LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#984876 - 02/03/18 05:36 PM Baywolf's Manifesto: Organize or Give Up.
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Many here have supported us at Washington Citizen Sportsmen and our fight for open, fair and equitable fishery management, this is for you.

If you are really pissed about the current way our fisheries management is being done. I mean REALLY pissed enough to DO something about it, then read on. If you are an armchair warrior and can only muster a bitch session behind a keyboard, stand-by, you can help later.

As most know, a small group of us have been fighting for the rec. community for over a year now, in a struggle to have the Tribal North of Falcon meetings, and all meetings concerning our fish, open, fair and equitable. Many have followed us and supported our fight. But honestly, we grew in numbers but not in influence. The current position of the Commission and the Department to keep giving lip service to Transparency, but basically telling the recs to kiss their ass when it comes time to do something about it is going to continue unless the recreational community becomes a force that must be reckoned with.

I started the Washington Citizen Sportsmen, and our petition as a means to educate my fellow fishermen, and to show the leadership and the department that “their” stakeholders wanted change in the way things were being done. I was very naive in thinking they gave a [Bleeeeep!] about what we think. Over the last year I have been talked down to, ignored, lied to and out right told “Open meetings will never happen” by the leaders in WDFW! My good friend Greg and I have spent a good portion of our lives over the last year fighting this fight. We have poured our blood, sweat and tears into this, and the numbers of supporters continued to grow.

So, where are we today? The Commission vote of NO on the NOF policy conversion was very disappointing. Recently, the Vice Chair and other Commissioners have told us they support what we are doing, and even encouraged us to continue. Then, when it came time for them to put action to words, they showed their true colors. The Commission and the senior leadership in WDFW are led by the nose by the AAG’s. They will never challenge the tribes in favor of the recs because they are told NOT TO through scare tactics and legal smoke and mirrors.

If you are still reading this, then YOU ARE probably the type of person who CAN make a difference.

I have done all I can do with the skills and tools I have available to me. Washington Citizen Sportsmen is a grassroots movement. There is no “Non-profit”, no funds, no legal team and certainly no huge organization. We have the ability to speak to thousands, that is our real power.

If you guys are really, seriously wanting to change the way things are, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO START GETTING INVOLVED. I know there is someone out there that can make a web site! There are guys that have Graphic Arts skills, public speaking, belong to lodges, clubs and groups. There has got to be doctors, lawyers and professionals who can help. Business owners who have contacts. Be creative. Hang a freaking sign off a I-5 bridge!

SOMEBODY NEEDS to organize the RECS. I mean like a freaking Million Man March kinda organize! Get a WEB site up and running, start a go fund me and get a lawyer to volunteer some time at cost. Hell, I can send out updates and information through our facebook page and the petition, just let me know. You can’t wait for PSA or CCA to do anything. They are good clubs, but they have to be all things to all people and get buried in all the BS in Olympia!

THERE HAS TO BE SOMEBODY WITH THE SKILLS TO PULL THIS ALL TOGETHER! Talk it out here, formulate a plan, but get organized or give up, simple as that!

I would be happy to help as much as I can, through communications and the such. Here is our email: OpenNOF@gmail.com

I hope this does not just die on the vine, but IT'S UP TO YOU ALL NOW!

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#984882 - 02/03/18 07:43 PM Re: Baywolf's Manifesto: Organize or Give Up. [Re: Bay wolf]
steeleywhopper Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: snohomish county
Pass out STLHD flat bill hats, Addicted Steelhead scent, Soft beads, and you will have every internet fisherman following the march wherever the pied piper leads em.

#984906 - 02/04/18 08:37 AM Re: Baywolf's Manifesto: Organize or Give Up. [Re: Bay wolf]
HOOKUP Offline
Returning Adult

The state government moves at watching paint dry speed and as you know is largely controlled behind the scenes. A better strategy is long term pressure and patience. The tribe knows they are in the driver seat and have no plans on leaving that position any time soon.

Edited by HOOKUP (02/04/18 10:51 AM)

#984933 - 02/04/18 03:57 PM Re: Baywolf's Manifesto: Organize or Give Up. [Re: Bay wolf]
Priority2 Offline
Parr

Bay Wolf you are right on! The responses, well .....

I have been thinking about what you said and trying to find a way to contribute to the cause. I work a lot so time is limited but I would be open to helping ....
I think a go fund me page to a sportsmen advocacy group that actually fights for the sportsman!!!
No such group exists.....
Ideas?

#984934 - 02/04/18 05:02 PM Re: Baywolf's Manifesto: Organize or Give Up. [Re: Priority2]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Originally Posted By: Priority2

I think a go fund me page to a sportsmen advocacy group that actually fights for the sportsman!!!
Ideas?

Too vague. It will just get sidetracked and diluted with multiple issues. Pick one single thing and go after it...relentlessly.

#984938 - 02/04/18 06:21 PM Re: Baywolf's Manifesto: Organize or Give Up. [Re: Priority2]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Priority2

I have been thinking about what you said and trying to find a way to contribute to the cause. I work a lot so time is limited but I would be open to helping ....
Ideas?

Give me a shout at my email : OpenNOF@gmail.com

My statement about a "Go Fund Me" was more directed at a method to pay a lawyer. Provided the lawyer believes in open government and would work at a reduced rate.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#984948 - 02/04/18 11:10 PM Re: Baywolf's Manifesto: Organize or Give Up. [Re: Bay wolf]
steeleywhopper Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: snohomish county
I attended my first meeting this year (Skagit C&R meeting) and the first thing I said to my buddy was that we as fishermen need to be way more organized. The meeting in Sedro-Woolley was packed but it seemed like it was just a lot of fishermen shouting at WDFW guys. I’m all for letting them know we smelled a bunch of BS but it would have been nice to have a solid voice to speak our frustration and let them know what we would like to see and what we wouldn’t tolerate.

I appreciate what you are taking on and I will do my part when and where I can. Thanks!

#984968 - 02/05/18 11:54 AM Re: Baywolf's Manifesto: Organize or Give Up. [Re: Bay wolf]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Baywolf,

Thanks for all you have done.
Have you ever spoken to the folks at Tidal Exchange?
They seem to be fighting for / against and exposing many of the same issues with our fisheries management you've been working on.
They already have a great website and could possibly help you fill the needs in your manifesto if you aligned with them.
SF

#985000 - 02/05/18 05:14 PM Re: Baywolf's Manifesto: Organize or Give Up. [Re: Bay wolf]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
I am all for organization and activism. Is there a reason existing organizations like CCA or PSA are insufficient? I worry that 20 small groups won't be as effective as one or two larger groups.

#985001 - 02/05/18 07:18 PM Re: Baywolf's Manifesto: Organize or Give Up. [Re: stonefish]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: stonefish
Baywolf,

Thanks for all you have done.
Have you ever spoken to the folks at Tidal Exchange?
They seem to be fighting for / against and exposing many of the same issues with our fisheries management you've been working on.
They already have a great website and could possibly help you fill the needs in your manifesto if you aligned with them.
SF

We've sent information on the petition and updates over the last year. They have been very cordial in mentioning our fight in some of their articles. We have also commented on several of their pieces drawing attention to destructive nature of Secret Meetings.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#985002 - 02/05/18 07:30 PM Re: Baywolf's Manifesto: Organize or Give Up. [Re: MPM]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: MPM
I am all for organization and activism. Is there a reason existing organizations like CCA or PSA are insufficient? I worry that 20 small groups won't be as effective as one or two larger groups.

We have many, many supporters who have signed our petition who are members of CCA and PSA. As I stated, both PSA and CCA are excellent organizations, who are involved in a good many different issues.

They are not able to focus all their energy on one single issue with a laser focus that this issue needs. Of course, they have voiced support and mentioned our petition in their news letter, but have not been able to laser focus on the issue of transparency.

I think in the big picture of ALL the issues in our fisheries, having transparency in all the meetings is a pretty low priority for the clubs and organization whose staff are on a first name basis with all the leadership in the department and Commission.

Further, I believe those that have been involved in the fisheries for a long time, already know that nothing can be done....therefore won't put a lot of effort into beating their head against the wall. Additionally, they have to maintain a good relationship with the department leadership and with the Commissioners, since they have to work together with them on a lot of other issues.

I don't know what the answer is. I don't know what it will take, or how to get this issue out into the main stream. We asked for emails to be sent, some did. We asked for everyone to show up at the Commission meetings, a few showed up. I think the message that the Commission got was that this "transparency thing" just isn't a really big deal to very many people.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#985022 - 02/06/18 08:50 AM Re: Baywolf's Manifesto: Organize or Give Up. [Re: Bay wolf]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I think the Commission heard WA Citizen Sportsmen on transparency, Departmental staff, not so much. For reasons still unclear to me, the Commission bought the AAG's kool aid. Getting their attention obviously wasn't quite enough. I think in order to make a point about transparency there need to be repercussions. There is only one repercussion both the Commission and Department management will understand and get the message real clear. Slash the Department's budget. The obvious target is the General Fund appropriation, which amounts to between 27 and 42% of the total Department budget. Sportsmen need to inform the Department that if they are not going to work for us - out in the light of day - then we aren't going to fund their existence. Seems simple to me.

I've come to the conclusion over the past couple years that WDFW needs a new business plan or model and paradigm shift anyway. Take away 30 to 40% of the money, and that should shake things up plenty.

#985026 - 02/06/18 09:03 AM Re: Baywolf's Manifesto: Organize or Give Up. [Re: Salmo g.]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
I think the Commission heard WA Citizen Sportsmen on transparency, Departmental staff, not so much. For reasons still unclear to me, the Commission bought the AAG's kool aid. Getting their attention obviously wasn't quite enough. I think in order to make a point about transparency there need to be repercussions. There is only one repercussion both the Commission and Department management will understand and get the message real clear. Slash the Department's budget. The obvious target is the General Fund appropriation, which amounts to between 27 and 42% of the total Department budget. Sportsmen need to inform the Department that if they are not going to work for us - out in the light of day - then we aren't going to fund their existence. Seems simple to me.

I've come to the conclusion over the past couple years that WDFW needs a new business plan or model and paradigm shift anyway. Take away 30 to 40% of the money, and that should shake things up plenty.

Salmo g, when you get a chance, can you contact me via the WCS email: OpenNOF@gmail.com Thanks.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1026 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645362 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |