Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#982059 - 11/30/17 08:46 AM Sand shrimp purchase on way to coast
Gusty Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Everett, WA. USA
Happy Holidays Everyone!

It’s the season for brats and wanted to get a heads up for places that have shrimp this time of year?

Heard rumblings they can be hard to find at times:)

Montesano area? Aberdeen/Hoqium? Port Angeles?

Any info on delivery dates is an added bonus.

Thank you in advance.

#982060 - 11/30/17 08:54 AM Re: Sand shrimp purchase on way to coast [Re: Gusty]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Hey..... Use prawns, end the hassle of "trying to find sand shrimp", on spur of the moment.

Now that said....IF I wanted sand shrimp, I'd check at the chevron station or Union station in Monty Square.

Happy Holidays !!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#982064 - 11/30/17 10:03 AM Re: Sand shrimp purchase on way to coast [Re: Gusty]
Gusty Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks Drifter.

I appreciate the heads up.

Edited by Gusty (11/30/17 10:03 AM)

#982069 - 11/30/17 10:52 AM Re: Sand shrimp purchase on way to coast [Re: Gusty]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have been wondering about this too. I mean, I really like fishing prawns but this year I did some salmon fishing on the coast with sand shrimp and had no success. I don't attribute that to sand shrimp. It was my poor fishing skill that resulted in no hook ups.

Regardless, I wanted to start using them for steelhead but I have been wondering about rigging.

For salmon I was hooking them up with 4/0 hooks which seemed like a good fit for the size of sand shrimp. But for steelhead I don't like fishing anything bigger than a 1/0. So how do you guys rig these things up for steelhead? The same way you do for salmon (basically running the line through them to get them to float straight up and down with the hook in the thorax) or like a plastic worm where you leave the hook dangling free?

I've watched some videos on it but now I'm thinking. Which causes me to doubt. smile

#982070 - 11/30/17 11:16 AM Re: Sand shrimp purchase on way to coast [Re: Gusty]
FleaFlickr02 Online   content
River Nutrients

The 76 in Monte usually has sand shrimp, as does Monte Square. 76 also has a small, but locally-tuned tackle section that has a few things I haven't found other places.

#982072 - 11/30/17 12:15 PM Re: Sand shrimp purchase on way to coast [Re: TanTastic84]
Gusty Offline
Returning Adult

For steelhead I usually use size 2, 1 and 1/0 hooks and I fish those with sand shrimp tails via a drift rig. (Save the heads for when u run out of tails or want a change up)

I use an egg loop setup on my leader and will take the hook and run it from the front/top of the tail and exit above the hard tail fins of the shrimp. Then secure with the egg loop so it stays in place.

Under a bobber I usually set it up the same way and don’t use the heads. If really murky I’d maybe throw a whole one on.

However, from a boat using a backtroll you can use a whole shrimp but with a double hook rig so you can secure it properly.

#982081 - 11/30/17 02:41 PM Re: Sand shrimp purchase on way to coast [Re: Gusty]
TanTastic84 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle, WA
Thanks Gusty,

I appreciate the rigging tips! I know sand shrimp will vary in size so I will see what the next batch I get look like.

I was seeing a lot of people on YouTube run just the tails for steelhead so I guess that's what I'll do unless the water is super high. I'm glad my thinking on the hook size wasn't too far off.

Thanks again for the advice my man!

#982091 - 11/30/17 06:02 PM Re: Sand shrimp purchase on way to coast [Re: Gusty]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
Bait buttons can help too!

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#982190 - 12/03/17 08:10 PM Re: Sand shrimp purchase on way to coast [Re: Gusty]
VHawk. Offline
River Nutrients

Or...you could just pump them out of yourself. They last for days if you change out the moist paper towel and keep them cool. Plus it's kind of fun. Just about anywhere that fresh water meets salt you'll be close to sandshrimp beds. Anyplace that sells shrimp guns can probably direct you to nearby spots.

Good luck!

VHawk

#982192 - 12/03/17 10:31 PM Re: Sand shrimp purchase on way to coast [Re: VHawk.]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: VHawk.
Or...you could just pump them out of yourself. They last for days if you change out the moist paper towel and keep them cool. Plus it's kind of fun. Just about anywhere that fresh water meets salt you'll be close to sandshrimp beds. Anyplace that sells shrimp guns can probably direct you to nearby spots.

Good luck!

VHawk

Sand shrimp beds are getting harder to find these days, due to oyster farms advocating use of sevin (a chemical used to control sand shrimp but also killing lots of other invertibrites (sp.) important to the food chain for fish and other creatures. Hopefully more then a hand full of us commented against a return to the use of it last month. we are still seeing the affects of the last time they were allowed to do this, ever notice why so many sand shrimp disappeared from Bottle beach and Roosevelt beach? Ask coastal shellfish producers and legislators that allow pesticides freely distributed in our waters. Bob R

#982193 - 12/04/17 12:05 AM Re: Sand shrimp purchase on way to coast [Re: Gusty]
milkBottleMikey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Spawn Ranch
I'm glad they finally stopped using sevin. Unfortunately it took a long time for knowledge of its use to get out to the public, and they stopped a few years back.

The main reason there's not a lot of sandshrimp available for sale is because the state commercial shrimping licenses became cost prohibitive and the demand for live bait is lower than it used to be.

#982194 - 12/04/17 05:49 AM Re: Sand shrimp purchase on way to coast [Re: milkBottleMikey]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: milkBottleMikey
I'm glad they finally stopped using sevin. Unfortunately it took a long time for knowledge of its use to get out to the public, and they stopped a few years back.

The main reason there's not a lot of sandshrimp available for sale is because the state commercial shrimping licenses became cost prohibitive and the demand for live bait is lower than it used to be.

Well, as I pointed out they are trying to use sevin again, anyone who goes to the two beaches I mentioned above will note the lack of most of the sand shrimp sign that used to be quite prevalent back 10 or 15 years ago. Whether it is available or not for bait is NOT the issue, sevin is the issue. LOTS of the fish we target use these as a food source, food chain is screwed up enough. Bob R

#982197 - 12/04/17 10:09 AM Re: Sand shrimp purchase on way to coast [Re: Gusty]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Sand shrimp/prawns can be used in the following manner, if you are using spinners........probably would work on other ways for salmon and steelhead...

Found spinners, this past year, caught on wood in the Chehalis below the Satsop River....think they were rigged for use by "guides"..

1. get some pipe cleaners

2. put one end thru "eye of the hook"

3. wrap down shank, until about the curve.

4. because of the wire in the pipe cleaner, it will stay in place.

5. get some thread, put bait against pipe cleaner, wrap thread around bait, using "half hitches".

The pipe cleaner will hold bait in place........could even add scent to the pipe cleaner......

I changed to prawns 20 years ago......I could buy and put in freezer, so they were there if I needed them......AND they just stayed on the hook better....

Now the pipe cleaner could be a better way for sand shrimp ?????? Seems to work for guides.....

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#982200 - 12/04/17 02:22 PM Re: Sand shrimp purchase on way to coast [Re: Gusty]
milkBottleMikey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Spawn Ranch
"The two Jimmies" are Willapa Bay locals who used to provide sandshrimp to Monte Square and many other shops including Lower Columbia/Cowlitz area.

They got out of it when the state started jerking them around over licensing, plus the demand fell when people started using frozen more- don't have to go without fresh bait when the dudes in front of you in checkout at Monte Square buy the last 20 dozen containers- which happened to me more than once.

I'm not condoning sevin at all but the effects there seemed fairly localized when it was used, the shrimpers could go out farther in the bay and get all the shrimp they wanted. There would be sevin warning signs plastered everywhere when it was being applied but they made sure to take down all the signs immediately afterward so there would be no evidence.

Not sure how the ghost shrimp population there now stands, but the mudshrimp population fell way off, from some kind of disease I heard.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1070 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |