Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#976041 - 04/06/17 11:02 AM Re: WDFW Leadership [Re: Salmo g.]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.

Since commercial fishing brings in less than 3% of the Department's budget, this could be a golden opportunity for the Department to close hatcheries that primarily produce salmon for BC and the small NT commercial fleets in GH, WB, and LCR. The Department should spend no more on commercial fishing than commercial fishing contributes to the Department, unless the Legislature chooses to provide GF $ to subsidize welfare fishing. That could alleviate most, if not all, of the projected budget shortfall.

+1

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#976046 - 04/06/17 11:39 AM Re: WDFW Leadership [Re: Lucky Louie]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Quote:
Since commercial fishing brings in less than 3% of the Department's budget, this could be a golden opportunity for the Department to close hatcheries that primarily produce salmon for BC and the small NT commercial fleets in GH, WB, and LCR. The Department should spend no more on commercial fishing than commercial fishing contributes to the Department, unless the Legislature chooses to provide GF $ to subsidize welfare fishing. That could alleviate most, if not all, of the projected budget shortfall.

It is a interesting concept but it does not come without consequences. Reduce the number of hatchery fish in the ocean pool and impacts on natural production will rise rapidly but it takes 3 years to show and 4 & 5 ( Chinook ) to really kick in. So you end up with the old problem of intercept fisheries being at the root of any changes. There are a couple of places in our state that if you take out hatchery production both Rec and NT Commercials are history with a vastly diminished tribal catch all that is left.

So the argument that is the hatcheries or Rec fisher that are the problem is not exactly true but absolutely true depending on your location.

On another note Willapa has Rec priority so that is a bit off BUT WDF&W staff keep trying to chip away at that so right / wrong at the same time. As to GH the NT Commercial impacts are limited by policy but as in Willapa games are played some but nuthin like elsewhere. I will stay out of the LCR bit as I know little but again reduce the ocean pool without reform to AK & BC and nothing good happens.

#976047 - 04/06/17 11:49 AM Re: WDFW Leadership [Re: The Moderator]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#976056 - 04/06/17 02:35 PM Re: WDFW Leadership [Re: The Moderator]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

‘The powers to be’----have spoken.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news...gn=RSS_politics

Gov. Jay Inslee’s handling of nominations for a federal fishery-council seat has come under attack from the leaders of major North Pacific fishing-industry groups, which have taken the unusual step of sending a complaint letter to the U.S. Secretary of Commerce.

In their letter sent Tuesday, they asked Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross to reject Inslee’s nominations and called for the governor to come up with some new names for a seat on the council. The industry backlash reflects the high stakes in fish politics, where the federal fishery council helps sets the rules for a billion-dollar groundfish harvest, much of which is caught and processed by Seattle-based companies.

#976061 - 04/06/17 04:06 PM Re: WDFW Leadership [Re: The Moderator]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Well, at Least Inslee's recommendations are for more selective longliners. No matter what gear they favor, I'm sure they'll still manage to harvest over half our fish before they see the Lower 48. If that entails less bycatch and a healthier ocean floor, I guess we had better take it.

#976066 - 04/06/17 04:45 PM Re: WDFW Leadership [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie
‘The powers to be’----have spoken.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news...gn=RSS_politics

Gov. Jay Inslee’s handling of nominations for a federal fishery-council seat has come under attack from the leaders of major North Pacific fishing-industry groups, which have taken the unusual step of sending a complaint letter to the U.S. Secretary of Commerce.

In their letter sent Tuesday, they asked Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross to reject Inslee’s nominations and called for the governor to come up with some new names for a seat on the council. The industry backlash reflects the high stakes in fish politics, where the federal fishery council helps sets the rules for a billion-dollar groundfish harvest, much of which is caught and processed by Seattle-based companies.

If the powers to be like to stack the deck, then what would happen if say a director of WDFW was appointed that wasn’t an “Ocean Guy”? eek2

"Ocean Guy" definition:

One that protects the integrity of commercial ocean fisheries, with a sprinkling of just enough sport for aesthetic value, while throwing anadromous state fisheries under the bus.

Edited by Lucky Louie (04/06/17 05:03 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |