Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#979076 - 08/15/17 11:49 AM Steelhead part of punch Card
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
If you fish steelhead, and are lucky enough this year to fill the steelhead part of the punch card, check your card....I'm thinking 100% of the "Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Sport Catch Record Card", is short 2 numbers to record your catch......check your card---I've been waiting to see if WDFW put out a email notifying this error, nothing so far...

Ohhhhhh the numbers missing are #6 and # 21....

Bad enough the cost of these cards, then NOT get what you are paying for !!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Edited by DrifterWA (08/15/17 11:53 AM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#979077 - 08/15/17 12:08 PM Re: Steelhead part of punch Card [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
That's pretty creative on their part. Recently, they have all sorts of problems with the whole reg process and complying with the APA. They just figured a great way to reduce the possession limit with no fuss, no bother. Saves paper and ink, too. How can one not support such a cost-conscious move?

#979078 - 08/15/17 12:14 PM Re: Steelhead part of punch Card [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
If you fish steelhead, and are lucky enough this year to fill the steelhead part of the punch card, check your card....I'm thinking 100% of the "Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Sport Catch Record Card", is short 2 numbers to record your catch......check your card---I've been waiting to see if WDFW put out a email notifying this error, nothing so far...

Ohhhhhh the numbers missing are #6 and # 21....

Bad enough the cost of these cards, then NOT get what you are paying for !!!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Good eye, DW. Leave it to you to see $h!t like this.

I bet you must have a pretty good eye doctor wink

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#979079 - 08/15/17 12:23 PM Re: Steelhead part of punch Card [Re: DrifterWA]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

You catching em on Jigs?

#979080 - 08/15/17 01:55 PM Re: Steelhead part of punch Card [Re: DrifterWA]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

the mistake is on both punch cards smh... (olympic national park as well)

#979081 - 08/15/17 01:56 PM Re: Steelhead part of punch Card [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
You catching em on Jigs?

Yep, but I'm only about 50-60 behind this year.....worse catch year, since 1979, for me. If I'm there, the fish were up river....if I'm up river, then I missed the fish that came with the tide.

Bottom line....worse year for seeing "groups of fish".....many singles, doubles but for the "over plant...just not many summer run.
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH/quote

Good eye, DW. Leave it to you to see $h!t like this.

I bet you must have a pretty good eye doctor wink

I do have an EXCELLENT eye doctor.......but someone else pointed it out to me, and they don't post to PP.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#979084 - 08/15/17 04:58 PM Re: Steelhead part of punch Card [Re: DrifterWA]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Can't hardly blame them............................Work or screw all day.

What would you choose?

#979086 - 08/15/17 05:41 PM Re: Steelhead part of punch Card [Re: DrifterWA]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
Can't even count? Omg. Really wish I was worried about catching that many.

Additional cards for fish/crab are only $12.60 resident or non. No wonder wdfw is broke.

#979097 - 08/16/17 11:30 AM Re: Steelhead part of punch Card [Re: DrifterWA]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Must have used the same invisible ink on those two numbers that they used on the yellow window stickers a few years back.
SF

#979131 - 08/19/17 09:10 AM Re: Steelhead part of punch Card [Re: ]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

Well this should cheer the inland Big C guys up.....not.

In the face of a dismal steelhead run, Idaho canceled its harvest season this fall and instead will implement rules allowing only catch and release.

Washington is expected to announce similarly restrictive measures in the coming days, likely marking the first time in decades that catch-and-keep steelhead fishing will not be allowed on the Snake River and its tributaries. The move is a gut punch for fishing-related businesses from outfitters and guides who make their living helping people catch fish to businesses — like tackle shops, hotels and restaurants — that count on an influx of anglers and their cash each fall and winter.

“I just lost 70 percent of my income for my year,” said Toby Wyatt, owner of Reel Time Fishing at Clarkston, Washington. “It’s probably the biggest blow I’ve ever had in my career as a guide.”

The Lewis Clark Valley Chamber of Commerce announced it canceled its annual Snake-Clearwater Steelhead Derby that serves as both a fundraiser and a way to showcase the fishing opportunities and other amenities of the valley to people who come from out of town to participate in the weeklong event. Chamber President Kristin Kemak said the chamber will look to hold an alternative event that highlights other outdoor opportunities.

Kemak and Wyatt both said they understand why the states are moving to restrict harvest and believe it’s the best way to protect the health of future fishing seasons.

“I 100 percent agree with it,” Wyatt said. “I know it’s not the states’ fault at all. It’s just a combination of drought conditions and ‘The Blob’ in the ocean.”

Riggins Mayor Glenna McClure was less understanding and said she would have liked fisheries managers to wait before implementing restrictions that are sure to hurt small towns like hers.

“For the economy of Riggins, that will just kill this little town,” she said. “People don’t come here to catch and release. They come here to catch and keep.”

This fall will mark the second year in a row that A-run steelhead have performed poorly. Last year the run comprised of fish that generally spend just one year in the ocean tanked. Biologists blamed low flows in the Snake and Columbia rivers when the fish migrated to the Pacific Ocean as juveniles, and “The Blob” — a strange mass of warm water that enveloped the near coastal waters off of Oregon and Washington.

The poor return of A-run steelhead in 2016 signaled a likely poor run of B-run steelhead this year. Those steelhead generally spend two years in salt water and experienced the same poor river and ocean conditions in 2016. The larger B-run fish are just starting to enter the Columbia River and fisheries managers don’t know yet if their prediction will play out.

But they are reeling from the number of A-run steelhead counted to date at Bonneville Dam. Fisheries managers expected a down year but hoped it would best the 2016 run by a wide margin. So far the opposite is true. The run is amongst the lowest on record at Bonneville and the lowest ever at Lower Granite Dam on the Snake River.

Before the run began, fisheries managers estimated 112,100 A-run steelhead would pass Bonneville Dam this year. They now expect only about 54,000 including 21,000 wild fish.

Joe DuPont, regional fisheries manager of the Idaho Department of Fish and Game at Lewiston, said just 3,300 Idaho-bound hatchery steelhead have been counted at Bonneville and only 6,600 are expected. Of those only about 4,600 will make it back to Idaho.

Hatcheries in the state need 2,680 steelhead for spawning. However, DuPont said many of the 4,600 A-run steelhead will return to places they can’t be trapped and its not unusual for more than half of the returning hatchery steelhead to be harvested during fishing seasons.

“As such, we need to restrict harvest to ensure we keep our hatcheries full,” he said.

DuPont said biologists will closely monitor both the A-run and B-run, and if numbers pick up it’s possible that harvest could be reopened in select areas. He said he is confident the catch and release regulations are sufficient to protect wild fish that are listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act.

“I can tell you we have had many catch and release fisheries across the state of Idaho where fish rebounded and flourished,” he said. “Catch and release fishing has proven to be a successful technique to help rebound fisheries that have declined for various reasons.”

The emergency rules took effect Friday. The main catch-and-keep steelhead season on the Snake and Salmon rivers doesn’t open until Sept. 1, but a short section of the Clearwater River, from its mouth to Memorial Bridge at Lewiston, opened Aug. 1.

#979146 - 08/21/17 11:45 PM Re: Steelhead part of punch Card [Re: Jake Dogfish]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Jake Dogfish
Can't even count? Omg. Really wish I was worried about catching that many.

Additional cards for fish/crab are only $12.60 resident or non. No wonder wdfw is broke.

Not to take this too far sideways but the first Puget Sound Dungeness crab endorsement is $8.75 which includes a "free" CRC. An additional CRC is $12.60 or 44% more than the original purchase. What is even worse is that the Puget Sound Dungeness crab CRC, unlike the salmon or steelhead CRCs, is good for a specific number of days (20) where a crabber retains at least one legal crab. Bottom line, a recreational crabber could fill his CRC with as few as 20 crab and as many as 100.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#979184 - 08/23/17 07:34 AM Re: Steelhead part of punch Card [Re: DrifterWA]
Steeldrifter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Pierce county
I went ahead and added in ink 2 more lines.........Fu#@ them!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Chromeo, Colluvium, lat59, m wilson, phishkellar, TBJ
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (NOFISH), 1103 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645360 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |