Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97760 - 10/14/00 12:38 AM YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
NewZealand Offline
Fry

I finished about 3/4 of my steelhead dinner tonight. Decided that I was done after finding a worm in the meat. The fish was caught in the Tucannon River Monday.

I have found worms in my steelhead before, but only in fish from the Tucannon. I've probably kept around 75 steelhead from other rivers abd have never noticed a worm in any of those. I'd just like to know if wormy steelhead are a Tucannon River thing, or if others have caught wormy steelhead on other rivers.

My guess is that the worms get into the fish in the ocean. I have found the worms in both the meat and the body cavity. The worms aren't very big, but they sure gross me out!

#97761 - 10/14/00 12:48 AM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
wiggle wart Offline
Fry

Loc: Vancouver WA. USA
I have noticed in the fall that some of the coastal silvers that i catch have some kind of parasite that enters their skin on the outside. It appears that they have "bumps" on their skin. I have kept these fish and even eaten them.....with none of these parasites entering farther than the skin layer of the fish. I just skin the fish after i fillet it and it is fine for the table. Its hard to get a chrome bright hen ...take the eggs and waste the fish. So I tried it and have never been sick or seen any in the meat....this goes for any fish that I have eaten. Never in the meat...I WOULD THINK THAT WOULD GROSS ME OUT TOO!!

#97762 - 10/14/00 01:36 AM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
Hammer Bob Offline
Fry

Loc: Yolo, Ca. USA
Parasites are pretty common in fish....of all species. some get infested more than others but for the most part the parasites go unnoticed. Hey it's just protein as long as the fish is cooked properly no problem! I bet some people could tell stories about what comes out of their fish when the are brining and smoking.

#97763 - 10/14/00 01:39 AM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
I have found inch-long round worms in the flesh of Lake Washington sockeyes, and Cedar and Green River steelhead. First noticed them on fillets after refrigerating them overnight. Also, have found them in cooked/smoked fish when flaking it apart. They may migrate into the flesh from the intestine when the fish stops feeding. First time I found these worms, I almost stopped feeding! Now, I just cook the fish thoroughly, don't look too closely at it, and drink lots of wine with the meal

#97764 - 10/14/00 02:43 AM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
The little roundworms, a.k.a. "codworms," don't bother me any. I've found them in all types of salmon and steelhead that I've eaten. Also, I've found the skin rash prevalent on silvers is merely cosmetic and does not affect the eating, that is of course assuming that the fish has been skinned prior to consumption. What grosses me out is the white globule-like organism that infests kings and silvers, sometimes so badly it relegates the entire fish into crabbait.

#97765 - 10/14/00 04:11 AM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

The last fish worm infestation I encountered where those little worms that are rolled up in the flesh and when picked out they uncoil and are about an inch long. The were in a dog salmon I was brining for smoking. What the heck, there's gross stuff in almost all of our food. Some things you see and others you don't. Have you ever seen those things that look like tumors in beef? Even becoming a vegetarian won't get you away from it. One time while visiting my mom for dinner I thought her home grown broccoli tasted funny. After eating about half of a big serving I noticed a generous portion of little green grubs mixed in. I don't think any of these things will hurt you if its cooked, they just don't look good.

#97766 - 10/15/00 12:12 AM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
EricW Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Aberdeen,WA
OK everyone, time for fish parasites 101!

Most salmonids carry worms. If one knows where to look....they may be found fairly consistently. I offer the following not to gross you out but to merely inform.

Let's take a salmon or steelhead fillet. Just under the skin you have a thin, grayish-tan layer of meat that is known biologically as "red meat". Then, you have the actual red flesh we all love which is actually known as "white meat". If one takes their fork and flakes apart a cooked fillet you will notice long, white, stringy worms between the 2 meat layers. It's common, most of us don't know it when we eat it and....as stated earlier, it's just protein. Good eating!

#97767 - 10/15/00 12:05 PM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
hogtide Offline
Alevin

Loc: warren, Or.
I was filleting a big Columbia River King salmon this fall and noticed some round white globules in the meat. They were about the size of a marble,maybe a bit bigger. I cut out the first couple, but as I searched found that the entire fish was laced with these semi-solid sacks. First time I'd seen such a parasite.YUUUUUUK!!!! Tilled that entire fish into the side acre. Any biologist types know what that one might be ?

#97768 - 10/16/00 12:22 PM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
Bruce(Coho@TheRefuge) Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bothell, WA, USA
We C&R'd some chums this weekend that had 1 1/2" long black worms just covering the gills. Were they leeches or somthing else?

If you don't like eating worms don't look at your fish'n chips.

#97769 - 10/16/00 02:21 PM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: port angeles wa.
The little worms under the blisters are what we layfishers refer to as sea lice. You would not believe the number of worms you can encounter on an Alaskan pink salmon. Its common for the pinks to have so many sea lice that the skin is gone in 15 to 20% of there body area and the sea lice are klinging to just about everything but the fins.
Flat worms are another parasite that is fairly common but usually in the gut and I don"t actually remember seeing any in the flesh.
Those little round worms that are in a spiral really gross me the worst, the most that I've ever seen were in Pacific true cod which when you get right down to it is a pretty gross animal in its own right!
I don't care to eat fish that is overcooked but I make dam sure if its raw its had the lime or lemon treatment like the Mexicans do. Don't really no if it kills all the parasites but I don't do raw all yhay often but re. parasites I'm pretty sure once is all you need to really screw up.

#97770 - 10/16/00 02:30 PM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
Stinkfoot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: White Salmon, WA
Gee, I was thinking about sushi for lunch but now...

#97771 - 10/16/00 03:04 PM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
Chip Goodhue Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap County
When I was in college I spent several summers on a swordfish harpoon boat fishing Georges Bank off teh east coast. Many swordfish were totally infested with worms; large (8"+) purple ones attached to the outside and often a dense population of long, white stringy ones in the meat. Even after the fish had been on ice in the hold for a week, the surface of the meat of some fish would literally crawl with severed worms when cut into steaks. I think these worms help give the swordfish the high fat content and unique texture!

#97772 - 10/18/00 11:32 PM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
NewZealand Offline
Fry

UG UG UG!!!!

Chip, you really ate from a fish that squirmed a week after being killed because of all the worms it was hosting?

#97773 - 10/19/00 09:27 AM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hey Chip did you get to throw the harpoons from the pulpit or did you just do cleaning and icing? Catching fish is always fun but I gotta think harpooning a big sword would be awsome.

#97774 - 10/19/00 03:54 PM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
The Chrome Offline
Alevin

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Ok,
Not to gross anyone out but I've got to share this story. Last year I caught a King off of Vashon Island. When I was cleaning it, my roomate noticed what looked like little tape worms in the intestines of the fish, but it was not in the meat. We didn't think it was a big deal...and maybe this is just total coincidence, but a month later I wake up to hear my roomate freaking out downstairs. He woke up to use the bathroom, and pulled 7 feet of tape worm out his ass-I'm not joking. The rest broke off and went back inside. He went to the doctor and got some medecine to kill the rest of it. No one else I know who ate the fish had any adverse effects, but from now on, if I see any tape worms, I'm not eating it!!

#97775 - 10/19/00 04:12 PM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
Doug Kelly Offline
Spawner

Loc: Bothell WA
come on chrome, you a funny guy, most everybody knows worms can't live in your stomach the acids kill them even if they were still alive after cooking, the only worm that i've heard of that you have to worry about is warm water worms that come from verry warm waters down south , at least thats what the artical i read said, it said salt water worms cannot survive in your stomach

#97776 - 10/19/00 06:18 PM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
SteelyBob Offline
Parr

Loc: Everett

#97777 - 10/19/00 08:59 PM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
Bruce(Coho@TheRefuge) Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Bothell, WA, USA
Heya The Chrome,
Be sure to take you buddy trout fishing. He'll bring the worms.

#97778 - 10/20/00 12:16 AM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
schitzo with a berkley Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: edgewood, wa........
when i was working in alaska a sockeye we had opened up had this big ole round tumor lookin thing it was about the size of a racket ball..freaky to me..anyone ever see these before and what are they? **schitzo**

#97779 - 10/20/00 12:15 PM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
Native son Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Schitzo, They are tumors and they are not uncommon. I have fond more in chinook and chums which I think addresses there longivity more than any thing. My theory the older the fish the more its chances to win the tumor lottery.
Not really sure how much of a hand polloution plays in the growth and development but I have seen studies that indicate a higher number in populations that are resident and adjacent to large pollouting industrial sites. Could be coincedental but then so could the rate of cancer victims down wind of Chernobyl.
Just an after thought the two canidates running for President one wants to gut the clean water and air act do you Vote there is still time to register and vote .

#97780 - 10/20/00 03:25 PM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
Hairball Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Lynnwood

#97781 - 10/20/00 09:24 PM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
CNR Offline
Fry

Loc: Snoqualmie
This testimony further demonstrates the benefits of catch and release practices.

#97782 - 10/20/00 10:07 PM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
Hammer Bob Offline
Fry

Loc: Yolo, Ca. USA
Native Son- a large percentage of salmon with tumors would be a BIG concern to me. They are realtively short-lived (3-5 yrs) when compared to other fish species. Age is certainly related to tumor incidence as is exposure to some classes of pollutants. To see a significant number of tumors (benign or malignant) would to me indicate that somewhere in early development these fish were possibly exposed to some real nasties...a lower frequency of tumor formation could certainly be genetic pre-disposition or "normal" for that race of fish.

#97783 - 10/21/00 06:51 PM Re: YUK!!!! - Wormy Steelhead
Flygirl Offline
Alevin

Loc: Woodinville,WA USA
Two of my favorite subjects, fishing and parasitology! Here's the scientifical version:

Fish tapeworm infestations are pretty much found wherever raw, pickled or undercooked freshwater fish is eaten by folks who caught the fish in lakes/streams where other infected folks/animals took a crap or there is some other source of raw sewage release.
It's found everywhere in N. America from Alaska to Florida, and includes the anadromous family of fish we all love so much, salmon and steelhead.

Released worm ova hatch into free-swimming larvae when they reach freshwater and continue to develop if consumed by small freshwater crustaceans within a couple days.
Then along comes a fish who dines on the larva-carrying crustacean, and the tapeworm larva then penetrates the musculature of the fish, forming elongated and INFECTIOUS larva.
It's when people eat mishandled, infected fish meat that they risk getting tapeworm (Diphyllobothrium latum). To protect yourself, you really need to thoroughly cook all salmon and freshwater fish; even when it is appropriately cooked, you can get tapeworms if you sample infected fish flesh during the preparation process. And for the sushi/sashimi lovers, better to freeze the fish at -10 degrees Celsius for at least 48 hours before chowing down.

Most infected people are asymptomatic, except for occasional stomach pain and cramping, puking, fatigue and weight loss--geez, who doesn't feel like that on occasion?!

I'm surprised at the roommate with the 7ft long butt noodle, usually it's only the eggs that come out in stool. Maybe he consumed something the worm did not like!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |