Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#976955 - 05/12/17 05:32 PM Pebble Mine can apply for federal permit
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

https://www.adn.com/politics/2017/05/12/...d-mine-company/

"The Environmental Protection Agency has settled an ongoing lawsuit with the Pebble Limited Partnership and says the company can apply for a federal permit for its proposed massive gold and copper mine in the Bristol Bay watershed."

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#976957 - 05/12/17 07:16 PM Re: Pebble Mine can apply for federal permit [Re: Lucky Louie]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

GDITMMM!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#976958 - 05/12/17 08:00 PM Re: Pebble Mine can apply for federal permit [Re: Lucky Louie]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
If you voted for Trump, you have no one to blame but yourself !!!!!!

I'm sure there will be more environmental negatives signed before we can get him "out of office"....

Edited by DrifterWA (05/12/17 08:16 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#976959 - 05/12/17 09:50 PM Re: Pebble Mine can apply for federal permit [Re: Lucky Louie]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Agree Drifter. He's doing just what he said he would. No complaints by the supporters unless he hasn't gone far enough.

#976960 - 05/12/17 10:46 PM Re: Pebble Mine can apply for federal permit [Re: DrifterWA]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
If you voted for Trump, you have no one to blame but yourself !!!!!!

I'm sure there will be more environmental negatives signed before we can get him "out of office"....

No words on this one tonight.....OK> Anti-Christ! Sad............Damn SAD! mad

#976963 - 05/13/17 11:43 AM Re: Pebble Mine can apply for federal permit [Re: OLD FB]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Quote:
He's doing just what he said he would. No complaints by the supporters unless he hasn't gone far enough.

More or less true I think as few tracking polls are around that are not biased. That said one pollster did one that did not get blow back and did not show on TV much. Right now if the Don & Hill had a redo it is about 53% Don and 47% Hill ( no 3rd party ) electoral vote about the same which says CM is right those who voted for have not moved just mostly the left have a total hair on fire experience.

As to fish and enviro laws things are screwed up a bit. Remember the DOE standards for PS that we cannot be meet? Oil in rail tankers blowing up because it is shipped by rail without a pipeline. The list goes on but in this carbon thing which is a issue but by getting rid of production of things such as Moly by huge enviro laws which drives the prices outside world market prices thus we import it. Now the main source on Moly is China WHICH HAVE VERY POOR enviro laws. So we try to remove risk for ourselves and in turn dump on the natural order world wide. Kinda a NIMBY thing.

So for AK or CA or even Puget Sound here just what damage to the PLANET are we willing to except for our zero risk desires. You know cheap is not always the best way to go. One planet and fixing ourselves and feeling good about it while ignoring the damage this policy causes in around the world as others dash to supply our demands is likely more than a little short sided.

Edited by Rivrguy (05/13/17 11:45 AM)

#976964 - 05/13/17 12:04 PM Re: Pebble Mine can apply for federal permit [Re: Lucky Louie]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Like Rivrguy says, lets protect our forests and watersheds so they can produce salmon, steelhead, Spotted Owls, and so on. Great idea. We'll just **ck somebody else's forests to get our wood.

We talk (at least some folks do) about living "sustainably". Anybody doing that? With 100% of your needs coming off of you land? Or, as a city like Seattle or Portland. Get all your needs from within your city limits? Because if you don't, you're screwing somebody else over to support you.

#976980 - 05/15/17 02:47 PM Re: Pebble Mine can apply for federal permit [Re: Lucky Louie]
GoldDigger Offline
Returning Adult

Hey all, please do not lump all gold miners into the same category as these Pebble Mine idiots.

I've had lengthy discussions on several forums for small-scale gold miners, and as a group we are NOT in support of this project.

In our opinion, there is such a risk of serious environmental damage to the entire region that "the cheese ain't worth the squeeze". Just because you have the capability to mine those copper and gold values does not mean it's a wise thing to do.

Note that the article states: "...can apply for a federal permit", but that does not guarantee it will be approved.

I've found that once you explain to people how Bristol Bay and the adjacent watersheds are so critical to the entire region, and then explain to them the risks associated with the actual mining of that material it changes their tune, and they will not support it.

Maybe our voice can help. Where can these small-scale miners send an email supporting the denial of the permit?

Edited by GoldDigger (05/15/17 02:49 PM)

#976984 - 05/15/17 11:57 PM Re: Pebble Mine can apply for federal permit [Re: GoldDigger]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

GoldDigger,

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/seattle-...oject/522102586

Senator Cantwell is on record stating she is going to look for legislative solutions regarding the mine. Maybe an email written to encourage and support her in those endeavors might not hurt. Thanks.

https://www.cantwell.senate.gov/contact/email/form

#977882 - 06/23/17 10:41 AM Re: Pebble Mine can apply for federal permit [Re: Lucky Louie]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

#977888 - 06/23/17 01:56 PM Re: Pebble Mine can apply for federal permit [Re: Rivrguy]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
[quote]
As to fish and enviro laws things are screwed up a bit. Remember the DOE standards for PS that we cannot be meet? Oil in rail tankers blowing up because it is shipped by rail without a pipeline. The list goes on but in this carbon thing which is a issue but by getting rid of production of things such as Moly by huge enviro laws which drives the prices outside world market prices thus we import it. Now the main source on Moly is China WHICH HAVE VERY POOR enviro laws. So we try to remove risk for ourselves and in turn dump on the natural order world wide. Kinda a NIMBY thing.

NIMBY? Well, while I agree with your observations one thing you left out is that given the prevailing atmospheric winds China is our back yard.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 870 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645358 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |