THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97853 - 10/15/00 11:56 PM best jigs for steelhead?
fishinutt Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma
what brand, color, and size jigs do you float for steelhead?

#97854 - 10/16/00 12:59 AM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
Monty Offline
Parr

Loc: Tacoma, WA
My favorite all-round jig is a 1/8th oz. Beau-Mac marabou. I've had the most success on winter-runs with the pink/white combo with a pink pearl head. If the water is a little on the colored side my second pick would be the all cerise one. For summer-runs the black/red combo with a black head does the trick or my second choice would be a dark purple. In heavier winter flows the 1/4 oz. ones do just fine. I do try a lot of other colors, sizes, and styles which work well especially on particular streams, but I think these are very consistant on any stream.

#97855 - 10/16/00 02:52 PM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
Harbor_Hog Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Grays Harbor
Fishinnut,
I can hook you up with some jigs, email me at answer@techline.com or call me at 1-360-538-1798.

Thanks,
Andy Matthews http://The_Steelhead_Solution.homestead.com

#97856 - 10/16/00 03:49 PM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I use Rainbow Jigs exclusively. They have a variety of sizes and colors with heavy wire hooks that hold steelhead and salmon. For summer fish red/pink has been hot lately, dark colors like blacks and purples work well also. For winter fish I like pink/white and white, orange can also be good. You can contact Rainbow Jigs at rainbowjigs@aol.com.

#97857 - 10/16/00 04:29 PM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
Stinkfoot Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: White Salmon, WA
Hate to sound like there's a broken record here, but I'll cast another vote for pink and white in the winter. I've used pink marabou with white rabbit, pink cactus chenille with a white rabbit tail, and pink cactus chenille with a small white rabbit tail and thick white rubber legs, all with good success. Good luck

#97858 - 10/16/00 04:56 PM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Don't count out using the clipped pink worm on a jighead. Make sure you've got strong hooks though. I like the heads I got from rainbow jigs.

B. Gray

#97859 - 10/16/00 05:06 PM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
Jigman Offline
Spawner

I'll 2nd the pink worm on a jighead, especially for native winter fish......they can't resist it.

#97860 - 10/16/00 09:29 PM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
Ryan Sedy Offline
Parr

Loc: Aberdeen, WA, USA
I have heard from a few fishermen on the Wynoochee that they have had no luck with jigs for winter run steelhead. They say the only thing that works for them is eggs and sandshrimp. Is it true that jigs arent very effective on the Nooch? and what about this pink worm?

Ryan Sedy

#97861 - 10/16/00 10:29 PM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
Jigman Offline
Spawner

I've had good luck for summer fish on the nooch with jigs but haven't tried winter fish there, but they have worked everywhere I have tried them for winter runs so they should work there.

#97862 - 10/16/00 11:03 PM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
steelhead addict Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: ridgefield WA 98642
I have been attempting a partial conversion to jigs. I bought a 6-10# 10' 6" lami rod and tried a few times during the summer. I had no luck but have heard jigs are a great way to catch fish. I tie flies ( that I never use ) so making jigs is kind of fun.
Anyone have a preference for scents on jigs?

What about paints or vinyl coatings for jig heads. I am looking for something ( preferably vinyl) in a chartreuse to make some jigs. Someone mentioned a while back of a company that sold vinyl coaatings, but I have lost the info.

I have experimented with a pink worm on a jig head as well. I have heard this is also a killer!

Anyone have any favorite knots for attaching leaders to jigs. I have used a rivers inlet knot in the past as well as a ( fly type ) turl knot.

#97863 - 10/16/00 11:28 PM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
Wog Offline
Alevin

Loc: Troutdale, Oregon
Jigs work great for summer steelhead. I usually use the 1/8 oz. size and fish solid colors like Black, Pink, Red or Purple. One technique that has worked well for me is after working a hole with a color for a while, I'll tie on a different color. Usually the first cast with that new color will produce a bobber down. I also try to vary jig depth every few casts. Sometimes this is all it takes to get a strike.
Good luck, Wog

#97864 - 10/17/00 02:09 AM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
Steelhead Addict,

Be careful with adding scents to jigs. By adding scents/oils to marabou, you will undoubtedly ruin the action that the water gives to the jig material. If you must add a scent to a jig for confidence reasons, try adding a little paste type scent to the lead head of the jig or use jigs with no marabou. If you can get the marabou undulating in the water in front of a steelhead, it will have a hard time not striking at it. Good luck.

DaveD

#97865 - 10/17/00 02:20 AM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Rather than add scent to jigs I prefer to tip them with bait when needed. A small chunk of prawn works well. A great knot for tying on jigs is the trilene Knot(I think it's called this) where you go through the eye of the jig twice and then basically tie a improved clinch knot from there going back through both loops at the eye.

#97866 - 10/17/00 07:28 AM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
that guy Offline
Fry

Loc: lacey
i use the poly not but leave the loop behind the head this holds the jig in the right possitoin. i use jigs for steelhead all year round and not at blue creek with at least a fish a trip.

#97867 - 10/17/00 10:01 AM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
TSG Offline
Alevin

Loc: Kennewick WA USA
I have to go with Jigman on this one. We Jig above the dams on the Snake and have good luck with Maribu's toped with shrimp. I guess I might need to try the White with pink Jig though. we use the Black with Purple or Pink and have Okay luck. It's allways good to mix things up and throw a new color in the bag.
Todd

#97868 - 10/17/00 01:19 PM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
HSL Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: seattle
B. Gray, when you say a "clipped pink worm," what exactly to you mean? Do you take a standard 4-inch worm and just clip it shorter?

Thanks. HSL

#97869 - 10/17/00 01:51 PM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

HSL - yup, that's pretty much it. I actually got the tip for that from jigman off this board. I don't like to leave a whole lot dangling off the end. I usually pinch off the top at the big band on the worm and slide it on from there leaving an inch or two dangling in the currrent. Working it through the seams has been excellent for me, especially on the nates. Please keep in mind that for me, any trip with a fish to the bank and no major brainfarts with my truck or gear is a good trip. I'm no expert.

#97870 - 10/17/00 02:18 PM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Ryan,

Anybody that claims jigs won't work on winter fish in the 'Nooch just doesn't know how to fish them. We had several multiple-fish days on the Nooch last winter, with one day bringing fish of 12, 14, 17, and 21 lbs. ALL on 1/8 oz marabou jigs.

I like the Beau-Mac 1/8 oz cerise or cerise/black marabou jigs. I also like the jigs Andy Matthews ties, and the ones from Glo-A-Bou jigs (he's a BB member here, too). If you fish them in appropriate water, at the appropriate depth ,jigs are as effective in the winter as they are in the summer. Try them on the Nooch this winter, you may be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Fish on.......

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#97871 - 10/17/00 02:35 PM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
B. Gray Offline
Spawner

At the risk of looking like the fool I am, where does "cerise" fall on the color scale? Pinkish? Orangeish?

#97872 - 10/17/00 03:12 PM Re: best jigs for steelhead?
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Cerise is hot pink. Can be an excellent color.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |