Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 42 of 201 < 1 2 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 200 201 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#931509 - 06/06/15 10:07 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET *** [Re: Rivrguy]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Is the CR-102 on the Dept's website? I couldn't find it.

#931511 - 06/06/15 10:38 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Eric]
J. T. Piscator Offline
Alevin

The CR 102 for Commercial Fishing in the Harbor is on the web site. I am concerned because I have been trying to obtain the CR 102 for Sportfishing in the Grays Harbor area rivers. I was told that it was filed the same day as the CR 102 for commercial fishing and would be posted on the website but is has been 2 1/2 days but it is not there.

#931514 - 06/06/15 11:43 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
You can find the CR 102 rule making links here:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regulations/development.html

#931516 - 06/06/15 12:25 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: bushbear]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks. thumbs

#931676 - 06/09/15 12:50 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Eric]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

Here is a link to the proposed GH & Willapa REC seasons modeled up on FTC. It is a bit to transfer off Excel and formatting goes nuts. So hope this helps. Remember this is PROPOSED.

http://fishingthechehalis.net/daves-blog

#931699 - 06/09/15 05:44 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
In GH the putting the NT nets in on Sunday is a bit problematic as it takes away the Lakeside ( above the 101 bridge ) and Port reach's for the weekend fishers. ( it is a mom & pop type fishery )

WDFW, this is unacceptable! there are handicapped and elderly people who fish there because it is the only place they can get to easily. These non tribal gillnetters need their umbilical welfare lifeline cut, and right now. Just [Bleeeeep!] get it over with for crying out loud. Enough manipulations. JUST SAY NO TO IN-RIVER GILL NETTING!

Edited by fish4brains (06/09/15 06:43 PM)

#931714 - 06/09/15 08:39 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: fish4brains]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Originally Posted By: fish4brains

WDFW, this is unacceptable! there are handicapped and elderly people who fish there because it is the only place they can get to easily. These non tribal gillnetters need their umbilical welfare lifeline cut, and right now. Just [Bleeeeep!] get it over with for crying out loud. Enough manipulations. JUST SAY NO TO IN-RIVER GILL NETTING!

WDFW does not hear this....2A, in river, is the one of the very favorite netting area to some of the "favorite gill netters".....this has been approached many, many, many, many, times over the past few years.

All the past WDFW Region 6 "upper personnel" have refused to listen to any approach to 2A as the area of the Chehalis River that should be small boat and handicapped fisherpersons over NT gill netting.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#931852 - 06/11/15 06:51 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: DrifterWA]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Last heads up for the Commission meeting with Willapa Management Policy front & center. As hard as it is to give up a Saturday I urge folks to attend and participate. I can say for sure at this minute senior agency staff & Commercial interest are in a all out full court press to roll back reform in the Willapa Estuary. It is in the trenches time guys or accept the outcome that staff is pushing to throw conservation under the bus.

NEWS RELEASE
Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/
June 9, 2015
Commission will consider salmon policy
for Willapa Bay, discuss wildlife-conflict rules
OLYMPIA - The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission is expected to take action on a new management policy for Willapa Bay salmon fisheries and a proposal to reopen fisheries for some flatfish in two bays in Hood Canal at a public meeting June 12-13 in Olympia.

The commission, a citizen panel appointed by the Governor to set policy for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), will also invite public comments on new rules addressing conflicts between people and wildlife.

The commission will meet both days in Room 172 of the Natural Resources Building, 1111 Washington St. S.E., on the state Capital Campus in Olympia. A complete agenda is available at http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings.html.
State fishery managers have been working since last October with a citizen committee and the public to develop options for a new policy for Willapa Bay salmon fisheries. The current proposal, which would take effect next year, includes provisions to conserve wild salmon, clarify catch allocation, and reduce conflicts between sport and commercial fishers in the bay.

In separate action, the commission will consider a proposal by WDFW to reopen recreational fishing for flounder, sole and other flatfish - except halibut - in Quilcene Bay and the northern portion of Dabob Bay in Hood Canal.

Due to low-dissolved oxygen conditions, Hood Canal has been closed to fishing for flatfish since August 2004, but fishery managers believe they can allow recreational fishing for some flatfish in Quilcene and Dabob bays while providing adequate protection for those stocks.
WDFW is also seeking a variety of changes in state rules addressing crop damage, predation on livestock and other sources of conflict between humans and wildlife. One proposal clarifies requirements for a crop or livestock producer to receive state compensation for losses caused by wildlife. Another provision modifies certification requirements for state Wildlife Control Operators.

WDFW will also accept written comments on this issue through June 30 online at http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regulations/wildlife_interaction/ or by mail to "Wildlife Conflict Rules," Wildlife Program, at 600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501.
In addition, WDFW is proposing to acquire 15.4 acres to improve elk fencing in Kittitas County, and purchase two smaller parcels in Kitsap and Snohomish counties for mitigation purposes. The department also proposes granting an easement for a water pipeline in Clark County, and auctioning off four properties in Skagit and Whatcom counties that have not provided suitable habitat for fish and wildlife.

Edited by Rivrguy (06/11/15 06:52 AM)

#931883 - 06/11/15 12:55 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Soft bite Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Central Park
I just thought I would post my public comment to the commission concerning the new Willapa Bay policy. The 9:00 am Saturday meeting will be worth attending.

After extensive modeling with the new AHA model the department demonstrated that the maximum exploitation of Naselle natural origin Chinook is 14% if recovery of the run is to be achieved in 16-21 years. Anything beyond 14% will result in perpetuating the decline. It was disappointing that the department focused on a 20% exploitation rate in proposed versions A, B, and C. After the commission asked the department for a plan using a maximum of 14% exploitation there are now five proposed versions, A, B, C, D, and E. It should be an outright embarrassment to the leadership that these first three versions at 20% exploitation are still on the table.

The department’s long term focus on harvesting to the last theoretically available fish clearly shows in these models. Recovery of weak natural origin stocks seems to be a concept that the department does not buy into. At first the commission’s request to model 14% exploitation seemed extreme because it would limit harvest. Upon further reflection this is really the maximum exploitation rate possible if recovery is ever going to be achieved. Imprecision in the model or over exploitation by the harvesters may result in never achieving recovery. The department really should have presented a plan that was based on one or two percent less exploitation than the theoretical maximum.

The remaining plans D and E both consider harvesting to the theoretical maximum exploitation but version D considers an unrealistic hatchery production rate, leaving only version E as a viable choice among the five versions. The Twin Harbors Fish And Wildlife Advocacy presented a modified version E which I signed onto and support. Thank you for your consideration of the modified version E.

#931889 - 06/11/15 01:15 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Soft bite]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

This is the inriver season announcement for the CR102. Hit the link and read away.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is proposing rule changes for recreational salmon fishing: Coastal Freshwater. The agency developed these changes through a pre-season planning process known as “North of Falcon” that includes a series of public meetings with federal, state, tribal and industry representatives and other concerned citizens. Rules based on the North of Falcon planning process change from year to year to reflect resource availability and achieve conservation goals.

The CR-102 and proposed WAC can be viewed and downloaded at: http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regulations/development.html.

In accordance with RCW 34.05.320, a public hearing will be held on Tuesday, July 7, 2015, at 11:00 a.m., at the Region 6 Fish and Wildlife Office, Conference Room, 48 Devonshire Road, Montesano, WA, 98563.

Please also be aware that to reduce paper and associated costs, from now on this information will be provided through email and public news release. To continue receiving this information, please sign up at this website, http://wdfw.wa.gov/lists/, and select “WDFW Regulation Updates.” The public news release will continue to provide contact information for those that need a hard copy.

In case you are unable to or do not wish to attend the public hearing, you may submit written comments to me, Charmane Ashbrook, as shown below. WDFW must receive comments by July 3, 2015. For an electronic or printed copy of the proposed rules, please contact Charmane.Ashbrook@dfw.wa.gov or call (360) 586-0734.

Charmane Ashbrook
600 Capitol Way N.
Olympia, WA 98501-1091
via e-mail at Charmane.Ashbrook@dfw.wa.gov
via fax at (360) 902-2183

Regards,

Charmane

#932075 - 06/13/15 05:15 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

RE: Willapa Bay:

DONE.... discussion/public input/decision this morning in Olympia.

Option E with phase-in modifications tweaked by the Fish Committee passed 6-3 at the WA Fish/Wildlife Commission hearing today.

A very BIG day for conservation and a BIG win for the fish!

Full news release forthcoming.... soon.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#932092 - 06/14/15 05:02 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
My observations, on Saturday 6/13/2015

1. Fish committee of the WDFW did lots of thinking on this final draft of the Willapa Plan.

2. Closed a loop hole that I've hated, that was if the "fleet caught to many fish" in a season, the general attitude was "Oh well". WDFW fish committee put in a penalty box, " if too many fish are taken over the 20% limit", then in the next season that amount will be taken off their total for the new season. No one will ever convince me, that the fleet doesn't know when they are 16 - 20% over what they are entailed to catch.

3. NO netting in 2 T and 2 U, until September 16!!!!!!

I don't even fish Willapa, just been VERY interesting to watch the NOF process this year....

Should be a very good sport fishery, go for it !!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#932093 - 06/14/15 06:38 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: DrifterWA]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

All should understand the 20% harvest rate is for the next 4 years then 14 % after in the future. You know folks there where several key players in WMP process. That said it was not those folks that truly carried the day but it was the citizen participation. A large number of people made every bloody meeting and stayed with the process. Then we have everyone that followed the process on PP and other places. In the end most came to the position do right by the fish, no more than 14% harvest rate and followed up with comments & e mails. It made a difference!

So for myself my greatest satisfaction is the simple fact that most got past personal desires and stuck to conservation first. Sure the Rec lost some & gained some depending on the fishery but the real winner was the natural order and natural spawning fish.

In the not to distant future the Steelhead issue will becoming toward the Commission. The manner in which citizens participated in Grays Harbor & Willapa Management Policies is a template to follow in other regions in the state. It takes effort, time, a willingness to learn the agency processes, and putting the fish first. It can be done as Grays Harbor and Willapa Management Policies have shown.

#932096 - 06/14/15 10:09 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Thanks to Rivrguy and all that stayed in the game with you.

It is hard to believe that the sporties won one.

Mebbe one of these days I'll get out there and catch one.

fp

#932100 - 06/14/15 12:01 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: fp]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: fp

It is hard to believe that the sporties won one.

fp

Make that TWO, fp. Can't forget about the big WIN in Grays Harbor last year.

As far as WB, you got til Sept 16 in 2T to catch one.

As SZ likes to say...

GOOD LUCK!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#932141 - 06/15/15 09:57 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

This is, without question, an overdue improvement for the sport fishery. Congratulations and thanks, Rivrguy and Co.!

I'm pleased to see progress toward managing for recovery as well, but I'm concerned about the phased impact reduction rate. If 14% was the accepted maximum impact for recovery to occur within 20 or so years, how far out will another 4 years of exceeding that target impact by 30% or more move the recovery goal? How will the record heat and dryness this summer (and likely for much of those next 4 years) impact the ability of the wild fish to recover, or for that matter even sustain their current status?

The other concern is that 4 years is a lot of time for the gillnetters and their political puppets to get the plan overturned, while still harvesting at a rate near to what they did last year in the meantime. This fight is likely far from over.

Putting aside the future for a moment, let's get back to the present, and the much-improved sport fishing prospects for Willapa Bay. If we're to continue progress toward recovery, we'll need to keep impacts on wild fish as low as possible. No doubt, the gillnetters will be complaining loudly to the Legislature about the devastating impact this brand of management has on their livelihood. Our best defense will continue to be the economic impact of sport fishing vs. commercial. That means we need to collectively put our money where our mouths have been. The increased sport opportunity in WB this year needs to result in a proportional increase in benefit to the local economies. That means not only flocking to WB from places far and wide, but also buying gas, bait, food, and lodging in Pacific County. If participation doesn't increase dramatically, the gillnetters will be able to legitimately argue wasted opportunity, and they'll be right there with a hand out to scoop up anything we don't use.

All you 206ers who are getting royally screwed in Areas 9/10 this season should plan a trip to WB to ease the pain a bit. Please....

#932154 - 06/15/15 12:35 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The 20% phase-in rate has incentives/disincentives built in.

1) First is the disincentive for over exploitation. If they go over in one year, the following year impact WILL be proportionately REDUCED.

2) Then there's the incentive for selective gear in each of the 4 years. A certain amount of the 20% is held back, to be used only by partipants who want to make the change toward more selective gear. The "selective" benchmark will be a release mortality rate of no greater than 35%

Year 1 will only see 19% max impact allocated to std gillnet gear.... with a 1% holdback for selective gear.
Year 2 will see only 18% max impact allocation for std gear... 2% holdback for selective gear.
Year 3 and 4 will see a 14% max impact allocation for std gear... 6% holdback for selective gear

Without significant "selective gear" adoption by the fleet, we're effectively at 14% after the first 2 years.

If they eventually do come along, then congratulations to them for finally stepping into the 21st century.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#932159 - 06/15/15 01:37 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Glad to see those disincentives to continuing the status quo built in. It will be interesting to see if the gillnetters decide to invest in more selective gear, but I share your doubts on that one.

Thanks again, guys. This really is a remarkable result, and it definitely looks like progress.

#932163 - 06/15/15 02:23 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

They went with Option B on Chum also which is basically similar to what we got in the Grays Harbor plan. It penalizes failure to make escapement.

#932165 - 06/15/15 02:55 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Official announcement here...

http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/jun1515a/

Final policy document posting is pending the additional amendment language introduced and approved by the commission over the weekend.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

Page 42 of 201 < 1 2 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 200 201 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Salmo g., 1 invisible), 1070 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645299 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |