THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#982637 - 12/18/17 05:43 PM .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid.
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Could you imagine being hit with a 400 grain bullet pushing 900 fps crazy This old timer knows how to shoot. I've shot my Cousins 30-30 revolver, it wasn't that ungodly to shoot.

- Albert Einstein.

#982648 - 12/18/17 09:27 PM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: Sol Duc]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA

#982651 - 12/18/17 10:21 PM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: NickD90]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

You win....... crazy That could detach your retina. I have a SW 642 air weight, shooting .38 +P is a bitch after the first 25 rounds. I finally started to use a golf glove which made me want to practice more often. I cringe when I hear People say that 642 is good for a Woman to own because it only weighs 16 oz's, even gun store jockey's. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

- Albert Einstein.

#982675 - 12/19/17 06:05 PM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: Sol Duc]
RICH G
Unregistered

Cool gun but does not cause much trauma unless it hits bone. If it hits bone it will shatter the bone and then some but if it does not hit bone it's merely a large caliber hole puncher. You need velocity to cause a traumatic wound channel. High velocity makes hamburger, big bullet going slow punches holes.

#982680 - 12/19/17 07:54 PM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

400+ grain bullet going 900 fps is crazy fast Rich, from a revolver. Heck,an average .45acp .230 grain bullet is around 900 fps. Would you be willing to get gut shot to prove your point? smile Still would like a 12 ga slug for a Griz, I believe those slugs are from .75 to .69 caliber. Try to avoid their skulls,I've heard of bullets ricocheting off their thick skulls.

Edited by Sol Duc (12/19/17 08:20 PM)

- Albert Einstein.

#982689 - 12/20/17 06:31 AM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: Sol Duc]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Was reading AK Fish and Wildife's mag a long time ago and they took up the question of what hand-held weapon would provide guaranteed survival from a Grizzly charge. They limited to self defense, close range (you were really in danger and not just scared), and when you hit it most anywhere it stopped.

Their conclusion is that such a weapon did not exist. The kicker was the guarantee of stoppage. Maybe we know more now but it was food for thought especially for my friends who worked streams up there.

#982697 - 12/20/17 11:20 AM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: Sol Duc]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Had a weightlifting pard from decades ago that had a custom 45-70 wheel gun. When I inquired as to its purpose, he declared, "Home defense." We both laughed and he said that he'd likely not have to shoot a bad guy but just point the business end's big black hole at them to quell any bad intent.

Field carry for bears is another deal entirely. As with most priorities in such matters, the skill/temperament of the one getting charged by a bear with bad intent holds a high place. As does bullet selection rather than pistol case volume.

Read a thread on another forum about big bears and sidearms in AK. Like hereabouts, the opinions were all over the place by those that had never been of personal interest to a big bear. Then an elderly AK guide posted pics and a story that knocked the posers out of contention. He had fishing/hunting clients safely interacting with ursus for decades, until one day he's closely following a husband/wife down a trail through riverside dog hair when he hears a freight train crashing through the adjacent brush. His clients were schooled to drop to avoid the line of fire and the old boy pulled a Glock 17 from his holster and got a few hasty rounds off as it veered its charge just inches in front of the couple. The group backed out to the sounds of some brief thrashing and chilling sounds just a few feet away in the brush. Local game officer arrived and they returned to the scene. The autopsy showed that the man's aim was true and all of the 147 gr. Buffalo Bore Hard Cast bullets dug deep and struck vital plumbing....

#982698 - 12/20/17 11:26 AM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: Sol Duc]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Gun control is truly being able to hit where you intend to. I have read of folks successfully protecting themselves with a .22LR. Lack of a functioning brain stopped the bear. Unlike politicians. I agree that in situations with any dangerous wildlife the human needs really have his wits about him, or her.

#982710 - 12/20/17 02:37 PM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: Sol Duc]
NickD90 Offline

I may be one of the few people on this board that has had an actual confrontation with an aggressive bear (a big boar Blackie that just wouldn't listen). I had no weapon or spray on me. What I did have was speed and smarts. Lots and lots of speed and smarts. The person that said you should never run from a bear, has never seen me run full speed off of a tall cliff to make my escape. I was a bit worse for wear from the fall and sudden stop, but at least my face remains beautiful to this very day.

Twas' in my younger days. Now I just carry, shoot first and ask questions later. I'm getting too old for any monkey business.

#982711 - 12/20/17 02:59 PM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: NickD90]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: NickD90
I may be one of the few people on this board that has had an actual confrontation with an aggressive bear

Or, maybe not.

#982712 - 12/20/17 03:08 PM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: NickD90]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Moose are by far more dangerous than bears,and have killed WAY more People. I was fishing the Situk River in Yak,my bud was up stream about 100 yards. He started pointing at me and I thought it was just another curious Griz, I turned around and there is a giant Moose around 7' tall. I was lucky he was just heading to the river to get a drink. This damn thing dwarfed me. grin

Too many encounters to list in the same area with bears. I worked for AA at the time, my fishing buddy and I would fly up their on our days off. My friend knew a guy who owned a lodge there. We just had to bring him a few fifths of Whiskey for a place to stay a crappy van with about half of the floor left. grin And a 13" .44 mag. We pulled Silvers out of that river in the 22 -24 pound range. The largest strain of Silvers in the World if I'm not mistaking. We always checked the flights to make sure we were in first class, costing us around 25 dollars. thumbs

- Albert Einstein.

#982722 - 12/20/17 06:25 PM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: ]
NickD90 Offline

Originally Posted By: ReefSkunk
I may be one of the few people on this board that has had an actual confrontation with an aggressive bear

Or, maybe not.

I said bear, not beard. wink

Moose vid for SD

#982723 - 12/20/17 06:31 PM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: NickD90]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

That was crazy....moving that fast in deep snow. A lot more People have been killed by Moose than Bear, not even close.

- Albert Einstein.

#982735 - 12/21/17 12:08 PM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: ]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Originally Posted By: ReefSkunk

Or, maybe not.

Had a face-to-face with Mr. Horribilis on one of the "up north" rivers some years back. His charge stopped about 20 feet short, likely due to the intimidating Sage 8 wt. he detected up close with his beady eyes. He told me what he had to say, I thanked the grandfather in the fur coat for his message and we both lived to tell about it.

That brief exchange put into stark contrast life's events that strike fear in the hearts & minds of most folks. If it can't kill me and leave chunks of my remains in its stool, it doesn't carry much sway in the grand scheme. Have subsequently slayed some Goliaths as a result. I remain thankful to both the messenger and the message....

#982736 - 12/21/17 12:21 PM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: Driftin']
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

#982745 - 12/21/17 04:56 PM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: Sol Duc]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Nick the backyard deer hunter cracks me up.

#982746 - 12/21/17 05:11 PM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: Sol Duc]
NickD90 Offline

I crack myself up too. I just re-read how poorly I said my even more poorly formed thoughts and it wasn't the bestest of executions. F' it. Personal awareness is overrated.

#982760 - 12/21/17 10:27 PM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: NickD90]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Nick, never deviate on the dark side, and hold no prisoners. smile

- Albert Einstein.

#983159 - 01/03/18 02:00 PM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: Sol Duc]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I heard Rich G got into a hard fought wrestling match with Bigfoot. He just couldn't get to his gun quick enough and before you know it it he was on his back with that big furry creature pounding the crap out of him. Fortunately he was saved by men from outer space. Thank God for UFOs and the brave creatures that pilot them.

#983444 - 01/10/18 12:23 PM Re: .45-70 Hand Cannon Vid. [Re: Sol Duc]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
+1 to Stam. He's my bear killing hero. BEST BEAR STORY EVER!!!!!!!!

+1 to Driftin' - pretty sure I fished that spot. I think I even stepped over a pile of your poop. It's now a monument up there. smile

-1 to NickD - as we know that was an attempted rape by a ManBearPig. No one really knows who was luckier that day.

-1 to Reef. He's so god damn big and mean looking that I'm sure the poor bear needs therapy now.

Me - I came nose-to-nose to a blackie up on the same river as Driftin'. Was as the campground in a dense trail. We both came around our bends and ended up face to fvcking face. I sh!t myself and ran the fvck as fast I could the other way. The bear also sh!t itself and also ran the fvck as fast as it could the other way.

I consider that a tie.

smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Born2Boat, Dirk Mc Girk, Frankster, Oz-fish, starfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |