Rate This Topic
#982608 - 12/17/17 12:40 PM bye bye Cooke Aquaculture
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

#982609 - 12/17/17 01:24 PM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: 5 * General Evo]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Another environmental issue has, hopefully, been averted. The question I have is why did it take DNR so long to make the decision. It appears, from the article, that there have been issues at this facility and others for years and nothing was done.

#982610 - 12/17/17 01:28 PM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Look at the standards being asked of Cooke and then look at the enhancement facilities the State and Tribes run and what standards they are held to.

#982611 - 12/17/17 05:02 PM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: 5 * General Evo]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
Speaking from years of experience, when the Dept of Agriculture gets involved, the resource is often the loser.

#982612 - 12/17/17 06:27 PM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

That is very true. There are still water quality regulations and shoreline regulations that other entities control.

What perturbs me about the situation is that the problem is not Atlantics, it is the operation of the pens to raise fish. That problem would have been significantly worse had they been raising one of the Pacific salmon species.

#982615 - 12/17/17 10:25 PM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
This is a good first step. It’s only Port Angeles for now.

#982617 - 12/18/17 06:45 AM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

If you're concern is purely AS, then yes there is just PA. If your concern is water quality, escapes, disease then that is just the tip of the iceburg.

#982618 - 12/18/17 09:19 AM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: 5 * General Evo]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
What I would like to know is this. With all the anti-gillnet hate, and all of the commercial fishing hate, and all of the complaining about our seasons being closed due to low returns, and not enough fish to go around.... WHAT exactly do people propose to meet the market demand for fresh fish if we drastically curtain commercial fishing, which so many people seem to desperately want?
I want to be a fisherman.

#982619 - 12/18/17 09:48 AM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: 5 * General Evo]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
This has been a "on going problem". This did not JUST HAPPEN OVER NIGHT, my question is what Federal or State agency should be held directly responsible???? There must/should have been regular checking of this site and others......there has to be documents, on file that show/explain how bad this site was.

Maybe someone NOT doing their job????????

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#982620 - 12/18/17 09:56 AM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: 5 * General Evo]
ned Offline
Spawner

Loc: MA 5, 9, 10
My thought is we do not have to, not should we try to, meet market demand. The world keeps growing, and Puget Sound is not designed to feed the world. That's why people want to shut down commercial, cuz it's already over taxing the resource that is ours, the people of the state, to enjoy. It's not our responsibility to exploit it as a commercial Enterprise.

Edited by ned (12/18/17 09:59 AM)

#982621 - 12/18/17 09:58 AM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: GodLovesUgly]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: GodLovesUgly
What I would like to know is this. With all the anti-gillnet hate, and all of the commercial fishing hate, and all of the complaining about our seasons being closed due to low returns, and not enough fish to go around.... WHAT exactly do people propose to meet the market demand for fresh fish if we drastically curtain commercial fishing, which so many people seem to desperately want?

NT gill net salmon fishing probably should be reduced.......as to your comment on people wanting "fresh fish", this is not PRE 1973, there are ways to get fresh fish. Right now, in Aberdeen, there is fresh salmon for sale.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#982622 - 12/18/17 11:14 AM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Department of Ecology managed the water quality, WDFW managed the fish health, WDFW and WADNR managed the site, Clallam County managed the shorelines concerns/operating issues.

It is a rather large fuster cluck as the buck can easily be passed to somebody else.

It is easy to say that PS can't produce fish to "feed the world" but as human populations grows they need food from somewhere whether it be salmon, crab, shrimp, clams, oysters, mussels. People gotta eat. Even if "we" decide not to feed them, somebody else will have to which compromises their environment.

#982624 - 12/18/17 12:01 PM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: GodLovesUgly]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

That is the classic argument for overfishing. There is more than enough salmon in the marketplace. Don't you see it in every major grocery store? Indeed, a lot of it goes to waste when it doesn't sell before the pull date.

I wish the commercial market would diversify more, focusing on niche markets that deliver maximum value to fishermen for top quality product. There is some of that going on, but so far, it's only been on top of the usual trawl and gillnet impacts. As resources become scarce, their value increases. If salmon are to remain a sustainable resource, we need to recognize and capitalize on their true value in commercial markets.

The other argument is to compare commercial fishing to commercial hunting. The later ceased to be legal once it became clear that the wildlife couldn't sustain it. At what point will the former reach the tipping point? It's a sure thing with mammals, but will people ever make tough decisions to save a bunch of cold, slimy fish?

#982625 - 12/18/17 01:10 PM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: 5 * General Evo]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
US/Canada treaty should be challenged due to impacts on Salish Sea Orcas. IMHO hungry whales lead to this event.

So, who will provide food for the Orcas?
I thought at the Commission meeting, the WDFW Director said it would be 3-4 years before increased hatchery production levels to sustain the Orcas?

#982626 - 12/18/17 01:33 PM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Slab, that is the reason why the only short term solution to the whales is closing the fisheries that intercept the food. Takes time for the increased hatchery production to be collected as eggs, hatched, grown, released, and then survive those selfsame fisheries to return.

Habitat fixes are the exactly the same. Say you could get the Congress and WA Leg to fully fund habitat fixes so that all the impediments are fixed by July 1 of 2019. Hey, we got the Big Dude in the WH who can make 'Murica Great. Anyway, it is all fixed so that everything that spawns after 1/1/19 has ideal habitat. It is still 4 more years before the first big push pop adult chi book come back. 2023. Until then, the whales can starve.

#982628 - 12/18/17 01:53 PM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: GodLovesUgly]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines

There are plenty of fish, they can and will still raise them here. Just not in Puget Sound.
Fish farms are not concerned about market demand. They want there farms where Pacific Salmon live. This is about market share.

Farmed Atlantic Salmon now outnumber Wild Atlantic Salmon 99 to 1.
If they can decrease the amount of wild Pacific Salmon, They can raise the price exponentially for there inferior product.
What is the easier way to make more money? Double there output and watch the price go into the toilet?
Or replace 10-20% of Pacific salmon with farms and the price for farmed Atlantic Salmon goes way up.

#982629 - 12/18/17 01:56 PM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: 5 * General Evo]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Northern, AK & DC interceptions decrease the biomass needed to sustain the Southern pods.

#982631 - 12/18/17 02:12 PM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: Carcassman]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

The Northern fisheries should be limited. We are left below escapement?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

#982632 - 12/18/17 02:21 PM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

The Northern folks could say the same thing. Leave us alone and you cut back.

Why is their fishery less "legitimate" than ours? I could say that they are fishing on juveniles, mixed stocks, and such but so do we. By the way, I don't support the northern fisheries at all.

#982667 - 12/19/17 12:19 PM Re: bye bye Cooke Aquaculture [Re: Carcassman]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
The Northern folks could say the same thing. Leave us alone and you cut back.

Why is their fishery less "legitimate" than ours? I could say that they are fishing on juveniles, mixed stocks, and such but so do we. By the way, I don't support the northern fisheries at all.

I would say theirs is less legitimate because it exploits a huge percentage of OUR fish. Our fish, plus Canada's, plus Alaska's puts very nearly every Pacific Salmon at risk if being caught in their fishery.

One more outstanding argument for terminal fisheries, if you ask me. Everybody gets to fish over what their own conservation management yields, and nothing more. Good management rewarded with good returns, as it should be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 365 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |