THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97553 - 10/11/00 06:37 PM Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Jim Bain Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Chehalis, Washington USA
What kind of knots do you all tie...there are many some good some not so good. And have any of you tried the Tiemaster tool by Joe Little??

Jim

#97554 - 10/11/00 08:07 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
rogue runner Offline
Parr

Loc: Port Angeles, WA 98362
I use the "river's inlet knot" I like the fact that the line goes through the swivel 2x to give it more strength.

#97555 - 10/12/00 11:16 AM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Retired Offline
Egg

Loc: Seattle
I've been using Tiemaster for 2 years now and find it great. It is really easy to learn and fast to use. I have broke fish off but never because of a knot failure. Joe Little did a great job of reasearch and design.

[This message has been edited by Retired (edited 10-12-2000).]

#97556 - 10/12/00 11:17 AM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Double improved clinch knot.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

#97557 - 10/12/00 11:28 AM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Jim Bain Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks retired...how I got interested in the knot tier is after reading a quote from Clancy Holt saying that "It is an absolute must for fisherman. It really makes the difference in knot strength, especially with Super Lines and Super Braids! I endorse it 100% It really works! I have it on all of my rods with my power pro and have had no problems.

Jim

#97558 - 10/12/00 12:10 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Monty Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma, WA
I like using the rivers inlet knot for two reasons. First it is the strongest knot I've tried and it gets you off a lot of snags you might not have otherwise.(especially with spoons and spinners) Secondly, I can use the same pound mainline as leader if I get to the river and decide I would like to use a beafier leader. I will simply tie a rivers inlet knot from mainline to swivel and a double clinch knot from leader to swivel. Even with the same line I never lose all my gear.

[This message has been edited by Monty (edited 10-12-2000).]

#97559 - 10/12/00 02:02 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Jim Bain Offline
Juvenille at Sea

So Monty and Rogue...how do you tie the Rivers Inlet Knot??

Jim

#97560 - 10/12/00 02:57 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
For lures, until it fails me, I'll keep using the improved clinch knot w/ a good length of tag. Drift fishing/mooching rigs, egg bumper knot. Steelhead flies, duncan loop. Fly leaders blood knot, overhand loops & nail knot leader to fly line.

#97561 - 10/12/00 04:31 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
scottguides Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: elma
what exactly is the tiemaster,thats a new one on me.and maybe a little more detail on the rivers inletknot? thanks guys

#97562 - 10/12/00 06:06 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
SteelyBob Offline
Parr

Loc: Everett
I'm not sure if this is the Tiemaster that this thread is referring to, but I found this description of a "Tiemaster" on the web: Designed to tie monofilament or string lines, this spring-loaded fisherman's knot-tying tool makes fast work of tying a variety of knots including the clinch, palomar, single, double, snell and nail knots. It is pocket-size and will hold any fishhook in six different positions and any fly hook in four positions without harming the feathers or affecting its design shape. It provides a safety hook holder and dispenser, and the contoured handle allows for a natural grip (right or left-handed) by both adults and children. The suggested retail price is $9.95, which includes tax, shipping and handling. Tiemaster Manufacturing, 4855 El Verano, Atascadero, CA 93422; (626) 303-4644 or fax (626) 303-5656. (there's also a picture of it at http://www.goodsamclub.com/highways/11_99/product_13.cfm ) I haven't tried it, but if Clancy says it's trick...that's enough for me.

On the River's Inlet Knot, I have to agree, that's the strongest knot I've found, but it's still critical to test it after tying as it sometimes binds up when you pull it tight (be sure to wet before you tighten it). I got turned on to this knot when I read about it a few years ago in Bill Herzog's book "Color Guide to Steelhead Drift Fishing" The knot is pictured on page 28 at the lower right in this book. (Frank Amato Publications at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1878175599/qid%3D/002-5664644-2992861 ) and there is also a new book I see at Amato Publications by Herzog that's on nothing but tying knots, but I haven't read that one (see at http://www.bcbooks.com/tiestrongfishknot.html ). Anyway, the Rivers Inlet Knot is basically a jazzed up Clinch Knot, and to tie it you just fold the end of a leader back about 5" and then pinch down the end loop tight and put it through the eye of the hook and pull the loop out far enough to make four wraps around both the main line and the tag line and then stick the end loop back through the first loop next to the hook eye (not through the eye) you created with the first line wrap. As you can probably tell from that...tying knots is hard to do/describe without pictures. I use this knot on the swivel end of my 10# Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon drift leader and I've landed 25# kings on the Satsop with it. You have to be sure and wet the knot before pulling it tight though and triple-check it for strength! Good luck and have fun.

[This message has been edited by SteelyBob (edited 10-17-2000).]

#97563 - 10/12/00 06:36 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Jim Bain Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Steely....good research but that is a different one than the one I am talking about...hmmmm....the one that I am talking about was designed by Guide Joe Little and as I have learned actually doubles the line strength of Berkely Fireline...as tested at Berkeleys lab....well....I will need to make a phone call and find out...Thanks,

Jim

#97564 - 10/12/00 09:29 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
SteelyBob Offline
Parr

Loc: Everett
Hey Jim Bain, oh well...sorry that's not the right Tiemaster...I searched using http://www.Google.com and that's all I could find by that name, and I couldn't find a thing under the guide name "Joe Little." I'd be interested in seeing what the Tiemaster looks like too, so post what you find out here for me if you would.

#97565 - 10/12/00 09:51 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
rogue runner Offline
Parr

Loc: Port Angeles, WA 98362
The reference to Bill Hertzog's book will get you to the river's inlet knot. I like it because I can tie my leaders long and then just bend em over at the lenght that I need for that day.

#97566 - 10/12/00 09:51 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Retired Offline
Egg

Jim, I'm sorry I misled you a little. I went ahead and repeated your name of "tiemaster".
This is in error. The name is "knots for all". This is the one designed by Joe Little and I'm sure the one recomended by Clancy. I don't have a phone number but the address where you can get all the information is:

Knots For All
PO Box 12453
Mill Creek, Wa. 98082-0453

Joe Little has been a guide on the Cowlitz for many years. I would put him right up there with Clancy. He is one of the few professionals left.

#97567 - 10/12/00 10:07 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
Jim I use the tiemaster and like it a lot. Hang it around your neck so it is handy. I think Clancy dose the same thing. And once you learn how to tie the knot it is easy. Have never had a problem with knot strength.

#97568 - 10/13/00 02:33 AM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Jim Bain Offline
Juvenille at Sea

All right...got things squared away after a talk with Joe Little. Retired...you didn't mislead me...the "knot for all" was renamed tiemaster. Yes Clancy does use it exclusively, so does Mike Kelley of Hells Anglers, he has been around for ever...in fact Mike boasts of only having to tie his mainline knot once per season while fishing the Kenai and then comes down here and uses the same knot on the Columbia Kings. Ron Buntrock Fishboss Guide Service and Rogue River Guides President also keeps one around his neck. Guys if these top pros are using it then it works better than anything else they have used. After talking with Joe...he will sell the tool for an even 7.00 which includes shipping and handling, instructions included.

You can email to littletiemaster@yahoo.com

I will post some more staggering facts regarding this knot later...right now I am tired!

Jim

#97569 - 10/14/00 03:20 AM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
River's inlet knot. This knot ceases to amaze me, not only with its strength, but also its durability. I think its bulkiness is the key. It eliminates the need to run a bead between the knot and swivel when running a sliding weight with drift gear. Just leave a half-inch tag end on the doubled mainline and the sliding swivel's eye will not run over the knot.

#97570 - 10/15/00 02:21 AM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

I've been using a little different way to tie an eggloop lately. I put the line through the eye and make a loop that lays on the shank, then wrap the line and shank by passing the loop over the end of the hook about ten times. This all gets pulled tight and snugged up to the eye and then both ends are cut off close to the knot. This is just a bumper knot on the hook. Now repeat the same knot below the bumper and you are done. The advantages are ,IMHO, it is easy to tie,you can tie a bunch of hooks with the bumper knot and the tie an eggloop in just a few seconds when you need one, you can re-tie a hook without cutting the leader off the swivel , you don't have too pull the whole leader back through the knot to tighten it up,this can score the line . It also eliminates a weak part of a regular eggloop, and that is where the line is bent back around the front of the eye to start the first wraps. If the leader is going to be used for cutplug or spinner herring, I leave a whisker on the bumper knot that sticks out through the eye of the forward hook. This helps to keep the towing hook from pulling through the herring. I've caught many fish with this knot and haven't had a knot failure yet.
Geez,I'm having a hard time swallowing that one mainline knot lasting all season,well maybe the knot, but what about the line getting chaffed on the landing net or strecthed from pulling off snags or all the other things that happen. Maybe they only happen to me.

#97571 - 10/17/00 08:37 AM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

Marty does really good illustrations of knots on his website, maybe we can get him to illustarte the tiemaster and the rivers inlet knot on his site,
what do you say marty?
Tony

#97572 - 10/17/00 08:21 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Jim Bain Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hi Rainy,
The tiemaster can't be illustrated because it is tied with a tool...I know that Joe Little the inventer of the tool would like to get a diagram of the "Rivers Inlet" knot so that he could tie it and do a break test.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, Excitable Bob), 390 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |