SB. Try the 40 gr. CCI Green Tags and thank me later. They're the best on the market - IMO. Try some and post your results back here. I'd wager that that you bring your groupings inside a dime no prob. Good luck and have fun with the new toy.

#973982 - 02/28/17 07:23 PM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

Hogue OM thumbhole stock..

i knew that about .22LR, because the standard and high velocity rounds actually accelerate and decelerate through the sound barrier, that can throw them off.. subsonic ammo never passes through that turbulence, so there is no deviation from flight path generally speaking.. the only thing i dont like about sub sonic ammo, is that it most likely wont cycle in this gun, ive had issues with it in most guns ive owned... maybe just me who knows.. accuracy is excellent, just wont cycle.. there are barrels designed specifically for sub sonic rounds, but i wanted to be able to shoot HV rounds as well as bulk ammo..

interestingly enough, the dots on the MD reticle actually worked today, i sighted it in using the Mini Mags, and then started to use some standard velocity CCI rounds, and they shot about 2 inches low, so i messed with the dots, not a target application for sure, but would work fine shooting small game

that second target is about a dime, they are 1 inch squares...

the only thing im thinking about now is trigger pull weight, i can go 1.85# but that is extremely light, probably will settle in the 2 to 2.5 range, ive found a couple gunsmiths that will completely strip and re assemble stock groups with upgraded parts that most people on rimfire central have said are just as good as the higher end companies like Kidd and Volq, PC, ect... i want to talk to the company first, so ill have to make a couple calls, maybe tomorrow...

today was only the second time firing it, first time with barrel and stock attached...

its coming along tho...

cant wait to do another bolt gun when im done with this one....

#973984 - 02/28/17 08:42 PM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
NickD90 Offline

I haven't had any issues with CCI GT's in my 10/22. Cycles fine. I personally wouldn't go less than 2.5# - which is where I'm currently at with mine.

#973990 - 02/28/17 10:18 PM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

i have not tried the CCI GT's ill grab a few, i didnt see anything like that today at Sportsmans tho, expensive ass Eley Remington at 20 a box down to 4.99 for standard CCI but ZERO subsonic rounds... kinda odd actually...

the ones i shot were Aguila but it was years ago, ill grab some CCI and see what happens, ive always prefered them as a company..

#974010 - 03/01/17 12:07 PM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
How do you screw on the suppressor on that rifle? I'm confused.

smile

#974015 - 03/01/17 12:35 PM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

duct tape wink

#974016 - 03/01/17 12:45 PM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

just waiting to see if i can get the extended wrap mag release on this trigger and im ordering it... still waiting for response...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-10-22-MATCH-...-/282321610164?

#974034 - 03/01/17 02:03 PM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

Ordered, cannot wait.. Guy seems really cool, response quick, and it's basically the same thing the marksman gunsmith was going to charge me 200 for...

Here's his website, they do alot if AR stuff as well...

https://candatacticaldesigns.com/

#974082 - 03/02/17 01:09 AM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
gulliver Offline
Alevin

Beautiful upgrade!

#974100 - 03/02/17 01:42 PM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
A 2lb trigger pull on a target rifle really isn't all that light.

#974101 - 03/02/17 02:07 PM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

he asked me if i wanted a benchrest trigger, which is 1.5 and below, some guys use 2 stage 2 oz per stage, but thats way too light for me... i said i wanted the 2, as im still going to take the thing out in the woods and such, its not "just" a target gun i guess, i just want it capable of doing so ...

its not a 5k dollar Anschutz, but i think it will work alright enough for me to have fun around here, i highly doubt ill be making any national championships with it, but, thats ok with me....

trigger should be here next week, then i can start thinking about the next one... my 2 choices right now are a Rem 700, or an AR-10... havent decided yet...

there is however, a 6-24x50 MM IR MD Sightmark at Sportsmans for 200 bucks that i may buy and put on this rifle, just for the vision enhancement factor, but im gonna take this out to 100 first and see what it does after the trigger comes....

#974584 - 03/08/17 12:00 PM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

trigger came...

feels excellent, 2 pounds really isnt that light actually, im gonna shoot it maybe tomorrow and see how it goes... may have him drop it to 1 pound or less if it doesnt suit my needs... well, my wants....

feels excellent tho, nice aluminum Power Customs trigger, EDM machined hammer, when the trigger breaks, it smacks the back of the trigger guard immediately, no creep, sway, or anything... solid as a brick sh!thouse... very happy..

would definitely buy another one...

#974589 - 03/08/17 12:12 PM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
NickD90 Offline

Nice. Post pics.

#974593 - 03/08/17 12:27 PM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

i messaged him thanking him, and he immediately responded... this guy has done that the whole time, excellent customer service...

i told him that the 2 pounds didnt seem all that light, although its VERY light, and his response was, that it will lighten a little bit after the first 300 rounds or so, and if im not happy with it, i can send it back on his dime, and per his warranty, and have them set it to whatever i want...

im pretty sure ill be happy with it tho, like i said i still want to take it up into the woods and shoot, not just a target gun... this trigger will make it a dream to plink with, the reset is instant... excellent quality...

#974743 - 03/11/17 09:21 AM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
NickD90 Offline

Looks good!

#974748 - 03/11/17 11:28 AM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

thanks Nick..

feels excellent as well... i went and shot it Thursday but im having a problem... my heart beat moves the scope with each beat, when i went Thurs i was really hungry to the point my stomach hurt a little so im sure that had an effect on it... but i feel it may be affecting me finding out what ammo is best, so im going to likely buy a lead sled, so that i can get everything dialed in and find the best ammo and then take it from there...

plus i can always use it with other guns to sight in, they are only 100 bucks...

#974772 - 03/11/17 04:05 PM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

wow, you get what you pay for is an understatement lol...

decide i would just grab a cheap Allen rest/vice, was 35 bucks....

biggest piece of [Bleeeeep!] on the planet, its not square, and the leveling knob doesnt work...

back to plan A....

#974796 - 03/12/17 04:22 PM Re: Ruger 10/22 [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

well, i guess you can spend 5 more dollars and it gets you a whole different rest rofl

its not a Lead Sled by any means, but what it is, is very very very sturdy, plastic so its light, and also, made in the USA...

this will work perfect, very stable platform, rifle doesnt move unless you move it... plus you can take the back off and use the front and the black bucket (my oil and such is in there) as the place you rest the butt of the pistol grip if using to sight in pistols....

now to grab some different ammo... the Aguila that i got last trip didnt perform that well, matter of fact the Mini Mags out performed it... we will see if it was me, or the ammo this week maybe....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |