Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#980780 - 10/20/17 05:26 PM new outboard advice
lostboy Offline
Fry

looking to buy a new 17 foot RH aluminum boat to start my retirementand looking for input on pros and cons between Honda Yamaha or Mercury outboards thank you

#980782 - 10/20/17 06:38 PM Re: new outboard advice [Re: lostboy]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

We have a new yamaha F150 and a 9.9, had them less then a year, no complaints, great motors. We have a Tohatsu 4 h.p. that we've used quite often for over 10 years now, great motor. I had a used 15 h.p. Merc that I used back in the 90's, not as good as the newer stuff. I haven't heard anything but good reports on Yamahas. Bob R

#980783 - 10/20/17 06:53 PM Re: new outboard advice [Re: bob r]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Yamaha

fp

#980784 - 10/20/17 07:16 PM Re: new outboard advice [Re: lostboy]
RogueFanatic Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap Co.
depending on size and end-of-year deals, the longest warranty, best power-to-weight ratio (140HP in my case), and best deal-

SUZUKI.

#980787 - 10/20/17 07:42 PM Re: new outboard advice [Re: lostboy]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Cant go wrong with Yamaha and Evinrude. The Mercury 80 jet has been pretty solid. Yamahas are typically a bit heavier HP depending, something to consider when thinking about properly balancing a 17' jet boat, especially when combining a kicker motor. Evinrudes will give u more "pop" out of the hole. They often come with the better warranty out all the outboard manufacturers. Last boat show season they gave 10 years which is pretty darn incredible. Still love Yamaha though and its really a matter of the configuration, beam, how many u r operating with most days etc. Tons to think about really. USCG has some pretty stringent rules on tiller HP under 20' length boats. For most tiller model17's, you will have to stay around 80HP and it must be posted on the cowling. Consoles u can get alot more... just my 2 cents. smile

Edited by cobble cruiser (10/20/17 07:48 PM)

#980791 - 10/21/17 03:08 AM Re: new outboard advice [Re: lostboy]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
The USCG actually has no rule about it, it's a suggested HP rating, there is no requirement to follow it and the USCG has no authority to enforce it.

Any enforcement is done by the local authorities, and only if they have it as a law on the books. Many locations/regions have nothing to say about it.

This is directly from the Coast Guard, with the link below it.

They do not and cannot enforce over powering a boat, they can do something about a boat being operated in an unsafe manner though.

MAXIMUM HORSEPOWER – The maximum horsepower
information listed on the capacity label is a guide for
selecting an engine for a boat. It’s not a violation of Federal
Regulation to install or use a larger engine. Boaters should
check state regulations for restrictions. They should also
take a look at their insurance policy regarding horsepower.

http://www.uscg.mil/d1/prevention/Na...ing_Safety.PDF

#980795 - 10/21/17 04:59 AM Re: new outboard advice [Re: lostboy]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

This is how it's stated in the Washington state boaters safety course.

Remember that it is unsafe and a violation to:
Load your vessel with passengers or cargo beyond its safe carrying ability or to carry passengers in an unsafe manner, taking into consideration the weather and other existing conditions at the time of operation, such as traffic or tides.
Operate a vessel equipped with a motor that is overpowered beyond the vessel's ability to be operated safely. Safe operation includes factors such as the type and construction of the vessel, your boating activity, and other conditions like the weather.
If it appears to an enforcement officer that the vessel is clearly overloaded or overpowered beyond safe operation and is in a hazardous condition, the officer may direct the operator to return to shore and correct the condition before continuing the voyage.

#980796 - 10/21/17 06:03 AM Re: new outboard advice [Re: ondarvr]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Well brand loyalty is a part of all our views right along with personal experience. Also motors change year to year and it also depends with application. Do your research on what fits your needs as frankly in the last couple of years all the 4 strokes are comparable and so to the two strokes. To me the final and frankly important thing is what boat shop do you frequent ( or will ) and what they sell as driving 200 miles for maintenance sucks. The shop I use sells Merc and Yamaha and they are pretty much straight across comparable. ( if two stroke I do love e tec ) so if I repower it will be one of those. The shop is my final decider.

Edited by Rivrguy (10/21/17 06:03 AM)

#980797 - 10/21/17 07:23 AM Re: new outboard advice [Re: lostboy]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
1st--RH boats are a great built boat, I looked at them when I bought my boat.

2nd--17' boat DON'T under power the boat...I know from experience. My boat is a custom built boat, 6' bottom.....motor that I ordered with boat ETech 90/65, just wasn't enough for me, sold that, bought ETech 130, while better....still wasn't what I was looking for, sold that to same person that bought my 90/65 and bought one of the 1st factory 150 ETech with a pump....I LOVE THIS COMBINATION.....this motor is 105 HP at pump, a 2 stroke, weights less than Yamaha or Mercury and hauls ASS, on step quick, thru power range to 40 MPH.

I say again "Don't under power your boat"....... Good luck!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#980800 - 10/21/17 08:06 AM Re: new outboard advice [Re: ondarvr]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: ondarvr
The USCG actually has no rule about it, it's a suggested HP rating, there is no requirement to follow it and the USCG has no authority to enforce it.

Any enforcement is done by the local authorities, and only if they have it as a law on the books. Many locations/regions have nothing to say about it.

They do not and cannot enforce over powering a boat, they can do something about a boat being operated in an unsafe manner though.

Super interesting as we have been given a mathematical equation to follow in order to stay under max HP guidelines. I know Glen has been very strict about it (believe me ive tried to make exceptions wink ) . In fact, we recently had a USCG officer tell us a particular HP size was a no no on our standard Alaskan models. I can note that equation when i return to the office on Monday. As far as i understand, there are exceptions for government or commercial operators but the hull would have to be designated as such and labeled properly. This just what i have understood for the last 7 years anyway.

#980801 - 10/21/17 08:09 AM Re: new outboard advice [Re: DrifterWA]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
1st--RH boats are a great built boat, I looked at them when I bought my boat.

2nd--17' boat DON'T under power the boat...I know from experience. My boat is a custom built boat, 6' bottom.....motor that I ordered with boat ETech 90/65, just wasn't enough for me, sold that, bought ETech 130, while better....still wasn't what I was looking for, sold that to same person that bought my 90/65 and bought one of the 1st factory 150 ETech with a pump....I LOVE THIS COMBINATION.....this motor is 105 HP at pump, a 2 stroke, weights less than Yamaha or Mercury and hauls ASS, on step quick, thru power range to 40 MPH.

I say again "Don't under power your boat"....... Good luck!!!!!

I also own that motor. Hauls a$$ is right! thumbs

#980803 - 10/21/17 08:13 AM Re: new outboard advice [Re: lostboy]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

I believe it is not a violation for the consumer to overpower a boat over that of its suggested HP max. In an accident, there could be liabilty however. For an OEM boat builder, i believe there are HP guidelines.

I know folks purchase hull and trailer combos and power their boat after the fact in some cases. This is fairly common in higher elevations over 4000 feet as the loss of horspower affects performance. Something we see later and from the "usual" locales.

Edited by cobble cruiser (10/21/17 08:18 AM)

#980804 - 10/21/17 08:46 AM Re: new outboard advice [Re: lostboy]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

The liability for the owner is not an issue either, I went to several insurance companies plus my own and asked about over powering my boat, some asked a few questions and then said "no problem", others wanted to charge a bit more, but weren't concerned about.

I can see why a builder might not want to push it though.

#980805 - 10/21/17 08:58 AM Re: new outboard advice [Re: cobble cruiser]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
Originally Posted By: ondarvr

Super interesting as we have been given a mathematical equation to follow in order to stay under max HP guidelines. I know Glen has been very strict about it (believe me ive tried to make exceptions wink ) . In fact, we recently had a USCG officer tell us a particular HP size was a no no on our standard Alaskan models. I can note that equation when i return to the office on Monday. As far as i understand, there are exceptions for government or commercial operators but the hull would have to be designated as such and labeled properly. This just what i have understood for the last 7 years anyway.

Yes, the CG has a formula to calculate the recommended HP for boats under 20', it's a quick Google search away. They like to imply it's a rule or law, but it really only establishes a guideline for the builder, after that it's up to the boat owner.

That's the reason I cut and pasted the statement on it from the CG themselves. People frequently don't believe it until they actually investigate it. Next comes the insurance issue, but people never check that either, they just assume it isn't allowed.

#980808 - 10/21/17 10:12 AM Re: new outboard advice [Re: lostboy]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

I just bought a Mercury 30/25 jet for a Lowe1448. Ive always had Yamaha’s and Evinrudes but this was a NOS 2015 motor that was discounted $2000! I couldn’t pass it up.

Ive only had it out twice but it has been great so far.
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#980810 - 10/21/17 11:24 AM Re: new outboard advice [Re: lostboy]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
My boat builder says he won't built anymore boats under 20' because of the coast guard requirements, that's too bad because his boats are well built and you can have it built to whatever you want installed. Not everyone wants a "big boat" but want options that can't be gotten with a "stamped out factory" boat.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#980813 - 10/21/17 03:11 PM Re: new outboard advice [Re: lostboy]
lostboy Offline
Fry

well it's looking more and more like the Yamaha 150 which has its ups and downs from all I can find it's a great motorbut without much horsepower on a 17 foot boat I will need a 9.9 kicker For trolling I could change the prop around to a different pitch but that defeats the purpose in my eyes of having not much horsepower

#980814 - 10/21/17 04:22 PM Re: new outboard advice [Re: lostboy]
lostboy Offline
Fry

I hate voice textI meant with that not withoutLOL

#980828 - 10/22/17 08:00 AM Re: new outboard advice [Re: lostboy]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
You will seldom ( unless very cheap boat ) blow through the transom hp rating. My 12 ft john boat can take up to 15 hp and I have a 8 and I think 15 would lift me damn near off the water. My 20 ft has a 150 but it is papered up to 200 and really needs a 175 at the minimum. Many dealers keep cost down on new hulls by under powering them and folks a 115 on a 20 ft hull is not a good match. Oh it will work but load it up fishing and you will wallow. That said your to much hp is a bit unfounded. Thing is just because you have 50 hp in reserve on the throttle does not mean you have to use it but you have it when you want it.

Also look to balance your hull. If your going 4 stroke you need to count pounds and where they are on the hull. PNW aluminum boats are not known as performance hulls and the average boat is transom heavy. Sturdy & reliable but not the best performing. Your dead rise and bow angle will also make or break you. DW's E tec 150 makes him scoot but he does not put it to the wall every time but when he has to get up and move it does and right now.

The final thing is a motor you run at 90% will not last nearly as long ( or breakdown free ) as one running at 75%. That top one third of the power band is where the vast majority of your wear happens so it is always better to have a goodly amount of hp so at a cruise your motor just lopes along.

Edited by Rivrguy (10/22/17 08:02 AM)

#980859 - 10/22/17 06:44 PM Re: new outboard advice [Re: Rivrguy]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
You will seldom ( unless very cheap boat ) blow through the transom hp rating. My 12 ft john boat can take up to 15 hp and I have a 8 and I think 15 would lift me damn near off the water. My 20 ft has a 150 but it is papered up to 200 and really needs a 175 at the minimum. Many dealers keep cost down on new hulls by under powering them and folks a 115 on a 20 ft hull is not a good match. Oh it will work but load it up fishing and you will wallow. That said your to much hp is a bit unfounded. Thing is just because you have 50 hp in reserve on the throttle does not mean you have to use it but you have it when you want it.

Also look to balance your hull. If your going 4 stroke you need to count pounds and where they are on the hull. PNW aluminum boats are not known as performance hulls and the average boat is transom heavy. Sturdy & reliable but not the best performing. Your dead rise and bow angle will also make or break you. DW's E tec 150 makes him scoot but he does not put it to the wall every time but when he has to get up and move it does and right now.

The final thing is a motor you run at 90% will not last nearly as long ( or breakdown free ) as one running at 75%. That top one third of the power band is where the vast majority of your wear happens so it is always better to have a goodly amount of hp so at a cruise your motor just lopes along.

Good post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (stonefish, wolverine), 1049 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645297 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |