Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#979187 - 08/23/17 10:47 AM Re: Free For All! [Re: RUNnGUN]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Been seeing quite a few pics popping up around various locations. The interlopers are hitting the deck in droves.
I want to be a fisherman.

#979188 - 08/23/17 11:45 AM Re: Free For All! [Re: Salmo g.]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I caught one by hand, around Thanksgiving, in a little creek that I think was a Samish trib. Probably a grilse as it was only about 50 cm. And skinny and weak.

#979191 - 08/23/17 01:30 PM Re: Free For All! [Re: RUNnGUN]
River Nutrients

On the other hand this will allow the river-fishing tribes and opportunity for a few more fish to sell. Proving that gill nets are an effective conservation tool by removing all those damnable Atlantics. A win-win. Good press for nets, good press for saving our wild fish.

#979193 - 08/23/17 01:57 PM Re: Free For All! [Re: RUNnGUN]
River Nutrients

Having seen people rave over chum when they were told it was a "white king" I have little trust in what the public really knows is best tasting.

#979194 - 08/23/17 02:37 PM Re: Free For All! [Re: RUNnGUN]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
I was already planning to go up and fish the Straits on Friday. I'll make a run over by the pens and report back what I see.
I want to be a fisherman.

#979195 - 08/23/17 03:05 PM Re: Free For All! [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Having seen people rave over chum when they were told it was a "white king" I have little trust in what the public really knows is best tasting.

Really? White King? Last laugh I had over the commercial market's nomdeplume for chum was as "Silver Bright" which, as I recall, came after Keta.

But I can understand not wanting to spend money on advertising Dog Salmon for sale to the consumer.

Anyway, if they like it at market price more power to both seller and buyer.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#979197 - 08/23/17 05:08 PM Re: Free For All! [Re: RUNnGUN]
chukar14 Offline
Fry

Loc: Duvall
Why not just raise pacific salmon in net pens release them, then let the tribes take 50% of that.. not a bad way to improve fishing

#979198 - 08/23/17 05:55 PM Re: Free For All! [Re: RUNnGUN]
spokey9 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Ravenden, AR
That'd mean the tribes wouldn't be able to blur their harvest numbers or over fish on years were the predicted numbers don't pan out. I doubt they'd give that up lol.

Edited by spokey9 (08/23/17 05:56 PM)

#979201 - 08/23/17 08:41 PM Re: Free For All! [Re: ]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
Stop the sport fishers now !

No way the management models can allow all the esa kingcoho hooked and killed as by-catch when all the sports fishes hit the water to clean up the alien Atlantics those stinking farmers let loose...

You are making my night tonight with your spot on comments! TY for shining lights on truths here with your withering insight in your posts!

Hoping for at least an Atlantic Salmon season on the Upper Skagit this year after getting pushed aside this year SMH... One can always hope.......

#979203 - 08/23/17 09:42 PM Re: Free For All! [Re: RUNnGUN]
spokey9 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Ravenden, AR
Will the nof herring meetings be open to the public? And will there be a sanddab advisory board included in the restructuring? Got my fingers crossed those flatfish hatcheries get started up soon hello

Edited by spokey9 (08/23/17 09:48 PM)

#979204 - 08/23/17 10:00 PM Re: Free For All! [Re: OLD FB]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

Originally Posted By: OLD FB
Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
Stop the sport fishers now !

No way the management models can allow all the esa kingcoho hooked and killed as by-catch when all the sports fishes hit the water to clean up the alien Atlantics those stinking farmers let loose...

You are making my night tonight with your spot on comments! TY for shining lights on truths here with your withering insight in your posts!

Hoping for at least an Atlantic Salmon season on the Upper Skagit this year after getting pushed aside this year SMH... One can always hope.......

pretty hot huh? he knows more about fishing than pretty much most people on these boards.....

#979207 - 08/24/17 02:45 AM Re: Free For All! [Re: Salmo g.]
GoldDigger Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
There was an escape of about 18,000 Atlantic salmon in the Cypress Island area in 1995 or 96. A friend of mine caught 16 of them in the Skagit River that summer. If only the Skagit were open this summer . . .

Yeah...IF ONLY...

I live on the Skagit, and saw the first of the seasons humpies rolling yesterday morning. Hard to wonder if there's not a few Atlantics in there was well.

Can they cross breed?

#979208 - 08/24/17 08:22 AM Re: Free For All! [Re: RUNnGUN]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

"Can they cross breed?"

No.

#979209 - 08/24/17 10:14 AM Re: Free For All! [Re: RUNnGUN]
River Nutrients

I think that Atlantics are less reproductively competent than the average Chambers Creek steelhead. And that bar is almost on the ground.

#979210 - 08/24/17 10:28 AM Re: Free For All! [Re: RUNnGUN]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
Originally there was nothing wrong with chambers creek Steelhead.
Then man planted millions of them for decades. Now they are a mess and have harmed native runs.

#979211 - 08/24/17 10:50 AM Re: Free For All! [Re: RUNnGUN]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

An expert is what collects at the end of a rubber.
Good Luck.

#979213 - 08/24/17 11:10 AM Re: Free For All! [Re: RUNnGUN]
onthewater Offline
Fry

["Lummi fishers were incensed at the Atlantic salmon intruding in home waters of native Washington Pacific salmon. “It’s a devastation,” said Ellie Kinley, whose family has fished Puget Sound for generations. “We don’t want those fish preying on our baby salmon. And we don’t want them getting up in the rivers.”]

I laughed out loud after I read this statement. An outfit which participates in the indiscriminate killing by gillnet of threatened/endangered NATIVE stocks of fish is worried about a few thousand non-native introduced fish which probably can't interbreed anyway and wouldn't know how to kill a native smolt even with a manual? Smells like the statement of someone looking for compensation for perceived damages indeed!

Cooke's excuses for the failure are pathetic BTW and I believe those net pens have no place in the puget sound. Raise the f'ers in giant land based pens. I know we have the technology.

"Hope I die before I get old" - Pete Townshend, The Who, Musician/Singer/Songwriter and Spokesperson of a generation.

#979215 - 08/24/17 11:21 AM Re: Free For All! [Re: RUNnGUN]
River Nutrients

Like I said, Atlantics problem is that they directly compete for sales. Each AS sold is one Pacific not sold.

There real problems with the pens themselves and the discharges, problems with the spread of disease and parasites. But when they get loose they really don't do much but die.

#979217 - 08/24/17 11:40 AM Re: Free For All! [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Like I said, Atlantics problem is that they directly compete for sales. Each AS sold is one Pacific not sold.

There real problems with the pens themselves and the discharges, problems with the spread of disease and parasites. But when they get loose they really don't do much but die.

Absolutely! The shrill cries of anguish from tribal interests (and commercial fishers in general) has ALL to do with being undercut at the market place and nothing to do with conservation.

As mentioned by others if the tribes are truly concerned about the future of our wild stocks they need to quit gill netting and get on with selective harvest methods.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#979234 - 08/24/17 10:33 PM Re: Free For All! [Re: RUNnGUN]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
If I remember right, the best way to catch these last time was to load up a garbage can with dog food or other pellets. you then start beating the water and throwing in the dog food. As the fish come up, you then net them. I remember hearing it actually worked fairly good in the beginning before the schools break up and the fish move away from the location of the pens.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 319 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |