Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#98295 - 10/31/00 12:36 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
My problem is not with this post as the barkhole is far from a secret.
What I meant is it's taken many of us lots of years to find spots and learn technics over much trial and error ,the old saying pay you're dues doesn't hold water anymore,
With the internet ideas are exchanged and locations given
I'm not against this but I have a really BAD feeling that all it's going to do is create more competition with more educated fisherman the other saying that 10% catch 90% of the fish is changing also,
Don't get me wrong I'm all for people doing well in their pursuit of Salmon and Steelhead
we need to practice catch and release more and sometimes just keep our mouths shut!!
Competition is good for business but not for fish..just my .02
BTW just because we are more knowledgeable in our technics it doesn't mean that we'll catch more fish,I truly believe there is a special skill involved in detecting the suttle bite of a Steelhead...ever wonder how many you missed and never even felt

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft }<<(('>----<'))>>{
Release all Wild Fish

#98296 - 10/31/00 05:58 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
Osprey,

What are your thoughts on the position that the more people that succeed while fishing, the more fisherman there are out there, the more people to fight the fight against the nets?

I feel the more we try to be exclusive, the fewer of us there are for this fight. Would you rather have more fisherman and more fish, or less of both?

Just curious, this was not written to start any disagreements or aurguments.

Steve

#98297 - 11/01/00 10:45 AM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
retriever Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton, Wa
Steve, your point is very valid. We just have to hope that with more fish, spread out over a larger area that more "secret" spots will emerge. I wonder: with the good fishing we've had this fall along the I5 corridor, was the presure off the Forks area?

#98298 - 11/02/00 12:02 AM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
Hohwaiian Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, Washington, US
"Secret spots" change from season to season, and in many cases after an extreme highwater. For me, part of the joy derived from fishing this state's rivers and streams is rediscovering how to successfully angle these river stretches that have metamorphosed. As we know, the preferred holding water differs amonst the various salmonids. Thus, this season's springer spot may flatten out and become next summer's steelhead honey hole. Fifty percent of the game is, and will always be, correctly reading the water. The other half is composed of factors such as: friends (especially guide friends), observation (watch other successful anglers), and of course luck (every so often a boondoggled bait finds a new hidden slot!). I have yet to find a secret spot utilyzing directions I found surfing the internet.

#98299 - 11/02/00 10:23 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
fiveweight Offline
Fry

Loc: lake shoecraft
After reading all this discussion about the bark hole I'm ready to jump in my truck and drive there right now. Only problem is I live a long way away, I have a job, I have a family, I have another commitments, I guess I'm like most other guys and just because I read about something doesn't mean that I'll be there the next day.

#98300 - 11/03/00 01:35 AM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
TK Offline
Parr

Loc: Snohomish, WA, USA
Is it humanly possible to beat Fishhead Fred to the Bark Hole?

TK

#98301 - 11/04/00 09:19 PM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
m_ray Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: East Kent
Right on Rich!lets hook up on monday's and fish spot x

#98302 - 11/05/00 01:26 AM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
NativeSteelhead Offline
Alevin

Loc: Port Orchard
No, you can not beat "FishHead" Fred to the bark hole. His friends call him Fred.

#98303 - 11/05/00 10:47 AM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
fishtale Offline
Spawner

Loc: Kng
He will always be FISHHEAD to me after I saw a 25lb steehead in the bottom of his freezer incased in a large chunk of ice!!!! and his 16ft tackle box(Willie).

#98304 - 11/07/00 11:40 AM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
Steve J.The exchanging of ideas and technics are good, catching Salmon is one thing consitantly hooking and landing Steelhead is not quite the same,Locations on the hand are hard to come by there are no secret spots any more ...well at least not very many and as Howaiian said the rivers are changing every season ,but if you want to give up a great location and new tech...good for you ,I won't stand in judgement of anyone,but that doesn't mean I gonna give up much I'm kinda like a old hook nose Silver....you gotta earn it
the only way we as fisherman can effectivley make change to stand together to we are not going to make nets go away by hold a ***** fest ,only united can we be heard

#98305 - 11/08/00 01:21 AM Re: Bark Hole on Sol Duc
carpenterchickslovetonail Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Ocean Shores, Wa, USA
FishHead Fred it MINT! My husband and some of his friends had been camped out on the Allen Bar a few years ago and left their tent pegs behind. Well, the following summer on another fishing/camping trip we ran into Fred and he handed us our tent pegs. That guy's a player!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish_Hunter14, George Montain, mochoman, RPetzold, Sparkey, steelheadfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 272 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645441 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |