LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#976227 - 04/11/17 06:21 PM LET'S GO FISHIN!
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Ryley's got Puget Sound covered

I'll kick off with ocean rules for Westport:

Queets River to Leadbetter Point (Westport Subarea)

July 1 through earlier of September 4 or 15,540 marked coho subarea quota with a subarea guideline of 21,400 Chinook (C.5).

Seven days per week.

All salmon; two fish per day, no more than one of which can be a Chinook.

All coho must be marked with a healed adipose fin clip (C.1).

See gear restrictions and definitions (C.2, C.3). Grays Harbor Control Zone closed beginning August 14 (C.4.b).

Inseason management may be used to sustain season length and keep harvest within the overall Chinook and coho recreational TACs for north of Cape Falcon (C.5).

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#976228 - 04/11/17 06:25 PM Re: LET'S GO FISHIN! [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Official WDFW news release here...

http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/apr1117b/

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#976252 - 04/12/17 12:25 PM Re: LET'S GO FISHIN! [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Disclaimer: My opinion of this rule does not impact my desire to participate in ocean fisheries. Despite some level of personal conflict, if you invite me on the ocean and the weather's at least marginal, I'm there, for all the same reasons you are. That said:

I cringe every time I see that hatchery-only ocean reg. I understand it's the easiest way to get ocean fisheries without exceeding ESA impacts (on paper), but in reality, I'd be amazed to find that more endangered coho don't die under this regulation than would if they just let you bonk your first two salmon (regardless of species/origin) and then start bottom fishing.

The selective, mixed bag leads to a lot of anglers staying out there longer, trying to find that last fish to round out their limits. I know for fact that folks will catch and release unclipped coho all day long (many of which will die) looking for that last king or hatch coho. That makes for good fun, but not so good conservation practice.

But heck yeah! Let's go fishing! I only hook perfect URBs and giant, hatchery coho, so you definitely want me aboard!

#976254 - 04/12/17 01:06 PM Re: LET'S GO FISHIN! [Re: FleaFlickr02]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
I'd be amazed to find that more endangered coho don't die under this regulation than would if they just let you bonk your first two salmon (regardless of species/origin)

I've observed this to be true in my fishing and heard it from many others. Does WDFW data show otherwise? I also understand it flies in the face of Mark Selective Hatchery justification for many of our opportunities.

That said, like you, I'm looking forward to a fun summer on the coast!

#976288 - 04/13/17 06:13 AM Re: LET'S GO FISHIN! [Re: eyeFISH]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
eyefish -

Any details on the Willapa Bay recreational fishery in the salt?

Curt

#976291 - 04/13/17 08:12 AM Re: LET'S GO FISHIN! [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Still hammering that one out.

Last proposal that was modeled before the public rolled over last years rec season, zeroed out commercial time in 2T and 2U and virtually all the rest of the days "selective gear".

There are other proposals that have been suggested to curtail rec for more comm opportunity but I haven't seen the model runs on those to date.

Grays Harbor is set to run with a 2 fish bag with only ONE wild coho, release all chinook

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#976293 - 04/13/17 08:56 AM Re: LET'S GO FISHIN! [Re: eyeFISH]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
In talking with my charter fleet fishermen, there will be a push to allow for a 2 king retention in area 2. They are worried that with such a small coho quota will leave some kings on the table. They are still recovering from last year's season, or effectively a lack of one. They figure it will shut down first or second week of August.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#976294 - 04/13/17 09:04 AM Re: LET'S GO FISHIN! [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The only way it lasts at Westport is if there is a cooperative effort between charters and private recs to lay off the coho.... FREELY sharing info about where the kings are to AVOID coho.

Hopefully this will be a year that the coho stay way out in 300+ ft of water and the kings are closer in.

If you are in an area where most of your (and neighboring boats) encounters are coho..... MOVE!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#976295 - 04/13/17 09:30 AM Re: LET'S GO FISHIN! [Re: eyeFISH]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
The only way it lasts at Westport is if there is a cooperative effort between charters and private recs to lay off the coho.... FREELY sharing info about where the kings are to AVOID coho.

Hopefully this will be a year that the coho stay way out in 300+ ft of water and the kings are closer in.

If you are in an area where most of your (and neighboring boats) encounters are coho..... MOVE!

That is their plan. Stay off the coho. It isn't like you can miss where the charters are at when out on the water.

#976296 - 04/13/17 10:08 AM Re: LET'S GO FISHIN! [Re: Dogfish]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: Dogfish

That is their plan. Stay off the coho. It isn't like you can miss where the charters are at when out on the water.

I don't fish the ocean at all BUT do you think the charters will be willing to share where the Chinook are???????

To share any water/knowledge with others, is tough for "some fishermen" to do !!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#976297 - 04/13/17 10:21 AM Re: LET'S GO FISHIN! [Re: eyeFISH]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Sharing lies is easy.

#976303 - 04/13/17 12:21 PM Re: LET'S GO FISHIN! [Re: eyeFISH]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

I call my charter operators and they will give me the general area where to concentrate on fishing. Of course, my situation is a bit different than yours, so you may not be getting the same information. I never ask for a specific GPS coordinate, just a rough heading, depth, and distance.

The charters will not specifically be targeting silvers this year. Targeting silvers will result in a MUCH shorter season for them, and less income for them. They wish to have the season go out as long as possible, so they will be targeting kings.

They will be in contact with the trollers, who will let them know where the kings are, and they be fishing out there. Kind of hard to hide a pack of 50' Delta-Delta's and Uniflites on the open ocean. If you see a pack of charter boats out there with bags flying, you might want to fish that general area. Just give them a few hundred yards or so of room. Don't be "that guy".

Then again, it's always much more productive to come up with conspiracy theories, so keep going there. That'll serve you well.

#976310 - 04/13/17 01:07 PM Re: LET'S GO FISHIN! [Re: eyeFISH]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Sharing lies is easy.
They lie to each other all the time.
Of course what do I know.........................I used to be one.

#976348 - 04/14/17 07:28 PM Re: LET'S GO FISHIN! [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Grays Harbor is set to run with a 2 fish bag with only ONE wild coho, release all chinook

After the final NOF meeting discussing GH, I can confirm that this is what the state intends to print in the reg book:

Grays Harbor is set to run Sep 16 - Nov 30 with a 2 fish bag, ONE wild coho, release ALL chinook

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#976351 - 04/15/17 03:01 PM Re: LET'S GO FISHIN! [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

After the final NOF meeting discussing GH, I can confirm that this is what the state intends to print in the reg book:

Grays Harbor is set to run Sep 16 - Nov 30 with a 2 fish bag, ONE wild coho, release ALL chinook

Well that is MOSTLY true but August 1 - September 15, Daily limit 6, NO ADULTS, from mouth(101 bridge in Aberdeen) to either S. Elma bridge or Porter. Upper deadline were both talked about, just not sure which it will be.

Edited by DrifterWA (04/15/17 03:06 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 433 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |