Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#973909 - 02/26/17 01:24 PM Moist Wader Chronicles 2/26/2017
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Moist Life Jacket

Buddy I and I hit the river in our pontoons and had a memorable day floating. The fishing was slower than expected but we did hook two. One of those two acted like a big buck, didn't come to surface, stayed deep, never budged much. I hooked it at the top of a fast run and couldn't give any ground so it was a slow going battle until that hook finally worked its way out. I had the rod corked for a couple minutes and tightened the drag twice so it was something bigger than I had hooked in a while. I'm not gonna guess any weights because that is just stupid but I was a little sad to feel that hook pop free, sadder than the next fish lost that day. Both were hooked on the infamous bead and as some of you may know, some times you just don't hook a fish well using the pegged bead setup. At least the second fish made a couple fast runs and crashed the surface. A much more typical size and fight than the first. Just one of those days as far as bite. The river was high so there were fewer fishy spots than expected.

The float was new to me, I wanted to follow my buddy the whole time because the river is popular for white water rafting, splits in several places, and has the type of drops you can't see down until you are in them and they are loaded with rocks. I was fishing a run he didn't like and he went down the river around the corner and out of view. Of course this is the time there is a nasty chute into a sweeper and I take it. I rowed rocks just to stop myself from being launched into wood and broke the paddle of my oar about in half and bent the shaft a little (keep in mind this is pontoon level construction). Ive never had to row rocks going down a chute like that and now I know it can be done, leaves you and your gear bruised but that's better than being pinned to a log drowning as you say goodbye to life. Further downstream there was another epic rapid and he was there above it pointing to where to go so that one was handled okay, even with a gimp oar.

All in all it was a memorable day, not so much for the fishing, but I did do bigger rapids than I have ever done in a pontoon and survived some hairy situations in which reaction time needed to be faster than the brain can think. In the end I was pretty moist and it was from surviving situations and building up some confidence. This was not a hard boat float by any means so I think I could do a lot of stuff now that I wouldn't have been ready for in the past. I took water down my jacket and waders multiple times. Felt weightless going over waves and bumped rocks in the troughs.

Moisture Level: 8/10, could have caught a fish to make it a 10

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#973956 - 02/28/17 07:38 AM Re: Moist Wader Chronicles 2/26/2017 [Re: Jason Beezuz]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Nice report.

Goretex isn't waterproof 100%.

#973965 - 02/28/17 10:02 AM Re: Moist Wader Chronicles 2/26/2017 [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
Nice report.

Goretex isn't waterproof 100%.

So I either get moist wearing neoprene and overheating as I launch my pontoon in a non boat launch (because why else pontoon, I have a drift boat) and row like hell, or I get moist sitting in my pontoon in goretex as chops crash over the bow.

It appears the only way to avoid moisture is to fish in the desert. Fishing in the desert leads to rashes and herpes just ask my friend that went to burning man.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#973966 - 02/28/17 10:28 AM Re: Moist Wader Chronicles 2/26/2017 [Re: Jason Beezuz]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

Burning Man is ground zero for odd.
Good luck.

#973978 - 02/28/17 06:55 PM Re: Moist Wader Chronicles 2/26/2017 [Re: Jason Beezuz]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
I still don't understand how you are getting wet inside of your waders? I mean I can crack the obvious joke here, but really....seriously how? If you are actually sticking your head underwater and biting at the fish, I do believe you are doing it wrong. But anything less than that you should be staying 99% dry.

#974063 - 03/01/17 06:48 PM Re: Moist Wader Chronicles 2/26/2017 [Re: Jason Beezuz]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Perhaps a wading jacket isn't the appropriate solution?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#974084 - 03/02/17 07:31 AM Re: Moist Wader Chronicles 2/26/2017 [Re: Jason Beezuz]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

It's good to see there are fisherman out there that still get excited when they hook a fish.
Wader drizzle is a good thing.

#974121 - 03/02/17 07:09 PM Re: Moist Wader Chronicles 2/26/2017 [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
"I just want to catch the football" - Corky

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 903 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |