Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#982513 - 12/14/17 03:38 AM 2017 Looking Back on the year
plugs Offline
Fry

Loc: Longview,WA
I thought with the New Year just a couple weeks away it being to cold for my old bones to deal with such low numbers of steelhead here in the tribs yet I'd just put away the boat till springer time and thought I'm probably not the only one.
I also thought about us needing a place to share our success stories we had and things we may have learned through the 2017 year.
So 1 thing I learned in 2017 is that maybe color has a little more to do with our offerings than I had previously believed. Case in point fishing some of our absolutely killer Kwikfish anchored in the same exact spot day after day that killer Blue Magoo or Twisted Sister might hook you up for days on end then out of nowhere you can't but a bite all day till you change colors.
I also learned taking a 16ft boat out at Astoria may not be the smartest thing you can do but it is doable. Also it's really a good idea to have your butt back at the ramp BEFORE it flips to the outgoing.
Last thing I learned is trust your electronics no matter how stupid you think it's just acting up. One area we do a lot of our trolling is 46 F.O.W. and there was like 3 days we were fishing and just scratching out 1 or 2 fish a day targeting the fish showing on the graph at 3 ft. off the bottom but kept marking at 5-10 ft. what I thought was just surface clutter floating down. So I'm bringing in a fish I dredged up off the bottom and my buddy hasn't got his line all the way in yet and I need him to net my fish and he just stops reeling grabs the net swings her aboard and we hear his rod just ripping line off the reel just as a fish goes airborne 10 ft. behind the boat. We get his fish in the boat and now there lays 2 fish that need bleed and put in the box which I'm going to do so told him to get the rods back out while I'm doing that. So I have my back to him and not watching and I have the 1st fish bled and putting it on ice and I hear his rod holder closing around the rod and I start to take his fish out of the 2nd net and bonk it and about the time I'm running my knife through the gills he's saying "HERE TAKE THIS" handing me my rod and his is just flat pinned over the side. I reel my rod back in set it aside and after a 15 minute tooth and toenail fight we net his fish. I says how deep were you? he said he only had 13 on the counter. I then say ok you take care of that one I'm getting back out. Now I'm standing there stripping out line watching my counter about the split second I'm gonna flip the handle at 13 ft. I get hit like a ton of bricks with the reel still in free spool and somehow got away without a birds nest and got that one in too.
So there's a couple of success stories and things we learned in 2017

Here's a quick video of myself and a couple of my fishing buddies summing up our year fishing SW WA 2017
My 2017 fishing season

Edited by plugs (12/14/17 03:43 AM)

#982514 - 12/14/17 06:25 AM Re: 2017 Looking Back on the year [Re: plugs]
Steeldrifter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Pierce county
Great write up and an excellent end of the season wrap up report. Nice work!

#982524 - 12/14/17 01:22 PM Re: 2017 Looking Back on the year [Re: plugs]
thaxor Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Olympia, WA
Great report! Looks like you've got that superbait technique on lockdown.

I tried eating some bluegill this summer. I just don't have the patience for so much work.

#982525 - 12/14/17 01:25 PM Re: 2017 Looking Back on the year [Re: ]
plugs Offline
Fry

Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
Nice fish, but I have two questions. First, what do you do with the all the Shad, and what was the Crappie super bait used ? wink

Great report, and some great pictures to share, thx.

The shad are filleted smoked then canned. My wife is from Ukraine and she'll eat them. I use the carcesses for crab bait.
2nd ?= No not on superbaits for crappie LOL small tube baits

Ok guys lets here you memorable stories and different things you may have learned this year

#982535 - 12/14/17 05:47 PM Re: 2017 Looking Back on the year [Re: plugs]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Thanks.....

nice vid but I really liked the music, lol....only took me back about 35+ years....thanks for the music memories

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#982537 - 12/14/17 05:58 PM Re: 2017 Looking Back on the year [Re: plugs]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Yep.. that's the post-operative theme song in my line of work.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#982539 - 12/14/17 06:32 PM Re: 2017 Looking Back on the year [Re: plugs]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
The song is 45 years old now. 1972. Sorry. grin

Great season recap! Huh - who woulda thunk it? An actual real fishing post on a fishing board. Weird.

Edited by NickD90 (12/14/17 06:35 PM)

#982553 - 12/15/17 12:21 AM Re: 2017 Looking Back on the year [Re: DrifterWA]
plugs Offline
Fry

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
Thanks.....

nice vid but I really liked the music, lol....only took me back about 35+ years....thanks for the music memories

If you liked the oldies on that one my 2015 season recap video is Stand by me by Ben E. King and my 2016 fishing season recap is My Girl by Otis Redding

#982554 - 12/15/17 12:36 AM Re: 2017 Looking Back on the year [Re: plugs]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Gotta love a guy with a bit of SOUL.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#982555 - 12/15/17 12:55 AM Re: 2017 Looking Back on the year [Re: eyeFISH]
plugs Offline
Fry

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Gotta love a guy with a bit of SOUL.

Ya and the guy that strips off his cloths and dives in off the bow at buoy 10

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Salmo g., 1 invisible), 1070 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645299 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |