Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97717 - 10/13/00 04:36 PM Chums in the salt
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
Was going to take the trophy out to go after silvers with flashers and riggers. My questions is will a silver set-up work for chums in the salt, or do you need a slower presentation, such as cut-plug? What do you use to catch chums in the salt, when trolling?----mike

#97718 - 10/14/00 12:16 AM Re: Chums in the salt
Aerofly Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle
I know when using a cut plugged herring on a bobber works great in the salt water with the leader about 6 to 8 feet. Never trolled for them but I would think if you did troll go slow , my guess. Good luck !

#97719 - 10/14/00 01:39 AM Re: Chums in the salt
ReiterRat Offline
Gearhead

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Kore,
The silver set up will catch the occasional
Chum Dog,but if you really want to target them, fish your solid glow green Hot Spots or better yet,the glow green splatter F4 Piscator by Silver Horde.Use the dark purple or chartreuse 3.5 squid behind it,looong leader 36 to 42 inches.Troll Slooow,you just want that flasher to slip-slide back and forth,try to not even get a roll.50 to 60 foot depths is usually money.I don't know where you are fishing,but Pt.No Pt,Eglon and Apple Tree are good bets.If you run herring behind a dodger or flasher,fish the smallest whole herring you can get your hands on.Good luck.

#97720 - 10/14/00 02:48 AM Re: Chums in the salt
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
Have caught a few on cut-plugs. Ditto the above on a chart squid.

#97721 - 10/14/00 10:33 AM Re: Chums in the salt
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: port angeles wa.
The Hot Spot flasher works and silver with chartreuse or green is best, tail leaders are dependent on how much control you have over the trolling speed of your vessel. The post are all leaning in the right direction in that slow is the key to successful chum harvest. Likewise they all said to go small I find this to also to be good advice and would suggest only that you take it a little further and use a bare hook or if you can't get your mind around that then take any hoochie and cutoff 3 or 4 of the legs and and with wire or kevlar thread lash the legs to the hook The entire lure need be no longer than the length of a 5/0 siwash hook. Hope this helps you get some chums when they are a long way from the maddening crowds.
Oh by the way if you are using a downrigger snap your gear on about a fathom apart the more the better take as many as your boat will carry schooling chums like lots of flashers you can actually get the entire school to follow you on a straight tack if your speed is right

#97722 - 10/16/00 02:48 AM Re: Chums in the salt
kore Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Carson, WA
Thanks for the replies,

I haven't had a chance to try those methods yet. I went out saturday, out of Everett, near the naval base. Got a few feeder kings which were released, and a coho. Using hot spot/hoochie fast troll. Will try to target chums next week-end. My guess is the banks just west of possesion bar. Just want to hook into a few fighters without the crowds. I'll probably try the slower troll with a glow hot spot and small chartruese flies?? Who knows I'll let you know----mike

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 586 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645370 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |