Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#976210 - 04/11/17 01:43 PM 2017 NOF Puget Sound results
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Quick update since I dont have more time today....I am attaching a matrix that *should* represent our PS Marine and river Salmon seasons this year. Our final Advisor Conf call occurred this morning with the state and they said the deal was done, and ready to be signed off around noon today.

Keeping it pretty high level, Stillaguamish and Skagit Coho abundance greatly impacted our access to both Coho and Chinook between areas 5-9 this year.

We got back 3 days in Elliott Bay for Chinook, and two-three additional weekends for Coho and Pinks in EB.

The Skokomish access issue was not resolved.

We should have a 5509 Chinook Quota in 9, and a 2166 quota in 10, which represent twice what we had last year. I'd expect a month long 2 fish limit in both areas.

As you can see from the matrix, Coho fishing in central sound will only occur from the northern MA10 line south. The Salmon for Soldiers event, and Coho derbies will be required to fish in MA 10 if they are to proceed.

We lost the C&R fishery in MA 10 n June, which is a big blow!

There were significant impacts to the winter fisheries that will impact area blackmouth derbies this year.

All in all, given the preseason forecast limitations we had to work within, I am pleased with the outcome.

If you have any questions fire away and I'll respond later.

#976213 - 04/11/17 02:24 PM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: Sky-Guy]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
S-G,
If I'm reading this correctly.....
MA 9 opens July 16th rather then July 1st this year.
Shore based only from August 16th through maybe Labor Day, then it closes.
It that correct?
There was talk of a shore based only through September season in MA 9.
Did that get blown out?
Thanks,
SF

#976219 - 04/11/17 03:31 PM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: stonefish]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: stonefish
S-G,
If I'm reading this correctly.....
MA 9 opens July 16th rather then July 1st this year.
Shore based only from August 16th through maybe Labor Day, then it closes.
It that correct?
There was talk of a shore based only through September season in MA 9.
Did that get blown out?
Thanks,
SF

I heard the same thing? So what happened?

#976221 - 04/11/17 04:07 PM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: Sky-Guy]
Cozmo Offline
Smolt

Loc: Ballard, Wa
What a bunch of BS. If we're not getting a Skok fishery again, then North of Ayock point in Hood Canal should be opened July 1st(or whenever South of Ayock opens) so that people are able to target that surplus of hatchery fish.

Edited by Cozmo (04/11/17 04:10 PM)

#976223 - 04/11/17 05:00 PM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: Sky-Guy]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

It sure would be nice if the last NOF meetings of the year would be held at regional locations after agreed fisheries between the state and tribal co-managers are approved by the Pacific Fisheries Management Council.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#976233 - 04/11/17 09:22 PM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: Sky-Guy]
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
Wtf we are getting screwed in area 6!!! That is [Bleeeeep!]

#976235 - 04/11/17 10:35 PM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: Sky-Guy]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Thank you for your fish!!

#976239 - 04/12/17 07:32 AM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: Sky-Guy]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

I can see how if you live in Seattle you'd think the deal was pretty good, considering the forecast. But those of us that fish the strait and san juans are getting the shaft pretty hard.

I know there are all sorts of technical reasons why we are getting the shaft, but my [Bleeeeep!] detector is going nuts. Closing these waters for a FULL QUARTER of the year when they are literally TEEMING with hatchery fish that WE PAID FOR makes ZERO SENSE.

And I even know what the response will be, "just be happy that July, January and March aren't closed too". And to that I say, [Bleeeeep!] you.

I am obviously really [Bleeeeep!] pissed. this is as raw a deal coming out of NOF as I have seen thus far. Every year we go in thinking [Bleeeeep!] is going to go better, but it only gets worse. And I even "got involved" this year. Lotta good that does.

I don't expect fish to appear out of thin air, but I do expect to be able to SELECTIVELY target the plentiful fin-clipped fish that we pay for. We're not fighting over the last fish here.

#976241 - 04/12/17 08:46 AM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Chasin' Baitman
I can see how if you live in Seattle you'd think the deal was pretty good, considering the forecast. But those of us that fish the strait and san juans are getting the shaft pretty hard.

I know there are all sorts of technical reasons why we are getting the shaft, but my [Bleeeeep!] detector is going nuts. Closing these waters for a FULL QUARTER of the year when they are literally TEEMING with hatchery fish that WE PAID FOR makes ZERO SENSE.

And I even know what the response will be, "just be happy that July, January and March aren't closed too". And to that I say, [Bleeeeep!] you.

I am obviously really [Bleeeeep!] pissed. this is as raw a deal coming out of NOF as I have seen thus far. Every year we go in thinking [Bleeeeep!] is going to go better, but it only gets worse. And I even "got involved" this year. Lotta good that does.

I don't expect fish to appear out of thin air, but I do expect to be able to SELECTIVELY target the plentiful fin-clipped fish that we pay for. We're not fighting over the last fish here.

The tribes are laughing all the way to the bank.

#976258 - 04/12/17 01:34 PM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: ]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
agree

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#976278 - 04/12/17 07:25 PM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: Sky-Guy]
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Please show us the Foreign Nations within Washington seasons and lol quota's.

#976302 - 04/13/17 12:10 PM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: Sky-Guy]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Sure glad "salmon enhancement" is going so swimmingly.

#976304 - 04/13/17 12:25 PM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: Sky-Guy]
barnettm Offline
Spawner

Loc: Maple Valley, Wa.
MA 5 and MA 6 winter fisheries got a major screwing. I know they had a good year this year. WDFW wants to throttle that back. They are always talking about poor runs, but then freak out when there is a good run and people actually catch fish. All those local Port Angeles guys should riot !!

#976308 - 04/13/17 12:40 PM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: Sky-Guy]
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
I really want to hope that since were shutting everything down in 8-1 & 8-2 that we won't see any gillnetting in the Stilly or Skagit, but I'm a dreamer.

BD

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#976355 - 04/16/17 05:39 AM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: Sky-Guy]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

A couple of links regarding Puget Sound salmon seasons

The Herald story written by Chris Winters

http://www.heraldnet.com/news/another-lean-year-for-coho-but-some-positive-signs/

"A limited shore-based fishery for hatchery coho will be allowed at Possession Point on Whidbey Island from Aug. 1 through Labor Day, he said, and the “Tulalip Bubble” just off Tulalip Bay will be open to normal chinook and coho fishing starting May 26.

The mouth of the Snohomish River opens Aug. 1 for both hatchery and wild coho and pinks, and mandatory release of chinook and chum. The limit is three salmon total."

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/2017/summary_puget_sound.pdf
"Marine areas 8-1 and 8-2: Both areas will open to fishing for hatchery chinook in November.

However, anglers in Marine Area 8-2 can fish from the shore for hatchery coho Aug. 1 through Sept. 4."

Edited by Lucky Louie (04/16/17 05:54 AM)

#976378 - 04/18/17 04:03 PM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: Lucky Louie]
hybridcx Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: sequim, Wa
wow we really got bent over in MA6 this year.

#976391 - 04/19/17 01:58 PM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: hybridcx]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: hybridcx
wow we really got bent over in MA6 this year.

That really doesn’t come as a surprise with the tribal saltwater march west from Seattle to the ocean beginning with the closure of the Elliot bubble some years back to the closure of Area 10 with reductions of allocation in area 9/ 10 all varying over past years.

Area 6 turn would be next up in that westerly flow to the ocean.

Comparing Area 6 to Area 9 this year, Area 6 is open July 1 to August 15 open 15 days more this summer than area 9.

Area 6 Blackmouth fishing did take a big hit and does fall way short of Area 9.

#976394 - 04/19/17 02:54 PM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: Lucky Louie]
hybridcx Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: sequim, Wa
I could care less personally about summer kings in the straits, we have had the same king season for a while. I'm talking about the loss of fall Coho fishing September and October, as well as winter BM.

#976399 - 04/19/17 07:18 PM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: hybridcx]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

There are similar stories throughout various Puget Sound Marine areas as the years pass by.

The “Ocean Guys” and gals that sit on boards and committees/work groups within various commissions and councils seem to think it is alright to use Puget Sound Coho and ESA listed Chinook for that matter as collateral damage when harvesting salmon in mixed stock ocean fisheries, while fisheries in Puget Sound continue to get poorer.

As long as various Puget Sound salmon stocks can’t be caught in Puget Sound then it should make perfectly good sense that these same salmon stocks should not be caught in the Ocean. doh

Edited by Lucky Louie (04/19/17 07:36 PM)

#976406 - 04/20/17 09:11 AM Re: 2017 NOF Puget Sound results [Re: Sky-Guy]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Lucky Louie -

To your point; in the 6 most recent WDFW sport catch reports (2010 to 2015) the average annual estimate salmon effort in the State's marine waters was 530,000 angler trips of which 88,000 were in the ocean (includes Grays harbor). That 88,000 ocean trips represents 16.6% of the total effort.

A note of caution the following is my interpretation of the latest model run that I have seen (4/11). There may have been a last minute fisheries change that I'm not aware of or I may have gotten a detail or two wrong but I suspect that the bottom line that a significant portion of the impacts (nearly twice impact share than the portion of total effort) for those ocean fisheries.

One of the most constraining salmon stocks limiting Puget Sound fishing in 2017 was the Stillaguamish wild coho. That most recent model run indicates 31.6% of the recreational impacts on that coho stock will occur in the ocean which of course results in more limited PS opportunity.

Of course the potential recreational fisheries were further limited by an approximate 50/50 split of the non-treaty impacts between the non-treaty commercial fisheries (this in spite of Commission Policy of making recreational fishing for PS coho a priority). The whole mess is further compounded with what appears to be a 20.5% of the wild Stillaguamish coho impacts in non-treaty fisheries.

Curt

Edited by Smalma (04/20/17 09:13 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1078 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645298 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |