THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97573 - 10/17/00 11:17 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

The Rivers Inlet knot is a four twist clinch knot tied with the line doubled up.

#97574 - 10/17/00 11:31 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Jim Bain Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Chehalis, Washington USA
So Keta,
Do you double the line on itself and put the loop through the eye and then tie a cinch not? Is that what you mean?

Jim

#97575 - 10/18/00 01:01 AM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Jim, Ya that's right.
This is probably splitting hairs, but I think a double uni knot is more consistant in it's breaking strenth than the Rivers Inlet knot. This is from some very unscientific knot breaking tests using a fish scale.

[This message has been edited by Keta (edited 10-17-2000).]

#97576 - 10/20/00 02:05 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Jim Bain Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Got this email from Guide Mike Kelly today and thought I would share it with you. If any of you are interested in the Joe Little Tiemaster email me with your address and I will let Joe know to mail one to you...his charge is $7.00 which includes shipping and handling.

Here is what Mike Kelly wrote to me...

I USE JOES KNOT TOOL RELIGOUSLY. MY TUFF LINE ON MY REELS IN ALASKA
SOME
OF MY KNOTS HAVE NOT BEEN CHANGED FOR 3 YEARS JUST AS STRONG AS EVER.
THIS IS THE BEST KNOT EVER INVENTED. TAKE MY WORD FOR IT . I HAVE
HUNDREDS OF KENAI KINGS TO PROOVE IT. EVEN ONE 87 POUNDER NO ONE HAS
CAUGHT AS MANY ON JOES KNOT AS ME I SWEAR BY IT. MIKE KELLY HELLS
ANGLERS

That is a pasted quote from my email.

Also...tested what I thought was the Rivers Inlet knot...don't think I have all the directions on how to tie it so if anyone can help...

Thanks,

Jim

#97577 - 10/20/00 02:57 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Hammer Bob Offline
Fry

Loc: Yolo, Ca. USA
I don't know about you but I would be pretty leary about fishing with a guide who doesn't change his line or knots for three years.

#97578 - 10/20/00 04:10 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
rainycity Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle
Jim,
If you lose a 50 pounder,
does the knot (the rivers inlet) fail?
just giving you a bad time..*L*

#97579 - 10/20/00 06:33 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Jim Bain Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Rainy.....absolutelypositivelywithnodoubt!!
LOL....

As for trusting the guide....Mike has been at the business for a very long time and I he is in the business of catching fish and does a great job of that...would I trust him? Yes I would...but then again I know him. Plus many other pros are doing the same thing, maybe a new era in knot tying has arrived!?

Jim

#97580 - 10/20/00 06:50 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Jim, If you can tie a clinch knot you should be able to tie the Rivers Inlet knot, just double the line up.
Whats the point of using the same knot or line for three years. If I were a guide I don't think I would take a chance on looking foolish to a customer when a knot or line breaks on a fish of a lifetime. Line is cheap and knots are easy to tie. How does he know the three year old knots and line are as strong as ever?

#97581 - 10/20/00 08:50 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
AkKings Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kelso Wa.
Hey HammerBob, 5 years ago I started using tuff line for all my bottom fishing in Ak. every year I have a few guests who get there line wrapped in my kicker, I have 3 reels that have multiple splices in them (blood knots)and I have yet to have have a knot failure, after this past season I decided 5 years was enough, I'll respool this spring and expect to get another 4-5 years. Only other knots I use, improved cinch and uni.

#97582 - 10/20/00 09:12 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
grumpyr Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Orygun
Rainycity, Marty's gone. Something about a fued in forks. You'll have to visit his site at www.steelheader.net I believe it is to check out the knots. Lots of good info there. I can't imagine why he doesn't get very much traffic.
Is this Rivers Inlet knot anything like the Trilene Knot?
I don't use braided or super lines, just plain old Ande'. How about a link to a diagram of this knot.
Last but not least, I can't resist the chance to revive an old blast. Ask Dan S. how to tie on a K-16 Kwickfish so it is gauranteed to come off at the hook set. I still havn't figured out how he did that.
grumpyr

[This message has been edited by grumpyr (edited 10-20-2000).]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"

#97583 - 10/20/00 10:22 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
SteelyBob Offline
Parr

Loc: Everett
Here's the River's Inlet Knot (a.k.a. a double clinch knot) shown step-by-step as tied on the following web page: http://www.steelheader.net/knots/double_clinch.htm
When properly tied and trimmed you'll have three tag ends. If I'm splitshoting...I'll put it on one of the tag ends and if the shot hangs up in the rocks...it just pulls off and leaves my leader to drift free.

#97584 - 10/20/00 11:17 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
Hammer Bob Offline
Fry

Loc: Yolo, Ca. USA
Hey AKKings, Out of all the costs for going fishing the price of line is one of the most inconsequencial ones. I use Fusion for all my fishing (well most of it anyway) and do get two years out of it. On the second year I spool it onto another reel so the protected inside layer is now the outside. Since these lines have no memory no problem. At the end of two years I feel better with new line...cheap insurance to me! However, blood knots in the middle of lines are a far cry from knots at the terminal swivels where all the action is. In my experience these spots take abuse from bottom structure and should be re-tied at least at the beginning of every fishing day...maybe even after a particularly nasty hangup or big fish which may have stressed the knot. Granted the post quoting the guide did not indicate which knots or what type of knots where not re-tied for three years. You conclude it is the bloodknot splices...I conclude it is at the terminal tackle. For a guide not to re-tie the knots at the leader and swivel before every trip to me is lazy. Whenever I have fished with a guide I re-tie all the knots myself before we start fishing. I just don't believe that they get re-tied everyday and I don't want to put a damper on a trip by knot failure...unless it was one I tied myself! Whatever if a guide told me he hasn't re-tied his knots for three years I would not be impressed...other than to think he doesn't get many clients, or he was to cheap to replace the line or to lazy to re-tie the knots...my $0.02 worth.

Knots I use palomar and double improved clinch.

[This message has been edited by Hammer Bob (edited 10-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Hammer Bob (edited 10-20-2000).]

#97585 - 10/20/00 11:42 PM Re: Ok, we have talked, hooks and line....what about Knots?
DanO Offline
Smolt

Loc: anadromous, pacific,n.w.
I like to use the palomar knot, whenever possible- 100% strength of the line, and quick to tie. A good book on the subject, is Tying Strong Fishing Knots, by B. Herzog, many others out there, can't think of them right now.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (OLD FB), 216 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |