THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#982904 - 12/27/17 06:27 PM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: milkBottleMikey]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
The best thing that ever happened to the WDFG was the ESA. From the gubmits point of view.

Gave the WDFG the loophole to escape operating state hatcheries.

I knowTPL is thanking it's lucky star they nolonger have to keep the cowlitz full of steelhead 12 months of the year.

#982909 - 12/27/17 09:07 PM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: milkBottleMikey]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
The Mighty Cowlitz? Glad I cut my teeth on the Skagit and Sauk and those "crowds?" Are you serious?

Rather have a root canal without Novacaine than put up with that Sh..! Thanks Doc for sharing that vintage footage!

BTW SE AK numbers in from ADFG last night and looks like I'll be headed to Kodiak this year for Chinook! Chasing me further and further North each year :-/ Chile looks tempting these days too! How I long for the old days!

#982923 - 12/28/17 09:28 AM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: Brewer]
Salmo g. Online   content
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Brewer
The best thing that ever happened to the WDFG was the ESA. From the gubmits point of view.

Gave the WDFG the loophole to escape operating state hatcheries.

I knowTPL is thanking it's lucky star they nolonger have to keep the cowlitz full of steelhead 12 months of the year.

Brewer,

You completely misunderestimate WDFW's intentions. WDFW likes to operate hatcheries, and lots of them. With hatcheries comes something called FTEs (Full Time Equivalent jobs). The more FTEs, the more jobs with the Department. The more jobs, the bigger the Department's budget. Hatcheries are perfect for a government bureaucracy.

As for Tacoma Power, it never did have ". . . to keep the Cowlitz full of steelhead 12 months of the year." Tacoma is required to provide fisheries mitigation as prescribed in its FERC license. However it appears that since the license went into effect in 2002, the FTC (fisheries technical committee) decided to reduce certain hatchery obligations that they think may favor recovery of ESA-listed species. Like it or not, they have the authority to make those recommendations, and if FERC approves, that becomes the operative mitigation requirements.

Sg

#982924 - 12/28/17 09:43 AM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: milkBottleMikey]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
WDFW would like nothing more than to pump out hatchery fish. Whole lot easier to manage and. like Salmo says, it brings in lots and lots of money.

The desire to "restore" wild fish above the Cowlitz dams is entirely a response to ESA and the fear that more areas would be required. There is the belief that the existing habitat above the Cowlitz dams is the best available for recovery, especially Spring Chinook.

Asa long as they are working on the solution(s) they really don't actually have to do much. Cheaper to study than to implement.

One of the neater concepts of recovery is that the hatcheries there are mitigation for lost production above the dams. To pick a number, let's say that the mitigation is for a run of 10,000 springs, 10,000 steelhead, etc. If they install the necessary passage and they get those numbers back as wild fish then the hatcheries need no longer be funded by Tacoma because they have mitigated.

When I was involved, WDFW wanted Tacoma to keep funding the hatchery even if the wild production achieved mitigation.

#982928 - 12/28/17 10:06 AM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: milkBottleMikey]
Brewer Offline

My understanding of TPL was equal fish replacement after Mayfield dam was put in. I have heard this for decades from the locals. So yes I'm sure i have this correct.

I noticed the comment made in Vine that the dam controls the high water caused by rains. The severe downside to this control was TPL constant YoYo raising and dropping the water. We all know how this greatly negates fish bite behavior. Nothing was more agravating than know TPL had dropped the water 3' over night or raised it. It completely would change the the fishing success. Always for the worse.

#982929 - 12/28/17 10:08 AM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: milkBottleMikey]
River Nutrients

Carcassman,

To the best of my knowledge, restoring salmon and steelhead above the Cowlitz dams originated in the late 1980s with the group "Friends of the Cowlitz (FOC)." They got a local state legislator to require that then WDF and WDG study the feasibility of restoring anadromous fish to the upper Cowlitz basin. This appears to have been partly in response to the Lewis County PUD proposal to construct the Cowlitz Falls Dam. FOC also sued Bonneville Power - who provided the $$ for Lewis PUD - and obtained BPA's commitment to financially support this upriver restoration. FOC had in mind a combination of both hatchery and natural fish production for the upper basin in addition to the existing hatchery production downstream of the dams. At that time, FOC, like many others did, and some still do, thought that a fish is a fish, and that hatchery and wild fish are the same.

So after Cowlitz Falls Dam had already been designed, downstream passage fishways were appended as an afterthought. It didn't work very well.

Then came ESA listings in 1997-1998, during the relicensing of Tacoma's Cowlitz dams. It's an understatement to say that has complicated things a bit. Legally Tacoma had limited ESA obligations, so all the stakeholders tried to cobble together a license that included full mitigation of project impacts to fishery resources and still passed ESA muster, which remained vague at the time.

The license terms & conditions were written such that hatchery production could be reduced by one fish for each wild fish that returned to barrier dam. (I know because I wrote it.) I read some years ago now that the FTC modified that requirement so that each wild fish would account for 4 or 5 hatchery fish since wild fish are more productive than hatchery fish. More significantly, the mitigation obligation was modified from the metric of 5-year moving averages to mitigation benchmark values (measured as recruits) to set tonnages of smolt production, more like the old license, only lower. Whether this tilts mitigation requirements out of balance remains to be seen.

One might say that WDFW's major success in the Cowlitz license is that they still have the FTEs.

Sg

#982930 - 12/28/17 10:12 AM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: milkBottleMikey]
River Nutrients

Brewer posted: "My understanding of TPL was equal fish replacement after Mayfield dam was put in. I have heard this for decades from the locals. So yes I'm sure i have this correct. "

Brewer,

No disrespect intended to your local source of information, but what matters legally is what was included in the terms and conditions of Tacoma's original FERC license, as amended in about 1966 or thereabouts. So you may be correct about what your local sources told you, but understand that is not necessarily the same as what was in the license. And the license is what controls actions on the ground, or in the water in the case of hatcheries.

Sg

#982931 - 12/28/17 10:15 AM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: milkBottleMikey]
Brewer Offline

My understanding of TPL was equal fish replacement after Mayfield dam was put in. I have heard this for decades from the locals. So yes I'm sure i have this correct.

I noticed the comment made in Vine that the dam controls the high water caused by rains. The severe downside to this control was TPL constant YoYo raising and dropping the water. We all know how this greatly negates fish bite behavior. Nothing was more agravating than know TPL had dropped the water 3' over night or raised it. It completely would change the the fishing success. Always for the worse.

#982933 - 12/28/17 10:53 AM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: Salmo g.]
River Nutrients

The first mitigation requirement was X fish to the dam. WDF (some would say conveniently) harvested those fish in the ocean. Tacoma complained but WDF liked how it was written...

The new license changed the parameters. One that got me was that permanent up and down passage above would need to be installed if Spring Chinook or Steelhead achieved self-sustaining status. As I recall, the first type of trap was approaching steelhead sustainability (which would trigger permanent passage) but was getting next to no springers. So, that trap was abandoned in search of a new one that would trap Springer smolts. It got more salmon, not enough for sustainability, but blew away any hopes for the steelhead. I think WDFW preferred either the Springers or overall failure............

#982937 - 12/28/17 11:49 AM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: milkBottleMikey]
River Nutrients

Carcassman,

Yes, there was a numeric requirement for coho to be met at barrier dam in the 1966/67 agreement. Tacoma caught on to WDF opening the Columbia to gillnets 5 or more days per week so that the mitigation requirement could not be met. That's but one reason why Tacoma wanted a different metric in the new license.

The new license requires upstream and downstream passage for the term of the license. Different stakeholders wanted different things. So there was a measure requiring volitional passage from Mayfield Lake up and over Mossyrock if and when wild returns +> 1.0, indicating sustainability. That term also included the option of using that passage money for additional fish enhancement if the FTC agreed.

Personally I never thought it would be a good idea to transport all wild fish to Mayfield Lake to allow self sorting (which is a desirable thing) and then re-trap the adults that show up at the base of Mossyrock. Fish passage history is replete with losses between dams so the benefit of fish self sorting would be lost to fewer fish arriving at the next upstream dam. This has required giving Tiltion origin fish a mark when they arrive at the Mayfield fish counting house, but such is the price of wanting and having both hydropower and fisheries from the same river.

My impression is that different WDFW representatives wanted different things from the new license. The one thing they all seemed to agree on was no reduction in FTEs. Some care about restoring wild fish to the upper basin, and some, like Region 5 management, were most concerned about retaining harvestable salmon in the ocean and LCR, with lip service to restoring wild fish in the upper basin.

BTW, Tacoma was just starting the new juvenile downstream passage facility at Lewis PUD's Cowlitz Falls Dam in early 2016. (Complicated agreement between two utilities that weren't getting along a few years back) It should be in service either this spring (2018) or the next (2019). I need to check on this. This will be key to the reality of recoving natural salmon and steelhead production in the uppper watershed.

Sg

#982939 - 12/28/17 12:39 PM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: milkBottleMikey]
River Nutrients

I agree that WDFW was rather scattered in their desires. Obviously keep the FTEs. R5 really is all about having major fisheries. As I heard a Lummi say, "Wild fish are nice but the people gotta eat".

Personally, the whole idea of getting fish around dams seems a waste of time and certainly money. Concentrate on the streams undammed in the anadromous zone. No hatcheries there. As we develop new sources of power to replace hydro, take out the most downstream dam and work upstream.

#982950 - 12/28/17 04:13 PM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: milkBottleMikey]
Paul Smenis Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: In a drift boat...

#982954 - 12/28/17 05:22 PM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: milkBottleMikey]
River Nutrients

Carcassman posted: ". . . the whole idea of getting fish around dams seems a waste of time and certainly money."

I suspect that many of the people at power companies and utilities that have to provide fish passage, instream flows for fish, and hatcheries would agree with you. However, they have no legal obligations outside the area impacted by their projects. I came to regard fisheries mitigation as a legitimate cost of doing business. If the prospective benefits of a power dam are in the public interest and worth having to a energy utility, then the cost of effective - no net loss - mitigation is just part of the cost of the project, like the dam itself, the power lines, and roads and ROW.

Would you really want no anadromous fish on the Columbia River upstream of Bonneville? I think these mitigation measures are the logical price of human development in watersheds.

Sg

#982955 - 12/28/17 05:32 PM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: milkBottleMikey]
River Nutrients

If we are going to mitigate, then let's really mitigate. For the ecosystem. Put half a million Chinook above Chief Joe. All we seem concerned about is mitigating the catch. Actually, the NI catch. The Mitchell Act hatcheries should have been above the dams to get fish to return there. Still, there is no way to mitigate for Columbia River salmon, through natural production, as long as the dams exist. The Columbia from Bonneville to the inlet to Roosevelt is no longer salmon habitat.

I don't think we have the money, or the will, to mitigate the ecological loss that the dams and agriculture have brought. Use hatchery fish there. Concentrate the damage and restore other watersheds. I would prefer to see the Columbia downstream of Bonneville and the OP north of GH to be exclusively wild salmonids that exist at ecosystem appropriate levels. Above the dams? Meet ecological needs with hatchery production and adults passed above all dams. No need for DS passage as the goal is to get the ecological function of spawning salmon returned.

#982957 - 12/28/17 05:59 PM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: milkBottleMikey]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
You want to eliminate some of strongest Salmon and Steelhead and cut them off from all that Spawning habitat? To what? create a pikeminnow hatchery?

Please do just the opposite. Collect returning hatchery fish at Bonneville. The future of hatchery fish is volunteers and fish boxes on all drainages that the wild fish have been wiped out. We should have started by now.

#982961 - 12/28/17 07:58 PM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: milkBottleMikey]
River Nutrients

If the wild fish can make it, fine. But spend the money where it will get results.

#982971 - 12/29/17 09:28 AM Re: Want solitude? Go to the Cowlitz... [Re: Carcassman]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
If we are going to mitigate, then let's really mitigate. For the ecosystem. Put half a million Chinook above Chief Joe. All we seem concerned about is mitigating the catch. Actually, the NI catch. The Mitchell Act hatcheries should have been above the dams to get fish to return there. Still, there is no way to mitigate for Columbia River salmon, through natural production, as long as the dams exist. The Columbia from Bonneville to the inlet to Roosevelt is no longer salmon habitat.

I don't think we have the money, or the will, to mitigate the ecological loss that the dams and agriculture have brought. Use hatchery fish there. Concentrate the damage and restore other watersheds. I would prefer to see the Columbia downstream of Bonneville and the OP north of GH to be exclusively wild salmonids that exist at ecosystem appropriate levels. Above the dams? Meet ecological needs with hatchery production and adults passed above all dams. No need for DS passage as the goal is to get the ecological function of spawning salmon returned.

Good stuff, in my opinion. A realistic approach is what is needed if we want both fish and fishing to live on.

Can we go all wild in GH, while we're at it? I think it could do pretty darn well if given half a chance.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1080 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |